Sonic Geometry - The langage of patterns.

This demonstration of complex wave functions and their result is wonderfully exemplified in this experiment.
Nice video, and fun to watch. But, I have to question whether it shows anything about wave functions. The motion of the various pendulums are not physically related. And the lengths were calculated (stated in the video) to achieve the desired effect. The motion of the several pendulums when seen together makes a pretty video but that doesn't provide any additional insight beyond the motion of a single pendulum. All that said, I enjoyed watching it.
ibil said; Nice video, and fun to watch. But, I have to question whether it shows anything about wave functions. The motion of the various pendulums are not physically related. And the lengths were calculated (stated in the video) to achieve the desired effect. The motion of the several pendulums when seen together makes a pretty video but that doesn’t provide any additional insight beyond the motion of a single pendulum. All that said, I enjoyed watching it.
They are related by their difference of wave functions. What you see in the artificial construct also happens in nature. That is what the experiment demonstrates. Throw a bunch of different wave lengths together and the result will range from chaos to harmony as is clearly demonstrated by the remarkable patterns that "emerge" from the different wave lengths activated by the same force.

A beautiful example is found in the pattern (image) of relative value which we identify as “4/3.”

W4U, That was a very cool demonstration. I too am not sure what I learned, but I can feel it. :wink:

Thanks that was fun.

Language of patterns and harmony?

Are you familiar with Charles Ives’, “Unanswered Question”?

The pendulum perfectly demonstrates this uncanny feeling of chaos resolving into momentary harmony and back to chaos.

IMO, Ives captured this intuitive recognition when we watch that wonderful dynamic interplay of relative wave values.

huong said; A beautiful example is found in the pattern (image) of relative value which we identify as “4/3.”
Roger Antonsen.... :)

Oh that Roger A.

I’m such a dullard when it comes to music. I listened to that, but rather than paying genuine attention I got lost in memories of symphony scores around the house and my dad practicing in the living room. Hadn’t seen one of those in decades, but when I was a kid they were all over. My dad the symphony and quartet cello player, plus jazz contra base, and night club hammond organ.

It was like looking at a magical language for this little kid. I felt so sorry for my Dad too, in that out of his five kids, none of are musically inclined beyond appreciating it. Though he had us all taking some lesson when we were young.