So, he solved qualia problem, what?

I’m listening along to a podcaster someone turned me on to, apparently his parents won a Noble for something about vision, and he does science on that too, and he just casually says that “there’s no way we all experience red the same way”, then they go talking about consciousness and stuff. Like, wait, what?

So I’m going to listen to this one tomorrow and see if he says anything more on it.

This is the one where he does it. I’ve lost spot. Somewhere after 50 minutes.

1 Like

To put it simply, the brain is a palette board with overlapping color sensitive “cones”. Each unique brain mixes sensory color input in just a slightly different way. Hence each brain experiences the same colors differently.

The most extreme case is color deficiency, where the brain is unable to make certain mixed colors.
People with color deficiency live in an alien world where that person only “sees” what his compromised cones allow. Many people cry from that realization when they try corrective glasses and see the “real” world for the first time.

I’m always trying to squeeze these amazing insights in while cleaning the garage. Skip to 57 minutes above in the emotional learning vid and listen for about 20 minutes. I want to get this while it’s fresh for me, so here’s the tip of the iceberg. She gets to talking about engaging emotions with learning. And, adds that we always are engaging our emotions, unless there is something wrong with us, but, in America, as we get into higher grades, we engage the emotion of memorizing and achieving, and passing tests. We stop engaging the childlike wonder we came to kindergarten with, and then we can’t figure why people aren’t loving science.

This is what happened to @citizenschallengev4 with the deep connection to time and the ever-evolving life on earth. It happens to some of us, and for some disciplines, some areas of interest. It’s related to parents and community and the teachers we had, formal and informal, but “we”, society, educational “experts”, don’t look at this. Instead, if someone has test anxiety, they treat that. It’s a symptom of the screwed-up system we have. The kid with test anxiety is not the problem.

So, lots more packed in that 20 minutes, but, there you have it.

Edit: Just before this, they talk about how everyone is capable of following the orders of a madman and committing horrific crimes against humanity. I’m not sure if that is needed for the rest to make sense or not.

But, you are missing the part where that Evolutionary awareness of where our various components came from, and the problems they solved in their day, and so on, translates itself into new awareness of why your body is as it is and what it’s all about. That awareness translates into better understanding of our own internal impulses and offers strategies for confronting them, and taming them.

Not to mention the advantage of having a personal relationship with deep time and Earth’s evolution when it comes time to die and disappear. Heck its even a bit of help in dealing with the deaths of others in our lives.

Show all the indignation you want, but the state of current society disintegration is evidence enough of this loss of personal meaning, and permeating sense, among masses, of being lost in a hopeless society that doesn’t care. It permeates legions of lost souls, of every strip.

You think it’s boring and repetitive, I think very important and it’s worth pounding away at until
I get it right and manage to touch few.

The notion that, your consciousness is the inside reflection of your body communicating with itself and dealing with the outside world and inside housekeeping,
is like that metaphorical string,
with the solution being one’s mindscape gathering ever more information, experience, facts, at certain points whole new insights are revealed, with increased understanding comes new ways of looking at previously confusing things and making better sense of it.

It’s an emergent thing.

1 Like

I don’t think the ideas you present are boring and repetitive, it’s that you keep repeating them and that you get defensive whenever your name is mentioned.

I’ve read your blog posts more than once, attempting to really get them. I do have a sense of them, and I’ve given you feedback about them, so if you think I don’t get them, you could address that. And you have, but there’s a difference between discussing something and demanding that I agree with everything you say.

The defensive thing is kind of new, and this is one of the more extreme examples. I’m pointing out something about learning here. You learned about evolution and all the things you list above here, and it struck you on a level that not everyone gets struck. Nothing wrong with that. Some people go play baseball for fun, and end up making a life out of it because it strikes them on a level that I could never understand. That’s what this post is about. But, here’s where it gets weird, I referred to you so you could see what I’ve been trying to describe lately, and instead of responding to that, you repeat your missive. Why would I repeat your entire thesis when I’m only referring to the point of inspiration?

Your claim that I am missing something is absolutely ridiculous. I’ve known you for how many years? If I’m talking about something and I mention that “pageant” thing that you talk about, you know exactly what I’m talking about. It makes no sense that I would say an entire paragraph about it at that point. It makes no sense that you would be bothered by me not repeating it in this context.

No I’m not, you are. The woman in this interview is amazing. She hated school, but loved learning, and through a series of circumstances, and sparked by her love of learning, that was sparked by a rock in Petosky and nurtured by people around her, she ends up discovery that it’s how we teach, not what we teach. We teach Calculus, but barely touch on the reason Newton invented it.

There are so many people who agree with your inspirational view of engaging with the universe. But lately, you’ve turned on me, because I’m pointing that out.

She tells her story, at about an hour and 45. It takes 5 minutes or so.

It feels like we’re talking apples and oranges.
I haven’t had time for the video yet, so will have to get back to you later.

But just from reading the description I notice not a mention of evolution - so at the risk of pissing you off even more, no you don’t get what I’m trying to get across, no matter how many time you tell me, you do, but . . .

just say’n.
It’s all good. :v: :cowboy_hat_face:

Jun 5, 2023 Huberman Lab

In this episode, my guest is Mary Helen Immordino-Yang, EdD, professor of education, psychology and neuroscience at the University of Southern California and director of the Center for Affective Neuroscience, Development, Learning and Education, who has done groundbreaking research on emotions, self-awareness and social interactions and how these impact the way we learn and change across our lifespan. She explains how an understanding of emotions can be leveraged to improve learning in children and in adults, and how the education system should be altered to include new forms of exploration and to facilitate better learning and to include more diverse learning (and teaching) styles. This episode ought to be of interest to anyone interested in how we learn, human development in children and adults, as well as those generally interested in education, psychology or neuroscience.

If she surprises me with something I find relatable, I’ll be happy to share. You did hit a home run with Robin Wall Kimmerer.

Regarding our impressions of our own body and taking evolution into accountant, I’m talking about the difference between a postcard and being there. It does matter.

Oh to be clear, I’m not dismissing Mary Helen Immordino-Yang, I’m sure she has a load of interesting things to share, I’m only saying from that description, I’d be surprised if she touches on what I’m trying to discuss. Which of course is a philosophical sort of thing, not a science thing.

His introduction was frightful to me, fortunately she rescued it.

Dr. Immordino-Yang: How Emotions & Social Factors Impact Learning | Huberman Lab Podcast

I think what you’ve noticed is actually fundamental to the conundrum
7:05
of being a human is that our most high level complex or in-states mind States are also fundamentally hooking themselves into the most basic biological Machinery that literally we share with alligators, that keeps us alive, and that is both the power and the potential of being a human, and the danger of it.
So our beliefs are experiences our interpretations of the meaning of things which that’s where the story comes in the stories that we conjure about you know collectively with other people culturally in spaces inside.

Well alrightie, I’m going to have to pull away from this in a moment, but she hooked me, I’ll be back to listen to the rest of her talk, soon as I can.

I pointed to 5 minutes. I need a little tit for tat. You spent 5 minutes typing other responses to me, but skipped the suggested 5 MINUTES.

I don’t have time if you won’t show some respect

Right, . . . so you found my previous post disrespectful?

Apologies from a crowded life with many interruptions.

I have a life too. Unless you are talking to a tombstone, that’s true of most conversations. I specifically bookmarked a point, and stated it was a 5 minute comment from the woman (not the supplement dealing podcaster). I did that out of respect for your time. But you spent your time as you please, as opposed to attempting to engage this conversation. That’s your right, but don’t complain when other people notice you doing that.

She’s fascinating and has a fascinating story, but miss the moral of your story.

Plus the title of threat throws me off, haven’t figured out how Qualia finds it’s way in there and
the O.P. was a tad too open ended. Excuse me for jumping in.

OK then, You’re excused.