Rejecting Evidence

I could think of a few people who could benefit from reading this.]
It’s about the psychology of ignoring evidence, how worldview is tied to identity and any attack on the view is taken as an attack on the whole person.

I experience this often with extended family members when discussing global warming or politics. I can understand it with religion because that is so tied into self-identity, but global warming? Facts are facts, but when presented with facts they go into bulldog attack ode and cannot think rationally.

In related news:
White Republicans blame Obama for their own bigotry]
Sixty-three percent of white Republicans say Obama has made race relations worse, compared with merely five percent of white Democrats. This one I can understand. Obama has exposed the rampant racism in the Republican party which these people cannot admit without admitting they are the problem.

In related news: White Republicans blame Obama for their own bigotry] Sixty-three percent of white Republicans say Obama has made race relations worse, compared with merely five percent of white Democrats. This one I can understand. Obama has exposed the rampant racism in the Republican party which these people cannot admit without admitting they are the problem.
I had it explained to me by some redneck in-laws, "It was okay when 'they' knew their place, but now that we got an uppity black president 'they' are all acting so much more uppity." But they also blame scientists for global warming... They think more bombs is going to solve the problems too many bombs created... Hell, they think they got a direct line to the God of Time and Creation... No surprise he, their God, turns out to be a petty insecure jealous Lord demanding nonstop adulation.
But they also blame scientists for global warming...
Yeah, they made those infernal steam and gasoline engines and electricity that requires coal plants. Then Europeans want to blame it on Humanity. :lol: psik
I could think of a few people who could benefit from reading this.] It's about the psychology of ignoring evidence, how worldview is tied to identity and any attack on the view is taken as an attack on the whole person.
Makes sense. I have had people say to the effect of "if you attack my idea, you are attacking me." Well, no actually I'm not. I value people as people, but it doesn't mean I need to respect all their ideas. If only I knew how to explain this to people and help them value evidence... This has to be one of the greatest challenges in scientific skepticism.
In related news: White Republicans blame Obama for their own bigotry] Sixty-three percent of white Republicans say Obama has made race relations worse, compared with merely five percent of white Democrats. This one I can understand. Obama has exposed the rampant racism in the Republican party which these people cannot admit without admitting they are the problem.
I think you're onto something important.