Regional American accents

What's up with Americans saying "uh-huh" instead of "you're welcome"? I have never seen anyone on TV say that, but it's seems very common otherwise. I don't like it at all. >:-(
I've never heard that. Either it isn't common where I live, or I'm 'running' with the wrong crowd... What they say in Southern California, in my experience, is "No problem!" which can be even more annoying than "uh-huh." ....and in the Bay Area, even that gets shortened to ''no prob'', although I still use "you're welcome". Lol!
“Mary" Christmas just sounds plain weird to my ear.
Just out of curiosity Asanta, what do you hear? Would merry sound like miiree? As I said, all three sound identical to me and Lois's example of merry sounding like curry is exactly the pronunciation of bury here. We burry people not Barry them. Cap't Jack
“Mary" Christmas just sounds plain weird to my ear.
Just out of curiosity Asanta, what do you hear? Would merry sound like miiree? As I said, all three sound identical to me and Lois's example of merry sounding like curry is exactly the pronunciation of bury here. We burry people not Barry them. Cap't Jack
Mary and Marry have the same 'a' sound as 'mare', for 'merry', I guess miiree is close, but not exact.
What's up with Americans saying "uh-huh" instead of "you're welcome"? I have never seen anyone on TV say that, but it's seems very common otherwise. I don't like it at all. >:-(
I've never heard that. Either it isn't common where I live, or I'm 'running' with the wrong crowd... What they say in Southern California, in my experience, is "No problem!" which can be even more annoying than "uh-huh." ....and in the Bay Area, even that gets shortened to ''no prob'', although I still use "you're welcome". Lol! Thanks for keeping up the standards, Asanta. :) Lois
Thanks for keeping up the standards, Asanta. :) Lois
No prob! :-P
Thanks for keeping up the standards, Asanta. :) Lois
No prob! :-P Ha! Perfect response! Lois

I think Asanta and I see the same pronunciation for “merry” with the e sounding like the one in Edward.
Occam

I say “merry,” “Mary,” and “marry” identically. I first noticed there was a difference for some people when I learned the tongue-twisting song “Mary Mac,” which has the chorus
Mary Mac’s mother’s making Mary Mac marry me.
My mother’s making me marry Mary Mac.
I’m gonna marry Mary for my Mary to take care of me.
We’ll all be makin’ merry when I marry Mary Mac.
On the recorded version I have, “merry” and “Mary” are the same (like “berry”) but “marry” has a long ‘a’ (almost like “father”). The singers are from N. Ireland and Germany, though, so not examples of an American variation.

I think Asanta and I see the same pronunciation for "merry" with the e sounding like the one in Edward. Occam
Exactly!

The test says I’m from SoCal, but it doesn’t factor in that I have a “Missoura Twang” and when I’m extremely tired, not caring if I say things for most people not from the area to understand, I am often “tar-erd”. Then again, my St. Louis accent with a “qwat of milk”, “qwater” etc sometimes comes out too.

Damn it, George, what have you done to me? Your question has caused me to be aware of that, and I'm going crazy about it. The younger they are the more likely the person is to say, "Uh huh." I was quite happy being oblivious; now I can't thank anyone for something without waiting for their response, and naturally, shuddering at the most frequent one, "uh huh". :snake: :lol: Occam

Sorry, Occam. :slight_smile: