Pets

I’ve been thinking, what’s everyone’s position on pets.
It’s obvious owning a pet does confer some emotional benefit for the human, but what about the animal? Are we doing any harm? I mean we do breed dogs and take the pups away from the mother to be raised by us. Can we be sure they are happy? Considering they must wear a collar and leash and depend on us to feed them. Doesn’t that rob them of their autonomy? Or is that just reading too much into things? Maybe that’s just forcing a human view onto them. It seems to me that as long as their needs are met they seem ok. I look at my dogs and they seem happy.

I've been thinking, what's everyone's position on pets. It's obvious owning a pet does confer some emotional benefit for the human, but what about the animal? Are we doing any harm? I mean we do breed dogs and take the pups away from the mother to be raised by us. Can we be sure they are happy? Considering they must wear a collar and leash and depend on us to feed them. Doesn't that rob them of their autonomy? Or is that just reading too much into things? Maybe that's just forcing a human view onto them. It seems to me that as long as their needs are met they seem ok. I look at my dogs and they seem happy.
Depends on the pet, I'd say. Dogs and cats have evolved along with us as companions, they'll be satisfied as long as we take care of them. Something strange like a pet tarantula or lizard is a different story, being more alien to humans.
I've been thinking, what's everyone's position on pets. It's obvious owning a pet does confer some emotional benefit for the human, but what about the animal? Are we doing any harm? I mean we do breed dogs and take the pups away from the mother to be raised by us. Can we be sure they are happy? Considering they must wear a collar and leash and depend on us to feed them. Doesn't that rob them of their autonomy? Or is that just reading too much into things? Maybe that's just forcing a human view onto them. It seems to me that as long as their needs are met they seem ok. I look at my dogs and they seem happy.
I've had cats and dogs (and fish and turtles). I don't know if breeding dogs is humane. Probably not, but we aren't going to be able to stop it. I had one purebred dog, a West Hiighland Terrier, a gift. The others were muts. The muts were healthier and stronger, though all of our dogs were good natured. The cats were muts, too. Nice cats. We had one for 17 years. She lived in the house but was allowed out, and survived New Jersey and Southern California, plus coyotes. We had dogs and cats at the same time. They got along fine. I would never have a cat that is not allowed out of the house. That's cruel, I think. It's one reason I don't have a cat now. My condo won't allow them out and I refuse to keep one in. I'd like to have a dog but I travel too much. So I am petless for the time being. Lois

Come over to my house and see how our pets act. The cats have no desire to go outside, and the dogs love people. Cruel? Are we being cruel? Hell no. The dogs are our companions. They love snuggling on the couch with us during the day and hogging the bed at night.

Come over to my house and see how our pets act. The cats have no desire to go outside, and the dogs love people. Cruel? Are we being cruel? Hell no. The dogs are our companions. They love snuggling on the couch with us during the day and hogging the bed at night.
Well, that's nice but I must disagree with you on this. Do you also keep your dogs housebound, and never let them out? Would they be so happy if you did? The reason your cats appear to "have no desire" to go outside is that you've kept them in their whole lives. They have never had any experience of being outside so they're naturally afraid of it. But IMO, it interferes with their nature. I think it's cruel to keep a pet housebound for the owners' pleasure and convenience. We like to say it's for the pets' safety but is it right to imprison them for their "safety"? Cats have natural defense mechanisms and they should be able to develop and use them. The are part of their nature. In my opinion, all animals should have access to the outdoors. Keeping cats in reminds me of Muslims who keep their wives housebound. Many of them, like your cats, probably have "no desire to go outside" because they'd be overwhelmed by fear and anxiety after being kept in their whole lives. Some Muslim societies will claim that women must be kept in for their safety, too, but we know the real reason. I think it's cruel for cats as well as wives. Lois

I became an accidental cat owner because it was that or bring them in for certain death.
We also have bird feeders. We have those because we realize people have taken away “natural” habitat and we should replace it. It’s also nice to have birds around. If we let the cats out, they would not only have what, to them, would be a baited trap, they would have the advantage of being rested and fed. This is nothing like nature at all.

Actually Lois, one of the cats was a stray kitten my son found near death next an apartment dumpster. He took her in 10 years ago and she’s a sweetheart, but afraid of her own shadow. The other is a rescue from a local shelter, and he loves playing with the dogs but ignores open doors. The dogs play outside a lot, and we take them for long walks in the local greenbelts and a state park. We’ve also socialized them with other dogs as puppies. Our current puppy just finished his second obedience class, and we plan to train him as a therapy dog. He loves meeting new people. Actually they both love meeting new people. If you’re ever in the Denver area stop by and see for yourself.

Actually Lois, one of the cats was a stray kitten my son found near death next an apartment dumpster. He took her in 10 years ago and she's a sweetheart, but afraid of her own shadow. The other is a rescue from a local shelter, and he loves playing with the dogs but ignores open doors. The dogs play outside a lot, and we take them for long walks in the local greenbelts and a state park. We've also socialized them with other dogs as puppies. Our current puppy just finished his second obedience class, and we plan to train him as a therapy dog. He loves meeting new people. Actually they both love meeting new people. If you're ever in the Denver area stop by and see for yourself.
Thanks. Lois

Well, we can clearly see that cats and dogs have a different outlook on being domesticated.
Below are the diaries of a dog and a cat.

The Dog’s Diary
8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing!
9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing!
9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing!
10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing!
12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing!
1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing!
3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing!
5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing!
7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing!
8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing!
11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing!
The Cat’s Diary,
Day 983 of My Captivity
My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets.
Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength.
The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter" I am.
Bastards!
There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage.
Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs.
I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now …

I kind of wondered if it was similar to prison really, and it seems hard to argue against it.
But then again I can’t say how the dogs feel. Maybe I’m just trying to apply human rule to animals, it seems like as long as they get what they need they’re ok.

It depends on your definition of prison. Several Presidents have called the White House a prison, nice, but a prison nevertheless. Presidents don’t have freedom to act independently. Those days have long gone. Sometimes they cheat and take an incognito stroll or a holiday at someone’s house.
It drives the “guardians” crazy, because of the logistics.

Well, we can clearly see that cats and dogs have a different outlook on being domesticated. Below are the diaries of a dog and a cat.
The Dog’s Diary 8:00 am - Dog food! My favorite thing! 9:30 am - A car ride! My favorite thing! 9:40 am - A walk in the park! My favorite thing! 10:30 am - Got rubbed and petted! My favorite thing! 12:00 pm - Milk bones! My favorite thing! 1:00 pm - Played in the yard! My favorite thing! 3:00 pm - Wagged my tail! My favorite thing! 5:00 pm - Dinner! My favorite thing! 7:00 pm - Got to play ball! My favorite thing! 8:00 pm - Wow! Watched TV with the people! My favorite thing! 11:00 pm - Sleeping on the bed! My favorite thing! The Cat’s Diary, Day 983 of My Captivity My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while the other inmates and I are fed hash or some sort of dry nuggets. Although I make my contempt for the rations perfectly clear, I nevertheless must eat something in order to keep up my strength. The only thing that keeps me going is my dream of escape. In an attempt to disgust them, I once again vomit on the carpet. Today I decapitated a mouse and dropped its headless body at their feet. I had hoped this would strike fear into their hearts, since it clearly demonstrates my capabilities. However, they merely made condescending comments about what a “good little hunter" I am. Bastards! There was some sort of assembly of their accomplices tonight. I was placed in solitary confinement for the duration of the event. However, I could hear the noises and smell the food. I overheard that my confinement was due to the power of “allergies." I must learn what this means, and how to use it to my advantage. Today I was almost successful in an attempt to assassinate one of my tormentors by weaving around his feet as he was walking. I must try this again tomorrow, but at the top of the stairs. I am convinced that the other prisoners here are flunkies and snitches. The dog receives special privileges. He is regularly released, and seems to be more than willing to return. He is obviously retarded. The bird must be an informant. I observe him communicate with the guards regularly. I am certain that he reports my every move. My captors have arranged protective custody for him in an elevated cell, so he is safe. For now ...
Very clever, and would be close to the truth if we could know cats' thoughts. Lois
It depends on your definition of prison. Several Presidents have called the White House a prison, nice, but a prison nevertheless. Presidents don't have freedom to act independently. Those days have long gone. Sometimes they cheat and take an incognito stroll or a holiday at someone's house. It drives the "guardians" crazy, because of the logistics.
But Presidents have asked for that "prison". In fact they have practically begged for it and have gone to great lengths to get it. A cat would know better. Lois

It’s just hard sometimes because I’m not really sure how I should feel towards my dogs. I love them, but I find it hard to argue against how keeping them bound to my home is what being a pet is.

I mean how do you argue against that?

It's just hard sometimes because I'm not really sure how I should feel towards my dogs. I love them, but I find it hard to argue against how keeping them bound to my home is what being a pet is.
If you are taking care of them, rest assured they're satisfied.
It's just hard sometimes because I'm not really sure how I should feel towards my dogs. I love them, but I find it hard to argue against how keeping them bound to my home is what being a pet is.
If you are taking care of them, rest assured they're satisfied. Maybe I'm just putting a human perspective on it
If you are taking care of them, rest assured they're satisfied. Maybe I'm just putting a human perspective on itThats what it sounds like, it can be harmful inadvertently to pets.
The whole point of raising a dog as a pet is to breed out and train out all natural dog-like behavior. People also try to breed out and train out natural cat-like behavior, but with much less success.
The whole point of raising a dog as a pet is to breed out and train out all natural dog-like behavior. People also try to breed out and train out natural cat-like behavior, but with much less success.
I disagree wholeheartedly. Dogs descended from wolves, and I'm confident you knew as much, but you seem to miss that very important point in your posts in this thread. I've studied the history of dogs a bit, and know that long ago some wolves hung out on the fringes of human hunter-gatherer camps and fed off food scraps. The wolves that were less fearful of humans fared better than wilder wolves, and over thousands of millennia were selectively bred for characteristics beneficial to humans. Early were our hunting partners, and with their help our ancient ancestors could bring down more game with less effort. Judging by how dogs act around babies I'd say protecting babies and children was also a very early selection criterion. Over time our ancestors began breeding dogs for specific purposes, including as house pets. Any "natural doglike behavior" behavior is breed specific and runs the gamut from herding sheep to protecting families to being a pocket decoration. Don't get me started on cats. Maybe in 100,000 years they'll be reliable and useful companions.