suspending the weight; i.e., the longer the
pendulum, the slower it swings.
Harvard students built a device with a series
of 15 pendulums in a row, each one slightly
longer than its neighbor, then set them in
motion and filmed the result.
The resulting patterns in this short video
are fascinating to watch…
Read the article to get an idea of what you’ll see in the video.

Very Cool Lois. Very cool!

Tremendous find Lois, thank you!
Can there be any further doubt as to possibility that wavelike action can translate into every possible configuration,
from chaos to complete synchronicity.
To me this feels so right from a Bohmian perspective of a Universal Holomovent (universal wavelike action).

Can there be any further doubt as to possibility that wavelike action can translate into every possible configuration, from chaos to complete synchronicity.
:question:
To me this feels so right from a Bohmian perspective of a Universal Holomovent (universal wavelike action).
The pendulums are just very precisely made, and then started exactly in sync. The wave you see is not a physical wave, in the sense that the pendulums are not causally interconnected. It is more something like a dynamic Moiré pattern].
Can there be any further doubt as to possibility that wavelike action can translate into every possible configuration, from chaos to complete synchronicity.
:question: I admit the conclusion was very premature and unsupported, but I found it absolutely revealing of some very fundamental universal laws.
The pendulums are just very precisely made, and then started exactly in sync. The wave you see is not a physical wave, in the sense that the pendulums are not causally interconnected. It is more something like a dynamic Moiré pattern].
It's hard to explain the abstraction, but I totally agree with your term "a dynamic". The initial condition is the same for all pendulums, (except for their potentiasl) and the activating force is identical for each. The single difference is their rate of oscillation due to the difference in the length of the pendulums.
What it shows: Fifteen uncoupled simple pendulums of monotonically increasing lengths dance together to produce visual traveling waves, standing waves, beating, and random motion. One might call this kinetic art and the choreography of the dance of the pendulums is stunning! Aliasing and quantum revival can also be shown.
The beauty of the experiment shows that a wavelike action may result obtained by uncoupled and non-connected objects under the right conditions. Intuitively this demonstrates to me the concept of string theory as well as Bohmian holomovement. The wavelike action is not caused by a single pendulum, but is a result of the motion of the entire system. To me it is obvious that some very fundamental spacetime properties (potentials) became explicate in the experiment.

Very cool. One thing though…the motion seemed to go on too long. Shouldn’t the pendulums have run out of steam much quicker? Or was there something at the top keeping the motion going?
As for string theory, if there’s a physicist in the house… I think string theory only uses the notion of vibrating strings as an analogy. And that it doesn’t really posit actually little strings that vibrate, like a little necklace of particles strung together somehow that vibrate.
Demo is still awesome though.

CuthbertJ, One thing though…the motion seemed to go on too long. Shouldn’t the pendulums have run out of steam much quicker? Or was there something at the top keeping the motion going?
I believe they timed the clip to repeat every 60 seconds.
author="CuthbertJ" date="1369171899"Very cool. One thing though...the motion seemed to go on too long. Shouldn't the pendulums have run out of steam much quicker? Or was there something at the top keeping the motion going? As for string theory, if there's a physicist in the house... I think string theory only uses the notion of vibrating strings as an analogy. And that it doesn't really posit actually little strings that vibrate, like a little necklace of particles strung together somehow that vibrate. Demo is still awesome though.
Is a vibration not a wave action? The vibration is always controlled by the length of the string (even a virtual string). IMO, whenever in this ocean of vibrations and wavelike actions, these waves begin to form "harmonics" and the particles inside the harmonic wave becomes explicate when observed. All of reality is a symphony of waves (potentials) made manifest in infinite combinations and expressions.
In addition the above concepts, Bohm developed a way to measure the complexity of order. To illustrate this with the simplest of examples, consider the infinite sequence of digits 2525252525. . . This sequence is said to have order of second degree, because two items of information (the digits 2 and 5) are required to fully specify the sequence. By the same token, the sequence 264926492649. . . has order of fourth degree, because four digits are required to specify it (namely, 2, 6, 4, 9). Now consider the sequence 601324897. . . What is its order? This is difficult to say. At first glance, it appears to be an arbitrary sequence of digits because there is no discernible order. However, as the sequence continues, we might discover that it is really the following sequence: 601324897601324897601324897. . . in which case it has ninth degree, because the first nine digits are repeated forever. Or, we might find out that it is a sequence of hundredth degree, or millionth degree. Or, the sequence might never exhibit any discernible order whatever, in which case we say it is a sequence of infinite degree. Such a degree we usually think of as a random sequence. In any case, notice that we must know the context to determine the order of the sequence.
http://www.vision.net.au/~apaterson/science/david_bohm.htm#CONTENTS:
The universe is not separate from this cosmic sea of energy, it is a ripple on its surface, a comparatively small "pattern of excitation" in the midst of an unimaginably vast ocean. "This excitation pattern is relatively autonomous and gives rise to approximately recurrent, stable and separable projections into a three-dimensional explicate order of manifestation," states Bohm.[12]
http://fusionanomaly.net/davidbohm.html Somehow, I feel that the pendulum experiment, confirms the bold sentence and to me it presents a vision that all those movements where already potentially there, even as the pendulum was not yet activated. After activation the inherent potentials became explicated in the recurring patterns which we see become manifest right in front of us. I am way out of my comfort zone here, but I hope that someone may recognize some valid common theme.

One last reference to what the pendulum experiment presented to me in regard to Bohmian concept of holomovement.

Generalizing, so as to emphasize undivided wholeness, we can say that the holomovement, which is an unbroken and undivided totality, ‘carries’ implicate order. In certain cases, we can abstract particular aspects of the holomovement (e.g. light, electrons, sound, etc.), but more generally, all forms of the holomovement merge and are inseparable. Thus in its totality, the holomovement is not limited in any specifiable way at all. It is not required to conform to any particular order, or to be bounded by any particular measure. Thus, the holomovement is undefinable and immeasurable." (151).
http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/holomovement Ok, I have tried my best to explain my intuitions. I await critique.......

Write, I’m afraid that quantum mechanics and the specific topic that you present here, is above my IQ grade. But my very unenlightened sense is that you may be onto something.

“Thus, the holomovement is undefinable and immeasurable.” Unfortunately this starts to sound like so much “god talk”. If it’s undefinable, and unmeasurable, then how is it the author just spent X pages talking about it? I’m not saying this author is somehow devious. It’s just that unless he can come up with some kind of effect, or physical sign, or even a mental sign, that he can prove is a direct result of this holomovement, then it’s just words, as sublime as they might seem.

CuthbertJ, One thing though…the motion seemed to go on too long. Shouldn’t the pendulums have run out of steam much quicker? Or was there something at the top keeping the motion going?
I believe they timed the clip to repeat every 60 seconds.
I mean the pendular motion, not the length of the clip. If you've ever played with small pendulums similar to these you see that they lose energy very quickly and their wavelength (distance from left side of motion to right side of motion, roughly) diminishes just as quickly. These seemed to stay in motion too long. But like I said, no "conspiracy" here, just seemed odd.
Excellent analogy. psik
"Thus, the holomovement is undefinable and immeasurable." Unfortunately this starts to sound like so much "god talk". If it's undefinable, and unmeasurable, then how is it the author just spent X pages talking about it?
Because he was an eminent theoretical physicist and could back up his propositions with hard science. Einstein thought Bohm had something to say. I'll accept that as a good reference.
I'm not saying this author is somehow devious. It's just that unless he can come up with some kind of effect, or physical sign, or even a mental sign, that he can prove is a direct result of this holomovement, then it's just words, as sublime as they might seem.
Look at the pendulum at rest. The beautiful patterns that it will create are already present in the Implicate (potential). When we activate the pendulum, these hidden, immeasurable and undefinable potentials become Explicate in reality. I also really feel there is a fundamental aspect of string theory "at play".
If you've ever played with small pendulums similar to these you see that they lose energy very quickly and their wavelength (distance from left side of motion to right side of motion, roughly) diminishes just as quickly.
I made the important word bold. If the threads are flexible and light enough, and the weights heavy, then energy loss does not go that fast (relatively!). The 'wavelength', or better the frequency, stays more or less the same all the time. 'More or less', because the physical pendulum is not an exact harmonic oscillator. And the energy loss is manifested in less amplitude.
All of reality is a symphony of waves (potentials) made manifest in infinite combinations and expressions.
A new version of this?
"Thus, the holomovement is undefinable and immeasurable." Unfortunately this starts to sound like so much "god talk". If it's undefinable, and unmeasurable, then how is it the author just spent X pages talking about it? I'm not saying this author is somehow devious. It's just that unless he can come up with some kind of effect, or physical sign, or even a mental sign, that he can prove is a direct result of this holomovement, then it's just words, as sublime as they might seem.
I am afraid he is right, Write. Here ]is an example of a real wave in a wave machine. In this machine the pendula are physically connected, so there is a causal connection between the pendula. Of course not so beautiful as the video in Lois OP, but at least it shows a real wave.
I think string theory only uses the notion of vibrating strings as an analogy. And that it doesn't really posit actually little strings that vibrate, like a little necklace of particles strung together somehow that vibrate.
Well, yes and no. Dimensions in physics become abstract very soon. E.g. phase space ]of 4 particles has 4x3 space dimensions plus 4x3 momentum dimension = 24 dimensions. Also think about the use of complex numbers ](numbers with a real component and an imaginary component (square root of -1)) in quantum mechanics. One calculates with it, but when it is about observations, it must be translated to real observations. My educated guess is that something similar holds for string theory. The math of string theory only works if one assumes 11, or 24 (or whatever) dimensions, and string theory started by theorizing about the structure of 1 dimensional objects in this multi-dimensional space; but the latest when it is about observations, one has to translate back to events in our normal 3-dimensional space. But I happily wait for a real physicist to answer your question exactly...
If you've ever played with small pendulums similar to these you see that they lose energy very quickly and their wavelength (distance from left side of motion to right side of motion, roughly) diminishes just as quickly.
I made the important word bold. If the threads are flexible and light enough, and the weights heavy, then energy loss does not go that fast (relatively!). The 'wavelength', or better the frequency, stays more or less the same all the time. 'More or less', because the physical pendulum is not an exact harmonic oscillator. And the energy loss is manifested in less amplitude.
All of reality is a symphony of waves (potentials) made manifest in infinite combinations and expressions.
A new version of this?
"Thus, the holomovement is undefinable and immeasurable." Unfortunately this starts to sound like so much "god talk". If it's undefinable, and unmeasurable, then how is it the author just spent X pages talking about it? I'm not saying this author is somehow devious. It's just that unless he can come up with some kind of effect, or physical sign, or even a mental sign, that he can prove is a direct result of this holomovement, then it's just words, as sublime as they might seem.
I am afraid he is right, Write. I think Bohm tried to make a distinction between the Implicate (a set of causal potentials), which is not yet defined or measurable, and the interaction (harmonics) of those causal potentials into a final state of the Explicate in our present reality which is well defined and observable, which indeed includes sound waves as a subset . I believe this concept is demonstrated in the pendulum experiment.