Oh Oh Snow

I don’t hate coal. I have coal in my veins. I’m a descendant of coal miners.
Welsh or Appalachian? Cap't Jack
Unfortunately Lois they make up a majority of the gene pool, but maybe a few will win a Darwin award! Here's yet another glaring example: a chemical spill near Charleston, WVa. Has shut down the water supply for nine counties and a few of the residents posted on Facebook that Obama was to blame. They heard that FEMA was responsible for the spill. Oh, and they also blamed Obama for the New Orleans fiasco. I might as well throw this in too while I'm at it; he's also the Antichrist, and a Muslim, and hates coal. Cap't Jack
In Canada it's frequent crude oil train derailments and the drive to build massive pipelines to carry tar sands crude to either the Gulf coast of the US or the east or west coast of Canada where it can be shipped to Europe or Asia. The hazard of climate change aside a lot of people are being killed already by oil spills and more are having to be evacuated from dangerous spills. A town in Quebec has already had its down town burned out and there have been serious spills in Alberta and New Brunswick recently. But we're all expected to pretend that everything is just fine and the government even goes so far as to help us out by shutting down research institutes and throwing away or burning priceless data collected for decades or even a century or more. http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/12/23/Canadian-Science-Libraries/ It's possible as a species we're staging our our Darwin Awards.
I don’t hate coal. I have coal in my veins. I’m a descendant of coal miners.
Welsh or Appalachian? Cap't Jack
Eastern Pennsylvania. anthracite. Irish. Lois

Ah, the birthplace of the oil industry! My wife’s best friend comes from Penn. coal country and her father was a mine inspector. Like most of them he contracted black lung but managed to hit his eighties before it finally got him. Dangerous and dirty business mining. Ever see the movie Matewan?
Cap’t Jack

But we’re all expected to pretend that everything is just fine and the government even goes so far as to help us out by shutting down research institutes and throwing away or burning priceless data collected for decades or even a century or more.
And I thought the Canadians were more environmentally conscious than us. How disappointing. Cap't Jack
And I thought the Canadians were more environmentally conscious than us. How disappointing. Cap't Jack
Many of us are, unfortunately due to divisive politics we've ended up with a really reactionary government that's doing a lot of damage both here and abroad.
But we're all expected to pretend that everything is just fine and the government even goes so far as to help us out by shutting down research institutes and throwing away or burning priceless data collected for decades or even a century or more. http://thetyee.ca/News/2013/12/23/Canadian-Science-Libraries/ It's possible as a species we're staging our our Darwin Awards.
Man it just never lets up does it. The Corporate Free Market warriors keep out doing themselves. They not only lie about science but since that can only work for so long, now their next strategy is to destroy it. :down:
Ah, the birthplace of the oil industry! My wife's best friend comes from Penn. coal country and her father was a mine inspector. Like most of them he contracted black lung but managed to hit his eighties before it finally got him. Dangerous and dirty business mining. Ever see the movie Matewan? Cap't Jack
No, i didn't see it. However, my great grandfather was a member of the Ancient Order of Hibernians and we think he might have had something to do with the Molly Maguires--another fascinating era. Lois