Of Orcas and Sharks

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/30/africa/orcas-great-whites-south-africa-scli-intl-scn/index.html

Just an interesting article on a changing ecosystem.
I also find orcas very interesting … and smart.

Researchers also analyzed five great white shark carcasses been found washed up on the shore, four with their nutrient-rich livers removed and one with its heart taken out as well. They all had wounds made by the same pair of orcas, which have likely killed more great whites, say researchers.

I read that article. The question is, why are they doing it? Food? They aren’t selling livers on the blackmarket, I’m sure. They are smart, but I don’t think that smart or even capable, unless there is something we don’t know about Orcas and economics.

They may be harvesting them for the deep sea aliens. :face_with_spiral_eyes: :rofl: :crazy_face:

:rofl: ROFL You know, there is an alien show we watch on Sling where the Octopus and other sea creatures are aliens. It’s called “Resident Alien”. So you might be right. :joy:

If you’re interested, check out the book Beneath the Surface. Very interesting about Seaworld’s treatment of Orcas, but also has alot on the animals themselves. Evidently they actually ARE very intelligent and social.

Did someone say octopus? How about, interviews with a water bound alien?

Interview with My Octopus Teacher Director, Pippa Ehrlich

An interview with Pippa Ehrlich, the director of My Octopus Teacher! Learn about her connection the kelp forest, how she started working with Craig Foster to make My Octopus Teacher, what the process involved and some of the crazier stories along the way!

Natural history filmmaker Craig Foster was burnt out and depressed when he decided to put his career on hold. He took up daily diving at home in Cape Town, South Africa, and it was in the ocean that he struck up an unusual friendship with a wild octopus. Filmed over an eight-year period, “My Octopus Teacher” documents this unique bond and the valuable lessons it taught about balance and connection to the natural world. The film won a best documentary BAFTA and an Oscar.

Originally aired on April 19, 2021.

1 Like

That’s wasn’t the show I was talking about, but seems interesting.

You just now figuring out that they are? I’ve known that for a while.

I was watching “The Unexplained”, a series hosted by William Shatner - more entertainment than intellectual - and there was a brief mention that orcas can learn the language of dolphins.

Found an article on it:
https://www.livescience.com/48231-killer-whales-talk-like-dolphins.html

Just watched My Octopus Teacher - :+1::+1:

I’ve seen the shell trick somewhere before, but not the Shark Escape!

1 Like