Kowloon Walled City, the self organizing nature of humanity

(Atlas Obscura)
Speaking of humanism, lowercase. :wink:

As in recognizing one’s individual biological self.

Recognizing our social nature, the family of humanity, the need for cooperation.

Recognizing there are no skyhooks, no God out in the heavens guiding us, no metaphysical guides either - we are stuck with ourselves and must be responsible for ourselves.

It’s also about understanding that our god’s come from within our own hearts and minds, individual to each.

Accepting responsibility for oneself, no longer needing God to lean on.

After that it’s sharing variations, as complex or simple as one cares.

The world of philosophical discourse can drown a person in words.
Then there’s a real world, where people do what they do. All that musing was triggered by a couple videos I watched today.

I’ve read about this Kowloon Walled City every once in a while, but never saw a video before. Talk about a mind blowing trip. I mean long ago I was a Chicago boy so am not unfamiliar with city crowds and alleys, but this thing is beyond comprehension. It no longer exists, but it did, and I’m aware there are lots of worse with equally crowded curious communities that arouse organically and are surviving today.
Seems that each must have achieved some sort of culture and internal organization.

Do any schools of philosophical debate have something to offer for such people?
Or for us to better understand this organic self organization of human communities in super crowded situations.

I was curious to compare the 40 acreage I’m privileged (blessed) to be able to live on, total population 4 adults 2 kids. It quite took my breath away. 6.5 acres, near 50,000 people at max population. Maddy takes me over more land than that on our walks.

It’s mind blowing. How do they do it?

The Densest City In The World Had A (Strange) Secret

DamiLee - September 24, 2023

00:00 INTRO

01:18 KOWLOON WALLED CITY ORIGIN STORY

02:57 THE RHIZOME

08:00 DYNAMIC MENTAL MAPS

09:16 THE WALLS

10:27 THE HEART OF KOWLOON

11:56 THE SPIRIT OF KOWLOON

Here’s a deeper dive into the history in a pretty good 17 minute video:

1 Like