Is Reality "Intelligent"?

But many feel a need to make it more because fundamentally we humans are as self-conceited and arrogant as can be imagined. It’s always all about us.

My philosopher pal Paul Mealing wound up putting it quite succinctly:

But, relevant to your missive, he got very philosophical at the end, commenting that why simple life might be widespread in the Universe, complex life leading to civilisations is probabilistically low. He then made a point I’ve made many times myself – it’s only ‘We who give the Universe meaning’.

John Wheeler: ‘The Universe gave birth to consciousness and consciousness gives meaning to the Universe.’

I’m still wrestling with how to respond without offending, because to me it’s downright offensive, and seems to me the quintessential essence of this Abrahamic Arrogance and self absorption, that I speak of.

How could math not work ?!?
The universe has to be exquisitely fine-tuned to itself, with an internal consistency, or it would fall part.

Math is what inevitably comes out when reflecting on the built in consistencies that the universe obviously possesses.

It’s more an Human Ego Thing, as the long history Write shared with us illustrates. All those thinkers over simplified and over assessed their own understanding, and further learning has always shown the natural world to be vastly more complex, interwoven, and consistent on a fundamental level than the human intellect is capable of imagining.

Has nothing to do with being fine-tuned for our benefit because we happened to be the species that could take it all in, and remember, and record and absorb the enormity.

Until a few observant and introspective souls can figure out,
I am the eye’s of the universe.

I am a thread in the tapestry of Earth’s Evolutionary Pageant, and this moment is mine, and it is good.

In the end, that’s about me and not the universe, but it’s a great poem to live with, a great thought to imagine the drive of Life with, given all the correct breaks, to gain the capability to finally recognize and contemplate the universe that created itself - that is who we are, and all we are, sadly too few recognize as much.

Excuse the excursion . . .

Is Reality “Intelligent” - like everything else it depends on the frame of reference you set up.

Define your reality?
Define your intelligence?
Then compare.
:v:t2: :wink:

1 Like