Harold Camping Going Broke?

Maybe there really is a God!]

Two years ago, radio evangelist Harold Camping was predicting the end of the world. Now, longtime aides say his false predictions are likely to result in the end of his California-based Family Radio ministry. The Contra Costa Times reported that the ministry has sold its prominent stations and laid off veteran staffers, with net assets dropping from $135 million in 2007 to $29.2 million in 2011, according to tax records. The newspaper said Family Radio has sold its three largest radio stations, and saw its cash on hand drop from $1.5 million to $282,880 in 2011. Since the incorrect prediction, donations have dropped 70 percent, ministry insiders told the newspaper. Records indicate the network took out a loan to keep going.
Aww, that's terrible!

Poor Herold, and you’d thought he would have predicted it! Oh well, you know what Lincoln said about fooling people. On a brighter side, for nones that is, it appears the Creation museum may eventually go the way of the dinosaur as well. No Noah’s ark theme park either. Where will they put all those animals?

Cap’t Jack

Hmmm… Maybe deception doesn’t pay when you get caught up in believing the lie yourself.

At this point, I wonder, with all his false prediction and swindling people out of their money, if anyone cares.

At this point, I wonder, with all his false prediction and swindling people out of their money, if anyone cares.
The minute another glib preacher comes up with another prediction "the faithful" will follow him and they'll bring money. It never fails and 'the faithful" never learn no matter how many times they've been duped. Religion's like that. Lois
The minute another glib preacher comes up with another prediction “the faithful" will follow him and they’ll bring money. It never fails and ‘the faithful" never learn no matter how many times they’ve been duped. Religion’s like that.
Case in point, Jim and Tammy Baker. They took in millions for their xtian theme park and most of it went to support their lavish lifestyle (religion pays off for some; I guess they forgot the bible passage, "jesus saves")They even boasted of an air conditioned doghouse for their fundie pooches. And even after the swindle went public the faithful still sent their hard earned cash. The key word is faith. All Tammy had to do was cry, smudge her makeup and the cash came tumbling in. Cap't Jack
The minute another glib preacher comes up with another prediction “the faithful" will follow him and they’ll bring money. It never fails and ‘the faithful" never learn no matter how many times they’ve been duped. Religion’s like that.
Case in point, Jim and Tammy Baker. They took in millions for their xtian theme park and most of it went to support their lavish lifestyle (religion pays off for some; I guess they forgot the bible passage, "jesus saves")They even boasted of an air conditioned doghouse for their fundie pooches. And even after the swindle went public the faithful still sent their hard earned cash. The key word is faith. All Tammy had to do was cry, smudge her makeup and the cash came tumbling in. Cap't Jack
This is true. There will still be gullible people looking for a "prophetic saviour", which is sad really. They can't rely or think for themselves.
“Fundraising is really tough," Zovath said, blaming the recession. “It’s not moving so fast as we hoped." The private LLC that is building the park would need to raise another $20 million before it can break ground, he said. So far, it’s taken in $5.6 million in donations and $17 million in private investments.
Oh no... there's another one in the works. Keep sending in those nickels and dimes.
‘Creation Science Hall of Fame’ Set to Open in Kentucky http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2012/08/30/creation-science-hall-of-fame-set-to-open-in-kentucky/
. . . He estimates the organization will need to raise between $2 million and $3 million to begin construction. The group will consider vacant land as well as the renovation of an existing site for the museum. The museum will focus on biographical exhibits featuring individuals rather than historical artifacts.
As if there were historical artifacts… One interesting note: Between all the deceased inductees, the living inductees, and the honorable mentions, I can’t find a single woman on the list. (So congratulations to all women!)

They already got 22,600,000$ and need another 20mil?
jeez a million sure doesn’t go as far as it used to.
Makes you wonder who’s holding on to the 22.6 million$ and how many leaks are in that bucket :coolhmm:

I honestly don’t see how the vast majority of churches are surviving, financially. From everything I’ve read, church attendance across traditional Christian churches has been in steady decline for decades, especially in Europe.

I honestly don't see how the vast majority of churches are surviving, financially. From everything I've read, church attendance across traditional Christian churches has been in steady decline for decades, especially in Europe.
But contributions seem to be increasing for fundamentalist churches and mega-churches. And the money is apparently pouring in for such things as the Noah's Ark Park. Traditional churches are apparently not dramatic enough. Not enough fire and brimstone to bring in the big bucks.
I honestly don't see how the vast majority of churches are surviving, financially. From everything I've read, church attendance across traditional Christian churches has been in steady decline for decades, especially in Europe.
But contributions seem to be increasing for fundamentalist churches and mega-churches. And the money is apparently pouring in for such things as the Noah's Ark Park. Traditional churches are apparently not dramatic enough. Not enough fire and brimstone to bring in the big bucks. Just my personal opinion, but I kind of think we will see this stop (like in the next decade, maybe two). I am part of generation Y (I am 26) and I really don't know anyone my age who takes traditional Christianity too seriously. The born-after-1980 crowd seems to almost be moving more in the direction of Europe.
But contributions seem to be increasing for fundamentalist churches and mega-churches. And the money is apparently pouring in for such things as the Noah’s Ark Park. Traditional churches are apparently not dramatic enough. Not enough fire and brimstone to bring in the big bucks.
Mainstream religious institutions are shunning the evangelical charismatic form of worship that fired up our ancestors during the 2nd Great Awakening. It's not considered polite any more to burst out a string of vocables (glossalalia), fling your hands in the air shouting hallelujahs or falling in the carpeted isles in religious ecstasy. That's why the megachurches are becoming popular. Bands play, people sing, shouting is accepted and all manner religious manifestation is usually allowed. Plus they have active youth programs to encourage the young. Those are the ones you want anyway. And as to money, these "churches" take in millions of dollars in tithes and fees but much of it goes either to the leader and to maintain the buildings. They don't much care for projects outside of their own institutions. A big chunk of the funding for these religious theme parks comes from well heeled conservative xtians looking for a tax write off and individual contributors who can buy a piece of the ark for a souvenir. Besides, Ken Hamm's org. Is funding most of it. How people can be so self deceiving is beyond me. Cap't Jack
But contributions seem to be increasing for fundamentalist churches and mega-churches. And the money is apparently pouring in for such things as the Noah’s Ark Park. Traditional churches are apparently not dramatic enough. Not enough fire and brimstone to bring in the big bucks.
Mainstream religious institutions are shunning the evangelical charismatic form of worship that fired up our ancestors during the 2nd Great Awakening. It's not considered polite any more to burst out a string of vocables (glossalalia), fling your hands in the air shouting hallelujahs or falling in the carpeted isles in religious ecstasy. That's why the megachurches are becoming popular. Bands play, people sing, shouting is accepted and all manner religious manifestation is usually allowed. Plus they have active youth programs to encourage the young. Those are the ones you want anyway. And as to money, these "churches" take in millions of dollars in tithes and fees but much of it goes either to the leader and to maintain the buildings. They don't much care for projects outside of their own institutions. A big chunk of the funding for these religious theme parks comes from well heeled conservative xtians looking for a tax write off and individual contributors who can buy a piece of the ark for a souvenir. Besides, Ken Hamm's org. Is funding most of it. How people can be so self deceiving is beyond me. Cap't Jack
Everything in the mega-churches is geared to stimulate the motor neurons in the brain, making sure the majority of people "feel the Holy Spirit" and most of those people, who believe it, don't have a clue about external stimuli triggering neurons in the brain to give them those feelings. Young people are esp susceptible to these scam artists because they aren't yet college educated and easily brainwashed. Of course, they also encourage the young people within their grasp not to go to Secular and/or State universities and make every effort to divert them to Xian colleges, to keep them "in the fold". It borders on cult-like behaviour.

It is harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to go through the “Eye of the Needle.” :lol: :lol:

It is harder for a rich man to get into heaven than for a camel to go through the "Eye of the Needle." :lol: :lol:
When I was in Lutheran confirmation class I asked our pastor about this. His explanation was that Roman archways were called needles and camels had to crouch to get through them. that is quite a rationalization.

Not to be crude, but isn’t Harold Camping almost 90 years old? So does it matter at this point? I am familiar with his ministry and heard those who plan to take over will lead the ministry in a less-radical, more traditional manner.

Yes, he is at least 90, last I read. Recently, he’s had some health issues too.

Yes, he is at least 90, last I read. Recently, he's had some health issues too.
91, to be exact, and he had a stroke two years ago.

I am an ex-Christian and used to be a faithful adherent to Camping’s ministry. Back when he was adamantly predicting the end of the world, I called his ministry to order a book he wrote about end times and I asked the phone rep if she personally agreed with Camping and she openly admitted there are staff within the ministry who do not agree with everything Camping preaches. She said there are differing views among staff, surprisingly–I really wasn’t expecting her to answer the question.