Gregory Ganssle - How Belief Systems Affect Believers - Closer to Truth's

Nice link.

But this paragraph is confusing to me.

So 11 years ago, when astronomers suddenly realized that the universe was not merely expanding but accelerating in its expansion, most of them concluded that some otherwise undetectable antigravity force, a “dark energy,” was shoving apart galaxies.

An alternative possibility, however, can explain the observations as a fluke of cosmological geometry. It avoids invoking dark energy as an ad hoc cause but at the price of throwing out the Copernican principle: roughly speaking, it puts Earth, or at least our galaxy, back at the center of the observable universe. Timothy Clifton and Pedro G. Ferreira explore that idea in “[Does Dark Energy Really Exist?]
(Does Dark Energy Really Exist? | Scientific American)”

The earth or the galaxy is the center of the universe? That sentence makes no sense whatsoever! The universe started as a singularity without a center. Every spacetime coordinate of the expanding singularity is the center of the universe.

And what does an expanding universe have to do with life on earth?
Are we inventing something mystical?
These are wild and unfounded flights of fancy and speculation.

Fine but you can’t lay that at my feet.
Earth Centrism is a purely psychological concept.

Although here’s a brain tease, why not consider I/m the center of the universe? I can trace a line directly from my existence today, all the way back to the Cosmic singularity, so am I not the center of the universe.

Oh, You can you can claim the same thing?

Well, ain’t that fact.

Will the real center please stand up. :wink: that emoji needs a big fat smoking cigar.
:sunglasses: and this one is missing the cowboy hat. I really need to learn to make my own.

Oh on reread I see you said that already.

Send John Rennie an email, via:

He might have a logical explanation.
Do share, if he answers.

Oh, incidentally, Hameroff never answered my email asking about the source of his c elegans story, a source he fails to cite in his description. And (if you’re wondering) that was very clean email, short to the point, civil, no picky picky opining - just a straight forward question of the sort I usually receive a reply to. (when emailing scientists in general)

Check this out;
http://wbg.wormbook.org/wli/wbg11.4p115/

and this may be of interest. C elegans is a popular baby in the science world!

Working with Worms: Caenorhabditis elegans as a Model Organism

Abstract

Since its introduction as a laboratory organism 50 years ago, the nematode worm Caenorhabditis elegans has become one of the most widely used and versatile models for nearly all aspects of biological and genomic research. Many experiments in C. elegans begin with the generation and analysis of mutants that affect a specific biological process, so genetic techniques are the foundation of worm research.

Many different aspects of biology are being studied in C. elegans, and three different recent Nobel Prizes have recognized six researchers working with worms. In addition, C. elegans was the first multicellular organism to have its genome sequenced, so many of the standard genomic methods have also been pioneered in C. elegans. In fact, many novel techniques and ideas are initially tested in C. elegans because of its versatility as a research organism. It is also appropriate for introducing undergraduate students to research, and some of its strengths and challenges for this purpose are discussed. © 2019 The Authors.

The worm research community is well-known as an exceptionally interactive and collaborative group. This community spirit likely arose because nearly all of the early researchers who adopted C. elegans worked at the MRC Cambridge, often with each other, and conveyed this attitude to their research students. In the early days, the spirit was to understand every aspect of how a worm “works” using mutant analysis, a task that was obviously much larger than any individual could imagine undertaking. Information, genetic strains, tips on techniques, and so on were freely and informally shared, often well before the papers themselves were published.

A 4-min video of embryogenesis is shown in the WormAtlas at Embryo Introduction.

https://currentprotocols.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/action/doSearch?AllField=microtubules

35 page pdf: https://currentprotocols.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1002/cpet.35

Interesting, but that’s simply descriptive, I’m wondering about the paper behind these comments. (Study done by other researcher)

3:55

according to brain mapping if we map every connection every neuron every

4:01

synapse and recreated in a computer will have the equivalence of the brain and we can download our consciousness we pay a

4:07

couple hundred billion dollars and live forever or be conscious in some kind of artificial medium freeze your brain now

4:12

and wake up later and all that kind of stuff well somebody got wise and said well before we worry about a brain or

4:18

even a mouse let’s try a simple system like a worm C elegans because every

4:24

neuron every synapse in C elegans is known it was it was mapped 10 or 15 years ago so they

4:31

put these into it put it into a computer and a big fanfare and then the day came when they press the button and nothing

4:37

happened a worm didn’t move they just kind of lay there like like nothing and so there’s something missing now let’s …

I’m not doubting embryogenesis, still it’s a distraction to this particular question:

Who was it that tried to replicate C elegans in a computer?

OpenWorm

OpenWorm is an international open science project for the purpose of simulating the roundworm Caenorhabditis elegans at the cellular level.[1][2][3] Although the long-term goal is to model all 959 cells of the C. elegans, the first stage is to model the worm’s locomotion by simulating the 302 neurons and 95 muscle cells. This bottom up simulation is being pursued by the OpenWorm community.

As of 2014, a physics engine called Sibernetic has been built for the project and models of the neural connectome and a muscle cell have been created in NeuroML format. A 3D model of the worm anatomy can be accessed through the web via the OpenWorm browser. The OpenWorm project is also contributing to develop Geppetto,[4] a web-based multi-algorithm, multi-scale simulation platform engineered to support the simulation of the whole organism.[5]
OpenWorm - Wikipedia ??

Dang, Google is a great tool, if you can come up with the right search term.
Thank you, yes, that looks like the one. Time for more digging, soon as Maddy stops scratching on the door.

1 Like