God: Bible More Important Than People and Buildings

Seems to be the takeaway from what’s been found in the rubble of a church that was blown up in Harlem by a gas explosion. God unable/unwilling to stop blast that killed 8, but was able to save Bible belonging to a church at the center of the blast.]

An uplifting moment from the painstaking recovery effort came Saturday as crews pulled a large water-damaged Bible from the rubble of the Spanish Christian Church, which had been located in one of the two buildings. About two dozen people carried the Bible in a solemn procession near the East Harlem site. "This was in the depths of the rubble. Somehow God protected it," said Rick del Rio, a bishop at the Church of God. The Rev. Thomas Perez, pastor of the Spanish Christian Church, had heart palpitations when he saw the Bible, said Letitia James, the city's public advocate. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital as a precaution, supporters said. Cassano said Perez was overwhelmed with emotion. "It was singed, but it meant an awful lot to the pastor," he said. "It showed the pastor that they'll be rebuilding."
Seems to be the takeaway from what's been found in the rubble of a church that was blown up in Harlem by a gas explosion. God unable/unwilling to stop blast that killed 8, but was able to save Bible belonging to a church at the center of the blast.]
An uplifting moment from the painstaking recovery effort came Saturday as crews pulled a large water-damaged Bible from the rubble of the Spanish Christian Church, which had been located in one of the two buildings. About two dozen people carried the Bible in a solemn procession near the East Harlem site. "This was in the depths of the rubble. Somehow God protected it," said Rick del Rio, a bishop at the Church of God. The Rev. Thomas Perez, pastor of the Spanish Christian Church, had heart palpitations when he saw the Bible, said Letitia James, the city's public advocate. He was taken by ambulance to a hospital as a precaution, supporters said. Cassano said Perez was overwhelmed with emotion. "It was singed, but it meant an awful lot to the pastor," he said. "It showed the pastor that they'll be rebuilding."
Yes, god works in mysterious ways. Lois

Yep, the big G figured the the lives of 60 people weren’t quite as important as a singed copy of his biography.
Cap’t Jack

Yep, the big G figured the the lives of 60 people weren't quite as important as a singed copy of his biography. Cap't Jack
Well, there's only a few billion of them in existence and each one is unique so... oh, wait. :-S

Seriously though, this type of thing is exactly what convinced me that trying to have a discussion with a Christian was impossible. People die needlessly, but the book survives, and THAT’S considered a sign from God? Yes it is, and She’s saying “look you morons, stop all this stupid praying and going to church and reading these dumb old books. I gave you evolution that gave you brains and reason, now use them!”

True. Hmmm, I wonder how many copies of the “Descent of Man” survived? Would that be a sign from Darwin? Or would those who believe that god saved the bible be given a “Darwin Award”?
Cap’t Jack

Post Katrina I made a few Christians pause when I asked them why God allowed the churches in the Lower Ninth Ward to get inundated with flood waters but he spared the French Quarter. My takeaway: God likes to party.
No one ever had a comeback for that one.

Post Katrina I made a few Christians pause when I asked them why God allowed the churches in the Lower Ninth Ward to get inundated with flood waters but he spared the French Quarter. My takeaway: God likes to party. No one ever had a comeback for that one.
In The Johnstown Flood by David McCullough talks about how people would try to claim that the flood was God's punishment on the people of Johnstown for their wicked ways, to which the residents would point to the unscathed brothels all along the hillsides which were doing gang buster business post flood and say, "Well, if God was trying to punish the wicked, he sure had poor aim." :D