Free will is a persistent illusion

Isn’t that one of the keys to understanding humanity?
Our babies are born premature (and destined to die without parental nurturing) and spend the next 100/200 (?) days coming to full term outside of the mother’s womb in accordance with the physical requirements it meets.

Making us an incredibly versatile creature, capable of dealing with environmental changes in a way this isn’t available to any other mammal or any other creature for that matter.

[quote=“citizenschallengev3, post:32, topic:7719, full:true”]
Did you say,

The Fibonacci sequence is a result of mathematical evolution of cause/effect, action/reaction, balance, symmetry, fractality, etc.etc.
?

What we have dubbed and symbolized as the Fibanacci Sequence is a natural logical algebraic function. The golden ratio.

It is especially prominently displayed in vertical growing plants, because it has a perfectly balanced distribution of branch weight, a maximum ability to store seeds and a maximum light gathering surface area in leaf distribution.

It is form of exponential function, creating balanced , symmetrical models in the formation of naturally selected forms. One of the major tests in the natural selection of efficient patterns.

It demonstrably exists and has existed since the beginning of time, even without human symbolic representation. It is a naturally occurring mathematical function.

The way Mark Solms explains it, it’s better understood as a Free Won’t, because what’s happened is our mind has learned to guess at future outcomes, enable us to stop our instinctive gut reflex long enough to calculate different option and strategies that may arrive at more satisfactory outcomes, than past gut reactions produced.

(Of course, that’s a bit of an over-simplification, but it gets us in the ball park. )

Right, and that’s a cause (sun, gravity, and resource availability) effect (golden ratio, which I hear isn’t exact at all - but falls into the close enough category.) relationship.

Correction , the following quote was not mine .

This actually was posted by kasmute in post #1

I agree.
Apparently brain size is a product of neural growth which is determined by exposure to information especially in the early stages of life. Deprivation of information stunts growth of memory cells and associated radiating neurons

I would be inclined to say natural mathematical functions are not causal to an event but causal to how events “unfold”.

Schematic depiction of a function described metaphorically as a “machine” or “black box” that for each input yields a corresponding output

Okay that’s math.

This is life on Earth. Welcome to evogeneao.com!

Our mission is to promote the teaching of evolution by emphasizing its greatest lesson: LIFE ON EARTH IS ONE BIG EXTENDED FAMILY! Every human being is related genealogically not just to all other humans, but to all other living things. And not only organisms living today, but to everything that has ever lived. This view of life can be thought of as ‘Evolutionary Genealogy’.

Jill Banfield/UC Berkeley, Laura Hug/University of Waterloo (CC BY 4.0)

A newly drawn Tree of Life reminds us to question what we know

Apr 21, 2016 / Karen Frances Eng

A newly released diagram of all life on Earth, the Tree of Life, contains a whole new branch, full of microbes — which appear to dominate Earth’s biodiversity. How did we miss this? …

Why does the newly published Tree of Life represent a breakthrough, and what does it tell us?
It’s dramatically reshaping our idea of what the Tree of Life looks like.

Since the early 1990s, we’ve thought of the Tree of Life as made up of three major trunks, the three domains of life: Eukarya, animals, plants, fungi and protozoans, the trunk we know the most about; Archaea, comprising single-celled microorganisms; and Bacteria. The newly published Tree more than doubles the size of the Bacteria trunk – and suggests that this domain is subdivided into two.

Here’s the mind-blowing part: we’ve been blind to one of these subdomains, which has been coined the “candidate phyla radiation” – yet, it turns out, it contains most of life’s biodiversity. It’s a bit like discovering that we’d missed half of the stars in the Milky Way!

How did scientists not spot this new subdomain before – and how did they manage to discover what was missing?

That stuff is not a persistent illusion simply because most human’s ignore it.

If all other potential abiogenetic hypotheses fail, that would be the indisputable remaining axiomatic fact. I absolutely agree.

Personally I hold open the possibility that life may have formed in several different places. As Hazen explained, abiogenesis may have occurred in several similar ways, but via slightly different chronologies. There is still the possibility of Panspermia.

IOW, Abiogenesis is possible via several different routes and that solves this problem of proposed odds against the evolution of life and the posit of an intelligent creator agent.

Perhaps life is not as rare as we believe it to be. If we take the enormous variety of life on earth that exists today and that 90% that has passed into extinction, it would suggest that life is not rare at all, but perhaps even “necessary”, given the known dynamics of chemistry self-organizing into bio-chemistry, and in turn bio-chemistry self-organizing into living forms. Life at several different stages of evolution may be abundant in the universe.

So, if someone were to come up with several different chronologies, I would not be surprised.

I’ve been wanting to ask about this again:

write4u

1d

[quote=“write4u, post:42, topic:7719”]

I would be inclined to say natural mathematical functions are not causal to an event but causal to how events “unfold”.

Schematic depiction of a function described metaphorically as a “machine” or “black box” that for each input yields a corresponding output

What can a person do with that? How does it help us understand our actual human condition? …both within our selves, and within our relationship with the reality around us?

I’m not even saying it’s irrelevant, it’s worth thinking about, but keep it in perspective, show a little humility towards what your mind has a right to know, is what I’m saying.

All that physics and quantum world and the philosophizing the metaphysical into it, that used be interesting to me, but then I hit a dead end. I turned around and found physical reality waiting.

I’m not saying it’s empty, only that I think it’s secondary, a contingent. Turns out all the totally mind-blowing fascinating stuff is happening within Earth’s Evolution and within its biological creatures, that the dance between biology and geology produced, etc, etc, .

After all I am a Being inhabiting a body, that’s trying to make it’s way through this physical life, to survive, to successfully deal with the physical reality around me, during my allotted dance on life stage, as the river of time sweeps me along.

Guess it depends on how broad you want to get with the concept. Seeding building blocks, amino acids. But a germ that would become life? I’ve never hear of any serious support for that sort of notion.
Have anything?

As for very simple life, sure I’d agree that’s probably ‘relatively’ common. I wouldn’t be overly surprised if we found it in our solar system.

I am viewing all this removed from the human condition, And I’ll explain why.

IMO, an earthlike planet in a solar system 3000 light-years from here would have the same opportunity for abiogenesis as earth. The mathematics don’t change .

H2O on earth is exactly the same as H2O in another galaxy. Objectively speaking, the same natural constants we have identified on earth are exactly the same throughout the Universe. The same table of elements is valid at the other end of the universe.

The probabilistic dynamics apply there as they do here. Humans have nothing to do with any of this.

Life on Earth is proof that life can and has evolved via Abiogenesis, on Earth as well as in … :innocent:!

Consider that we have landed equipment on planets in our own solar system many times and how many pieces of equipment have left out solar system on lonely journeys into deep space, only to crash into an earthlike planet orbiting a sun like ours.
A few bacteria may have been shielded and lain dormant. We may have seeded a planet in space.

The earth has been bombarded for billions of years with debris from deep-space collisions., Comets, asteroids from all corners of the universe have landed on earth. Bacteria may have been deep inside some of these space rocks. They do here on earth and don’t require oxygen or sunlight at all and can remain dormant for thousands, if not millions of years. It’s is chemistry, not requiring any energy other than chemical exchanges.

Perhaps an impact like a planetary collision and it enormous energetic consequences is causal to some very special chemical reactions and self duplicating polymer formations.

I understand your perspective of the human relationship to the earth, our exclusive environment and I completely agree wit your desire to keep that perspective in all considerations.

I just imagine that a similar solar system with similar planets as earth clear across the universe, would also have produced life at some evolutionary stage.

Robert Hazen is confident that life exists elsewhere, by reason that it is “necessary” if there is a hospitable (dynamic) environment and “sufficient” raw chemicals to follow the laws of chemistry and “chiralty”.

The sheer enormity of chemical reactions on suitable planets almost guarantees that life has evolved elsewhere. Hazen estimates a near certainty of life having evolved or will evolve elsewere in the universe. He believes it is “inevitable”, given what we know about how life evolved on earth. We just don’t know exactly when and where on earth.

I guess what I am trying to say is that free will (choice) is an emergent ability in living organisms and may exist elsewhere.

But the natural dynamical mechanics of the universe are always deterministic, even if there are local variables.