For Women: Genesis

Worth reading

I read it…it made me want to scream…

I read it...it made me want to scream...
Me, too.

I read it. I enjoyed the writer’s humorous style. Although it is annoying that so many Christians can be so simply misguided and goofy.

What baffles me is that someone with a PhD can’t (or won"t) acknowledge the fact that their ENTIRE argument supporting xtianity boils down to a loose collection of anachronistic philosophies and folk tales. Talk about self deception! How can they even begin to call creationism a “science” when it uses none of the tools of real science? Where’s the proof that Adam and Eve actually existed to start the whole ball rolling? These ladies have revealed the creation museum as nothing more than a house of cards with Ken Hamm’s picture on the back of each one. And they hate O’Reilly too! What a howler!
Cap’t Jack

What baffles me is that someone with a PhD can't (or won"t) acknowledge the fact that their ENTIRE argument supporting xtianity boils down to a loose collection of anachronistic philosophies and folk tales. Talk about self deception! How can they even begin to call creationism a "science" when it uses none of the tools of real science? Where's the proof that Adam and Eve actually existed to start the whole ball rolling? These ladies have revealed the creation museum as nothing more than a house of cards with Ken Hamm's picture on the back of each one. And they hate O'Reilly too! What a howler! Cap't Jack
It's what indoctrination does to human minds.
It’s what indoctrination does to human minds.
And the best time to begin is when they're young and impressionable, hence all those kids they mentioned. Create a bubble and keep them in it. Homeschooling is a good starter. Cap't Jack
What baffles me is that someone with a PhD can't (or won"t) acknowledge the fact that their ENTIRE argument supporting xtianity boils down to a loose collection of anachronistic philosophies and folk tales. Talk about self deception! Cap't Jack
I had a friend in college who ended up graduating as valedictorian, big ten school no less, then got a full ride to London School of Economics. I think even today he's well known in academic circles. Any yet, as soon as we'd start talking religion, (he was a full blown Christian) it'd be like a new personality took over. He'd literally make statements to the effect "if it says so in the bible it must be true". It was then that I realized no amount of discussion with religious folks will ever convert them. It's just not a matter of reason. It has to be something they do themselves.
What baffles me is that someone with a PhD can't (or won"t) acknowledge the fact that their ENTIRE argument supporting xtianity boils down to a loose collection of anachronistic philosophies and folk tales. Talk about self deception! Cap't Jack
I had a friend in college who ended up graduating as valedictorian, big ten school no less, then got a full ride to London School of Economics. I think even today he's well known in academic circles. Any yet, as soon as we'd start talking religion, (he was a full blown Christian) it'd be like a new personality took over. He'd literally make statements to the effect "if it says so in the bible it must be true". It was then that I realized no amount of discussion with religious folks will ever convert them. It's just not a matter of reason. It has to be something they do themselves. Your friend, though admirable in other ways, lacks intellectual integrity. (A lacking of intellectual integrity is not an uncommon human failing.)
Your friend, though admirable in other ways, lacks intellectual integrity. (A lacking of intellectual integrity is not an uncommon human failing.)
IMO, it's our ability to campartmentalize information, as in scientists who attend church on Sunday, or physicians who heal a patient and then contribute it to god. I've heard this actually stated by a surgeon. It still baffles me though. You want to shout, "are you kidding me"? Or the use of the term "god given talent". I mean if a mere teacher can figure out why not a doctor, or a scientist? why the self delusion? Cap't Jack

I agree that they must compartmentalize. But when one main compartment is completely unadaptable to another main compartment that seems to me to be an integrity issue.

I agree that they must compartmentalize. But when one main compartment is completely unadaptable to another main compartment that seems to me to be an integrity issue.
Generally, the smarter the person the easier for them to rationalize the cognitive dissonance. Which is weird and kind of disappointing actually. Take care, Derek
Generally, the smarter the person the easier for them to rationalize the cognitive dissonance. Which is weird and kind of disappointing actually.Very good point. The guy I mentioned was also a debate champion, so it was doubly weird.

One of the great mysteries of the human brain, IMO, is that you can have people who are seemingly brilliant academically in areas like medicine, science, engineering, etc…but then at the same time, believe in the most unscientific religious beliefs. Strong belief in a god like the Christian god is not a sign of a lack of intelligence. This can be found in any religion.

I had a friend in college who ended up graduating as valedictorian, big ten school no less, then got a full ride to London School of Economics. I think even today he's well known in academic circles. Any yet, as soon as we'd start talking religion, (he was a full blown Christian) it'd be like a new personality took over. He'd literally make statements to the effect "if it says so in the bible it must be true". It was then that I realized no amount of discussion with religious folks will ever convert them. It's just not a matter of reason. It has to be something they do themselves. They don't necessarily do it to themselves. It is done to them with religious indoctrination. It shuts down part of their brains. They can be smart and educated in many areas, even brilliant, but the belief part of their brains remains non-functional, as if it were permanently anesthetized.
They don’t necessarily do it to themselves. It is done to them with religious indoctrination. It shuts down part of their brains. They can be smart and educated in many areas, even brilliant, but the belief part of their brains remains non-functional, as if it were permanently anesthetized.
Then what is the explanation for those of us on this forum who were also religiously indocrtrinated practically from birth who became agnostics or atheists later in life? There are many classically educated people here who had similar backgrounds but for whatever reason declare themselves as nones. As I mentioned before, I completely dropped religion after a careful study of the historical background of my family's belief. Only recently, within the past three years did I run on to the writings of the new atheists and that further sustained my previously held nonbelief. So what part of my brain decided to function? You ever ask yourself that Lois? Or do you know the answer? Why me? And if you have siblings why not them too? Raised in the same household with exactly the same living conditions, same parents, close in age with similar life experiences but one clings to religion still and the other completely rejects it. As I said, it baffles me. Cap't Jack
They don’t necessarily do it to themselves. It is done to them with religious indoctrination. It shuts down part of their brains. They can be smart and educated in many areas, even brilliant, but the belief part of their brains remains non-functional, as if it were permanently anesthetized.
Then what is the explanation for those of us on this forum who were also religiously indocrtrinated practically from birth who became agnostics or atheists later in life? There are many classically educated people here who had similar backgrounds but for whatever reason declare themselves as nones. As I mentioned before, I completely dropped religion after a careful study of the historical background of my family's belief. Only recently, within the past three years did I run on to the writings of the new atheists and that further sustained my previously held nonbelief. So what part of my brain decided to function? You ever ask yourself that Lois? Or do you know the answer? Why me? And if you have siblings why not them too? Raised in the same household with exactly the same living conditions, same parents, close in age with similar life experiences but one clings to religion still and the other completely rejects it. As I said, it baffles me. Cap't Jack
Well, it baffles me too. I had a similar experience in being religiously indoctrinated and dropping it or, rather, working my way around and beyond it, as an adult. I suppose that religious indictrinatiion doesn't always "take." Something is different in the brains of those who manage to escape it. I don't claim to know what it is. Perhaps strong curiosity about how the world and humanity actually works and a need to see beyond the conventionl wisdom. Perhaps a desire and the courage to be different, to think differently. It is probably the result of many factors, intrinsic and extrinsic. But many people never reach the point of stepping outside their indoctrination. They handle it it different ways, some become strongly religious, a few rabidly so, some become wishy-washy, seemingly afraid to let go completely, some give it up but feel compelled to pretend they have not. If I knew the answer to how or why it happens the way it does, I might be rich and famous. Lois

Ok, I’m going to dig out Pinker’s book on how the brain works and this time I’m taking notes! I’m plagued by this conumdrum and I want an answer. It’s become the white whale and I need to put it to rest permanently so I can move on to other topics.
Cap’t Jack

Ok, I'm going to dig out Pinker's book on how the brain works and this time I'm taking notes! I'm plagued by this conumdrum and I want an answer. It's become the white whale and I need to put it to rest permanently so I can move on to other topics. Cap't Jack
Please get back to us with a concise summary of your conclusons. (Unless, of course the nemesis white whale takes you down with itself.)