Ethnomathematics

Seattle public schools have proposed a new math curriculum that will make social justice political thought just as important to the lessons as long division (or probably more so).

Apparently, it will include things about how math is used to support white supremacy, and some very questionable historical claims about math itself which will no doubt distract from teaching actual math.

Tracy Castro-Gill is Seattle public school’s head of ethnic studies and seems to be the main force behind this. Now, I don’t know about you but when I hear a school district has a head of ethnic studies, I can’t help but think there are serious problems in that district, and maybe the individual in that position doesn’t really have any ideas about what to do so they use it to drive a personal crusade. It should be noted that Seattle is one the Whitest cities in the country as well as one of the most liberal, so this could easily become the way Seattle does it. And of course the ones who will suffer the most will be the non-white kids in Seattle.

Main link: https://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2019/10/11/seattle-schools-lead-controversial-push-to-rehumanize.html

It seems pretty heavy on the motivation to study math as a cultural defense if you are a minority. But if it gets some to learn math that’s good. I couldn’t tell whether, in all that curricula, there was much actual math being taught. And I don’t see how it could be worthwhile to require it of any students who weren’t interested in it (like most white kids, probably).