Discussion: Philosophy an Art form rather than science

You bet.
I can do it. If sometimes better than others. It is tough dealing with folks in deepest delusion mode, I mean don’t freak on me if I happen to have a mask on. (story behind that, …)

You know this place is one thing, a board meeting is another thing, I do know and respect the difference. Oh hell speaking of which, where did the morning go, gotta run.
Later.

==================================================

A fresh start for a new outlook.

Over this past semester I’ve been attending the biweekly philosophy club at the local college and I’m starting to see how much philosophy seems like algebra - statements, conjectures have to fit a certain format and if you answer within those restraints it seems like almost anything goes.

At least that’s how it’s coming across to me.
At some point I’m going to have to ask about that.

Not that I’ve scrapped the art aspect, only that I imagine art is at the roots of the idea taking form, the idea that must then be formalized and formulated to fit into the constraints of some specific Logic routine.

1 Like

If we consider Determinism as true, then the only format that satisfies the requirement must have a generic mathematical aspect. Determinism requires guiding equations!

In the natural world physical interaction must follow certain orderly patterns, but also allow for variable dynamic conditions.

:thinking:
I thought I was talking about philosophy, a product of our human mind, not a deterministic product of the natural world.

Question presents if products of the human mind are deterministically arrived at, being that the natural world works determinisrically.

Looks like another quagmire, think it best I pass on this one. :wink:

But just because I’m going to keep my mouth shut, doesn’t mean I can’t share Mark Solm’s learned thoughts on the subject of the deterministic boogyman human “Free Will.”

The fact that this entire process is initiated and guided by instinctual compulsions does not do away with the existence of free will, in principle - but it greatly constrains it in reality. You may always choose to enter a lion’s den, but the fear it arouses makes it far less likely that you will actually do so.
This is why some neurobiologists prefer to speak of ‘free won’t’ rather than ‘free will’. Free will is the freedom not to act on an instinctual compulsion. (source)

The use of “intelligent” is typically associated with biological systems, whereas “mathematical” is applicable at a universal level, i.e . the universe functions as a quasi-intelligent geometric object.

I think that philosophy is more a supportive tool for science. It works with history, at least.