Developing a moral code

Something that has been gnawing at me is how subjective morality and human rights are. As a child I found such things to be self evident because I came from a religious background and as such didn't have to question the whole "be good and get to heaven". Thought now that am older and that doesn't hold much sway anymore it makes me wonder why everyone follows the code we put forth. Why is it the right thing? According to whom? Why should we pay their ideas any mind? Why not do as we wish and damn who says otherwise? I get it that it's to avoid the punishment from society but why does society have to follow their own code? Couldn't they make up one that enourcages discrimination and get away with it? What makes it wrong? Why care about others and the future of humanity? Who deemed that important? Does morality essentially boil down to someone's "say so"? Because it seems to me without a threat of cosmic punishment, our morality doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.
Dignity should be at the forefront of any moral code. I wrote a thread in the religion section that you should find interesting. It is called, "Does anybody around here have any dignity?" I invite you to read it. And leave a reply.

If you get rid of that ridiculous little moustache and the highrise baseball cap, you’d look a lot more dignified… :cheese: .
For your information “dignity means shit”. It’s all appearance, but tells you nothing of the psychopath inside.
Trying to commit genocide is the true revelation of a person’s twisted frame of mind. Do you believe there is some dignity attached to such heinous acts?
p.s. I grew up in Holland under German occupation and I know about war, you spoiled brat, you know NOTHINGGGGGG!!!