Crazy coincidence

Yesterday I received the current issues of Archaeology. I had just finished an article entitled “Erbil Revealed” putting forth the claim that Erbil (ancient Arbela) may be the “oldest continuously inhabited place in the world.” The evening news was coming on just as I finished the article; the lead story was Pres. Obama explaining why he had ordered the U.S. air force to defend the city from ISIS. Maybe no god works in mysterious ways but I am wondering about the Archaeological Institute of America. :lol: :wow: :bug: :lol:

Yesterday I received the current issues of Archaeology. I had just finished an article entitled "Erbil Revealed" putting forth the claim that Erbil (ancient Arbela) may be the "oldest continuously inhabited place in the world." The evening news was coming on just as I finished the article; the lead story was Pres. Obama explaining why he had ordered the U.S. air force to defend the city from ISIS. Maybe no god works in mysterious ways but I am wondering about the Archaeological Institute of America. :lol: :wow: :bug: :lol:
"Erbil" looks and sounds as if it came out of a cheap science fiction novel. Lois

Ha-ha, very unlikely. A crazy coincidence is all it is.

I can dig it :wink:

Even if it’s not a coincidence I hope that it’s successfully defended from the Sunni thugs who would destroy any artifacts in the area. Arbela is not just an ancient settlement but has a place in the history of the region, e.g. “The Battle of Arbela” in 331 BCE where Alexander forced Darius to flee for safety after smashing the Persian Army. These split off fanatics have a penchant for destroying their own history if it doesn’t somehow confirm to their twisted interpretation of their “holy book”.
Cap’t Jack

Even if it's not a coincidence I hope that it's successfully defended from the Sunni thugs who would destroy any artifacts in the area. Arbela is not just an ancient settlement but has a place in the history of the region, e.g. "The Battle of Arbela" in 331 BCE where Alexander forced Darius to flee for safety after smashing the Persian Army. These split off fanatics have a penchant for destroying their own history if it doesn't somehow confirm to their twisted interpretation of their "holy book". Cap't Jack
Didn't remember the battle took place there.
Didn’t remember the battle took place there.
It didn't. It was fought near there and Darius retreated to Arbela afterwards. That's why it's sometimes listed as the Battle of Gaugemela. Can't Jack