COSMOS

Believe me when I say that Tyson dosen’t hold a candle to those crazy preachers when it comes to loud, obnoxious and sometimes virtually incoherent preaching! Are you familiar with oral formulaic speech? What we call"old time" preachers can scream bible phrases and gasp for air for hours. I doubt Tyson could shout "thank You Einstein (substituting for Jesus) for that long! But he can be even tempered at debates I’ve watched. I even saw him on Bill maher on evening and he was perfectly normal, no screaming nor incoherence at all!
Cap’t Jack

Tyson is wonderful. I’ve heard him several times inveighing strongly against the naive notion that the Moon missions were done for sheer scientific exploration. They were essentially military and political showmanship, much as they may have inspired many people to take up science. This is a point he’s quite emphatic about, and he’s exactly right.
The notion that either Sagan or Dawkins (or even Tyson) is the greatest poet of any century is – to put it mildly – absurd hyperbole.

We are back to the topic of taste, and as such I doubt we’ll all come to an agreement.
I find science beautiful. For me its beauty lies in its simplicity and the ability of allowing me to understand our world. I don’t want to hear special noisy effects in documentaries and I certainly don’t understand how a striptease (watch Tyson doing a striptease HERE] at 47:55) adds anything to the enjoyment of learning. But to each his own, I guess.

There’s a certain pattern I see reflected in this so-called “taste”.

I like Morgan Freeman narrating documentaries.

Was Sagan held in such high regard as a science communicator when he was alive? Or did that start after he died?

I don’t know if I’ve just gotten more accepting with age, but I couldn’t stand Carl Sagan’s voice or what I saw as his egotistical belief in his superiority. Tyson seems much more down-to-earth while demonstrating that he’s just as much of a scientist as Sagan was.
Occam

Was Sagan held in such high regard as a science communicator when he was alive? Or did that start after he died?
I have seen interviews of people who knew him who said that some other scientists were jealous of his prominence while he was alive. But he does seem to have been raised to sainthood since his death. I don't mind. psik
I don’t know if I’ve just gotten more accepting with age, but I couldn’t stand Carl Sagan’s voice or what I saw as his egotistical belief in his superiority. Tyson seems much more down-to-earth while demonstrating that he’s just as much of a scientist as Sagan was. Occam
Wow Occam, are we talking about the same person? I didn't feel that he came across as egotistical at all. He reminded me of a teacher who was excited to tell any student who'd listen about something he'd learned. Sagan wanted to create a passion for his subject in the minds of his listeners. I found him inspirational and read every book I could get hold of at the time. If nothing else it kept the publc's attention focused on space at a time when the Apollo program was on the wane. IMO people were as fascinated by him and Cosmos as they are now, maybe even more so as he began showing up on panels discussing environmental concerns and the possibility of nuclear war. Cap't Jack
I confess to beginning to get bored with exo-planets. OK, there is a really cool planet 800 lightyears away. So let's make the connections in physics to figure out how to get to 20% of light speed and not finding more planets that we can't get to.
You've got to start somewhere. Hey, we might never "get there." But who knows what we'll discover on the way?

It’s fascinating, TVA, how people we think would have similar views differ so widely. For example, I had no interest in a show called “The Big Bang Theory” until my wife who was already mostly paralyzed told me to watch it. I was shocked at how much I loved and still love that show. So I recommended it to my daughter and some friends. She and most of them disliked it. Strangely, the only people I know who enjoy it as much as I do is an Orange county Libertarian couple. (That worries me). Sorry about my Sagan opinion. :slight_smile:
Occam

It’s fascinating, TVA, how people we think would have similar views differ so widely. For example, I had no interest in a show called “The Big Bang Theory" until my wife who was already mostly paralyzed told me to watch it. I was shocked at how much I loved and still love that show. So I recommended it to my daughter and some friends. She and most of them disliked it. Strangely, the only people I know who enjoy it as much as I do is an Orange county Libertarian couple. (That worries me). Sorry about my Sagan opinion.
We love that show! Sneaking science into a sit com was brilliant. Google the lyrics from the theme when you get the chance. Except for the "Neanderthal discovered food" part, it's pretty accurate. This is definitely not a show for fundie creationists (portrayed by Sheldon's Mom). It has everything from bouncing lasers off the Moon to sexual relationships. Tyson even did a cameo as well as others in the scientific field. And as to Sagan, everyone has many sides to his/her personality. Reading the posts here is a clear example of that! Cap't Jack
but I couldn't stand Carl Sagan's voice or what I saw as his egotistical belief in his superiority.
I'm not alone in disliking his voice.
but I couldn't stand Carl Sagan's voice or what I saw as his egotistical belief in his superiority.
I'm not alone in disliking his voice. Yeah, William F. Buckley was so much better. :lol: They were both from New York. psik

Yeah, but I could laugh at Buckley. :slight_smile:
Occam

I found Sagan incredibly inspiring, though I admit today Cosmos strikes me as a bit melodramatic and very dated. I also have seen Tyson speak, and I found him quite articulate, charming, and likeable. FWIW.

Yeah, but I could laugh at Buckley. Occam
Yes, that feigned look of disdain and the way he lashed out with his tongue, I mean literally, he used his tongue as a prop and would bulge out his eyes when staring down his opponent, usually Gore Vidal. a lot of name calling there! Cap't Jack
I'm not alone in disliking his voice. Yeah, William F. Buckley was so much better. :lol: They were both from New York. psik :question: What does Buckley have to do with Sagan?

I guess they’re referring to New York accents?.. Anyway, I would take billions and billions of Carl Sagan voices over one Wm F Buckley voice, with his snooty “ah…” interjections.

I'm not alone in disliking his voice. Yeah, William F. Buckley was so much better. :lol: They were both from New York. psik :question: What does Buckley have to do with Sagan? Listening to Sagan never bothered me but Occam mentioning not being able to stand someone's voice immediately brought William F. Buckley to mind. Then comparing them in my memory there was somewhat of a similarity. I thought it must be a Boston accent so I Googled them and they were both from New York. I suspect there were a number of things in combination that annoyed me about Buckley. I guess I would have to call it a "studied condescension". It is like he put so much work into being annoying it was hard to concentrate on what he was actually saying and then that was always expressed in a manner more complicated than necessary. That never came across with Sagan to me. He was merely distinctive. psik