Comet ISON - The comet of the century?

Don’t despair GdB. Ison may be a visual dud, but it is a scientific bonanza. Not only did we get to see a Sun grazer on its first (and only) pass into the inner solar system, we had several Sun-observing satellites in position to record what happened to Ison as it rounded the Sun. Astronomers will be gleaning new information out of this data for years.

Thanks for the comfort, Darron. However for me it is little like the difference between having sex or having knowledge about sex… Seeing a comet is just great.

PS
Just had a glance in my box of pictures, and found this one… It is Hyakutake], in 1996.
Hope this helps. :down:

PS Just had a glance in my box of pictures, and found this one... It is Hyakutake], in 1996. Hope this helps. :down:
I remember viewing that comet. We were getting ready to drive out to the country to low light conditions. I stepped out on the balcony and I could see it right from there. No need to drive anywhere.

RIP Comet ISON: Scientists Declare Famous ‘Sungrazer’ Dead After Sun Encounter]
Guess its time for the official memorial service. This is the way ISON ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

The closest approach of the comet to earth was to be on December 26. Now it seems we will be experiencing a shotgun blast rather than a rifle shot! Yikes! The refuse from the comet cannot be tracked because it is approaching from the direction of the sun… Fire and brimstone?

The closest approach of the comet to earth was to be on December 26. Now it seems we will be experiencing a shotgun blast rather than a rifle shot! Yikes! The refuse from the comet cannot be tracked because it is approaching from the direction of the sun... Fire and brimstone?
Nope. Just a few more meteors in the sky when Earth passes through the debris]. Nothing unusual about that.
The closest approach of the comet to earth was to be on December 26. Now it seems we will be experiencing a shotgun blast rather than a rifle shot! Yikes! The refuse from the comet cannot be tracked because it is approaching from the direction of the sun... Fire and brimstone?
Nope. Just a few more meteors in the sky when Earth passes through the debris]. Nothing unusual about that. The link you provided was interesting... however it is outdated, we were expecting a meteor shower from an intact comet as we passed through its tail, now that it has disintegrated, what will we be passing through?
The link you provided was interesting... however it is outdated, we were expecting a meteor shower from an intact comet as we passed through its tail, now that it has disintegrated, what will we be passing through?
Debris from a disintegrated comet. Happens almost every night. Nothing to worry about.

I think I will spend that day fishing… under a good sturdy bridge!

I think I will spend that day fishing... under a good sturdy bridge!
Don't forget your tinfoil hat. :)