Businesses owned by religious people

Since it’s Sunday, I thought I’d pass this along.
Here’s a list of 20 companies with religious roots. The only hotel chain I know about is Marriott, though.
http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1700/0/20-companies-with-religious-roots.html?ref=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=businesses owned by religious organizations&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http://www.deseretnews.com/top/1700/0/20-companies-with-religious-roots.html&ei=ipjVU52rFMe7jAKn-IGYBA&usg=AFQjCNETRwi6cIyY2OtkAiOrKeghQukyXw&sig2=fbt4LueHOT_gjVZwMFeVRg&bvm=bv.71778758,d.cGE
You will probably have to copy and paste the link. It doesn’t seem to have come through in clickable form. If it doesn’t work do a search for “companies with religious roots.”
Also, Marriott places the book of Mormon in each hotel room as well as the Gideon Bible. I guess they want to cover as many bases as they can, though they obviously don’t cover them all.
According to this list Whole Foods is owned by Buddhists, though I find that more benign. I never knew about the Buddhist connection.
LL
I got interested in this when I received this on another group.
It all started back in 1898 when John H. Nicholson stayed at Central Hotel in Boscobel, Wisconsin. Due to the crowded hotel, he shared a room with Samuel E. Hill. Both were Christians and prayed together until they started to discuss the creation of an association of traveling Christian businessmen. The association amassed members who were wandering Christian businessmen. It was the start of the Bible Project which has the goal of putting a Bible in every hotel room since it is simply a gracious act.
http://herbeat.com/why-bibles-are-present-in-hotel-rooms/
This seems better written:
Why Are There Gideon Bibles in Hotel Rooms? | Mental Floss

Since I sometimes had to stay at Marriotts, I always cracked up that Mormons are extremely against alcohol, but they serve it in their connected restaurant, and also have it in the room bars.
I can’t find it now, but I got irritated when I found a bible opened on the pillow in a southern motel so wrote a short half page non-theist tract and printed up a number of copies. Then each time I stayed at a motel, I stuck a copy in middle of the bible in the room.
Occam

Since I sometimes had to stay at Marriotts, I always cracked up that Mormons are extremely against alcohol, but they serve it in their connected restaurant, and also have it in the room bars. I can't find it now, but I got irritated when I found a bible opened on the pillow in a southern motel so wrote a short half page non-theist tract and printed up a number of copies. Then each time I stayed at a motel, I stuck a copy in middle of the bible in the room. Occam
I've done that, too. And I've put humanist literature in bibles, too. Several freethought grouos sell stickers that can be put in hotel bibles.
Since I sometimes had to stay at Marriotts, I always cracked up that Mormons are extremely against alcohol, but they serve it in their connected restaurant, and also have it in the room bars. I can't find it now, but I got irritated when I found a bible opened on the pillow in a southern motel so wrote a short half page non-theist tract and printed up a number of copies. Then each time I stayed at a motel, I stuck a copy in middle of the bible in the room. Occam
I stayed at a pretty nice hotel (not a chain) in Kentucky and when I first entered my room, the Bible was out on the table and opened up to what I assume was the cleaning staffs favorite verse. I simply shut it, put it in the drawer and forgot about it. Next day, I go out and come back to my room after they've cleaned it and the staff actually was insistent enough to actually take the Bible and reopen it to that page again!

That’s when one packs a small bottle of white glue to take along, then smears a drop around on that open page and close the book. However, it should be done just before you’re checking out since, when we’ve not there, our belongings and the room are that the mercy of the cleaning staff. :slight_smile:
Or one could open it for the staff to see, and underline some of the nasty or cruel parts.
That’s an interesting idea. If one is stuck alone in the room in the evening, rather than watching TV, one could bring along a red pen and a long list of the most insane, cruel or vulgar passages and spend the time underlining all of them. It might make interesting reading for the subsequent guests. :lol:
Occam

That's when one packs a small bottle of white glue to take along, then smears a drop around on that open page and close the book. However, it should be done just before you're checking out since, when we've not there, our belongings and the room are that the mercy of the cleaning staff. :) Or one could open it for the staff to see, and underline some of the nasty or cruel parts. That's an interesting idea. If one is stuck alone in the room in the evening, rather than watching TV, one could bring along a red pen and a long list of the most insane, cruel or vulgar passages and spend the time underlining all of them. It might make interesting reading for the subsequent guests. :lol: Occam
The hotel would most likely replace it with a "clean" copy, if they notice. Unlimited copies are free to the hotel. Lois

You’re correct, Lois, but a) It would be fun to do, b) Until they do notice, I like imagining that someone opens the book. sees those comments and has his/her belief system shifted a bit toward reality. :slight_smile:
Occam