Any dog people out there?

Don’t get me wrong I’m not having “issues” with the dog.
We get along well, she loves going on walks with me, and believe me I’m attuned,
much of the time when I have her on the line, she’s leading and I’ll following along.
Oh that’s the cool part, she loves running, but when I do put on the leash she’s fine, no drama,
other than occasionally attacking the leash as she follows along.
Off the leash it’s cool because she roam but I keep noticing her checking back to she if I’m in eye shot -
particular fun when I’ve moved and I catch her in a moment of nervous confusion until she spots me again.
Although when she’s on a chase all bets are off.
Also even when I’m leading her on a leash if she suddenly stops,
I will too and give her time to figure it out.
Paula’s taught me to communicate our intentions and that jazz.
If I’m in a hurry I make that clear and she falls into line pretty good.
The thing is finding that balance between freedom to roam and need to stay within limits.
>>> or the big issue right now, her feeling such freedom in running off even when told to stop.
and never facing consequence when she decides to come back, which she always does, but in her own good time.
Every week has been different, slightly evolved, so eventually we’ll figure it out - but it does have me worried.

Still, it’s been a cool ride with many facets of fascination and I’ve wanted to write about it many times,
even composed many a beautiful verse during various epic walks,
but then I get home and there’s other stuff to write about or work to do
but so it goes.

IMO, thisis excellent advice and the greatest challenge for human "pack-leaders". Training should always start with simple but important fundamental behavior patterns which are common to both species. Patient repetition without signs of frustration is important as dogs are keenly aware of body language and voice patterns and inflections. t also helps to start with "fun" things such as fetching and bringing things back to continue the game. Most humans have lost the recognition of subtle body language, so one of the most important things to learn is to recognize the dog's body language and show the dog that you understand his emotional needs. This reinforces the bond and teaches the dog to express its needs to you. Always use the exact same command for a specific task. The dog will learn the meaning of those commands very quickly as it learns that an immediate response, will always bring a reward. As with all organisms, dogs will always make decisions "in te direction of greatest satisfaction". This link may be helpful; http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dogs-communicate-humans-2413.html
Thanks that was a good website, I was even able to read up on why dogs lick your hands and other parts so I won't have to bug McKenzie… unless he had something to add. ;-) As for the training, holy molly that's a tough one, I understand the need for consistency and we have that going on, consistent behavior on our part, awareness of her moods, body language etc. It get's a bit more complicated, but you need to understand the context. See Maddy is in a rare situation. Bare with me while I explain. We live on 40 acres and the way they sectioned the land in these parts is in long narrow rectangles that cross the river (actually seasonal creek these days) - riparian up to sagebrush wide open foothills, so everyone got a slice of the pie. Neighbors on both sides are friends and crossing the property line is fine, although on the other side of their properties things get progressively less welcoming. On this land there's the owner's house and our cabin, a few old out buildings, (and one damned nice 4 year old (now empty) horse stable.) and lots of land. Neighbors are likewise limited a family and outbuildings. Meaning this dog has room to roam. We have wildlife, nothing like in-da-day but still turkey, deer, lots of rabbits, coyotes, an occasional bobcat, even a few mountain lions walking that riparian corridor between mountain and desert, won't even get into the bird types that move through here. Oh did I mention gophers, moles. Maddy loves digging for them almost as much as chasing rabbits. During the first weeks I was worried about bonding and her feeling at home. She has settled in and we're doing good and I'm totally running out of steam. Eventually I'll get around to my point but not tonight.

One thing our cats would do that our dogs wouldn’t was to plop down on the papers on my husband’s desk when he was working too long. I secretly encouraged this.
Lois

Don't get me wrong I'm not having "issues" with the dog. We get along well, she loves going on walks with me, and believe me I'm attuned, much of the time when I have her on the line, she's leading and I'll following along. Oh that's the cool part, she loves running, but when I do put on the leash she's fine, no drama, other than occasionally attacking the leash as she follows along. Off the leash it's cool because she roam but I keep noticing her checking back to she if I'm in eye shot - particular fun when I've moved and I catch her in a moment of nervous confusion until she spots me again. Although when she's on a chase all bets are off. Also even when I'm leading her on a leash if she suddenly stops, I will too and give her time to figure it out. Paula's taught me to communicate our intentions and that jazz. If I'm in a hurry I make that clear and she falls into line pretty good. The thing is finding that balance between freedom to roam and need to stay within limits. >>> or the big issue right now, her feeling such freedom in running off even when told to stop. and never facing consequence when she decides to come back, which she always does, but in her own good time. Every week has been different, slightly evolved, so eventually we'll figure it out - but it does have me worried. Still, it's been a cool ride with many facets of fascination and I've wanted to write about it many times, even composed many a beautiful verse during various epic walks, but then I get home and there's other stuff to write about or work to do but so it goes.
IMO, thisis excellent advice and the greatest challenge for human "pack-leaders". Training should always start with simple but important fundamental behavior patterns which are common to both species. Patient repetition without signs of frustration is important as dogs are keenly aware of body language and voice patterns and inflections. t also helps to start with "fun" things such as fetching and bringing things back to continue the game. Most humans have lost the recognition of subtle body language, so one of the most important things to learn is to recognize the dog's body language and show the dog that you understand his emotional needs. This reinforces the bond and teaches the dog to express its needs to you. Always use the exact same command for a specific task. The dog will learn the meaning of those commands very quickly as it learns that an immediate response, will always bring a reward. As with all organisms, dogs will always make decisions "in te direction of greatest satisfaction". This link may be helpful; http://dogcare.dailypuppy.com/dogs-communicate-humans-2413.html
Thanks that was a good website, I was even able to read up on why dogs lick your hands and other parts so I won't have to bug McKenzie… unless he had something to add. ;-) As for the training, holy molly that's a tough one, I understand the need for consistency and we have that going on, consistent behavior on our part, awareness of her moods, body language etc. It get's a bit more complicated, but you need to understand the context. See Maddy is in a rare situation. Bare with me while I explain. We live on 40 acres and the way they sectioned the land in these parts is in long narrow rectangles that cross the river (actually seasonal creek these days) - riparian up to sagebrush wide open foothills, so everyone got a slice of the pie. Neighbors on both sides are friends and crossing the property line is fine, although on the other side of their properties things get progressively less welcoming. On this land there's the owner's house and our cabin, a few old out buildings, (and one damned nice 4 year old (now empty) horse stable.) and lots of land. Neighbors are likewise limited a family and outbuildings. Meaning this dog has room to roam. We have wildlife, nothing like in-da-day but still turkey, deer, lots of rabbits, coyotes, an occasional bobcat, even a few mountain lions walking that riparian corridor between mountain and desert, won't even get into the bird types that move through here. Oh did I mention gophers, moles. Maddy loves digging for them almost as much as chasing rabbits. During the first weeks I was worried about bonding and her feeling at home. She has settled in and we're doing good and I'm totally running out of steam. Eventually I'll get around to my point but not tonight.
You might try walking the dog along the property lines, while you "mark" them as you territory. To a dog (wolves) this is a very symbolic gesture which does not mean much in the city, but in borderless land, marking your territory (and occasionally "reinforcing youe scent" at exactly the same spots every time, the dog will quickly understand "his home turf". Especially if the dog crosses the line, to call hime back and reprimand his trespess on someone else's territory. My command to my Sheprherd was "OFF" which made him stop and wait for further instruction. When the dog reponse properly, paraise him lavishly. Rememeber that living things always decide " in the direction of greatest satisfaction" which will always be your approval and treat if available.
Also: IMHO it's a good idea to give your dog a "sanctuary": someplace they can go where they know they won't be disturbed, and someplace they can retreat to if they know they did something wrong. My parents typically use a decent-sized dog travelling crate, depending on the size of the dog. Once you establish one, it's important to not disturb them while they're in it outside of dire circumstances.
That's interesting, never thought of it from that angle. Although in a two room cabin, (well okay, also tiny bathroom and tiny kitchen <28sq.ft. floor area, that she's naturally stayed out of while we fix meals - great omen that one was.) not that much room for a sanctuary around here. Then again (interestingly) I must admit, she has carved out a little space behind the front door and also under the bed in a small area not occupied by boxes, when she wants to be alone. Also under the front porch is a good sanctuary and our pal Mishka can't fit down there. Thanks for bringing it up, worth pondering for sure. When I acquire a new dog, the first thing I do is to assign it a spot in the house. It is their time out spot and where they go when they do not want to be disturbed--their 'safety' area. My grandkids are not allowed to disturb them there, and they all have different areas, so they don't disturb each other. It doesn't take long to teach them, and it solves a lot of problems, and gives them a sense of security.
Also: IMHO it's a good idea to give your dog a "sanctuary": someplace they can go where they know they won't be disturbed, and someplace they can retreat to if they know they did something wrong. My parents typically use a decent-sized dog travelling crate, depending on the size of the dog. Once you establish one, it's important to not disturb them while they're in it outside of dire circumstances.
That's interesting, never thought of it from that angle. Although in a two room cabin, (well okay, also tiny bathroom and tiny kitchen <28sq.ft. floor area, that she's naturally stayed out of while we fix meals - great omen that one was.) not that much room for a sanctuary around here. Then again (interestingly) I must admit, she has carved out a little space behind the front door and also under the bed in a small area not occupied by boxes, when she wants to be alone. Also under the front porch is a good sanctuary and our pal Mishka can't fit down there. Thanks for bringing it up, worth pondering for sure. When I acquire a new dog, the first thing I do is to assign it a spot in the house. It is their time out spot and where they go when they do not want to be disturbed--their 'safety' area. My grandkids are not allowed to disturb them there, and they all have different areas, so they don't disturb each other. It doesn't take long to teach them, and it solves a lot of problems, and gives them a sense of security. Well she lost the spot behind the front door, (to closed door, winter boots and whatnot) she has gotten grudgingly used to the new place we put her pad. but under the bed she loves and now we've made more room for her. And then off course, there's disappearing into wild yonder. She is getting me back to taking more walks, my most inspired writing about her and our developing understanding (er… relationship) happens on those walks, but I never write it down and by the time I actually have time for that, it's faded and waiting for the next inspiring moment, while other things crowd my thoughts.

Interspecies friendships can be beautiful.

Interspecies friendships can be beautiful.
Everytime I watch this, I cry from humility, love, and respect for Nature. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zfgFfC5kOs