A Great Question

Or if you tired of looking at that old guy, there’s always Naomi

Published on Apr 24, 2011 Award-winning journalist, syndicated columnist and author, Naomi Klein, talks about her latest book, "The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg
Why does rational thinking stop at religion? Where is the thoughtful objective analysis of economic theory based on observations of the socioeconomic outcomes for the masses from people who champion critical thinking? https://things-that-matter.net/2017/07/05/why-doesnt-richard-dawkins-ever-debunk-us-militarism-trickle-down-economics-or-corporate-media-propaganda/
Theistic religion stops rational thinking because if rational thinking were permitted most religions would evaporate. Theistic religion is the antithesis of rational thinking. what about neo Liberial thinking? Please define "neo-liberal thinking". I suspect you label anything you disagree with as "neo-liberal thinking". Tell us what you think it is.
Hello Sr Member. That's a terrible answer. Rational thinking transcends all areas of life. Even socioeconomic issues. Capitalism today in the form of neoliberalism promotes and defends pseudoscience when it's comes to stuff like fracking, climate change renewable energy, health, education and war.
I didn't follow your logic from "rational thinking" to capitalism. Capitalism doesn't require rationalism. Lausten- are you having a laugh when you say that? From the empirical evidence : Is it rational to think that tax cuts to the rich helps the working class? Is it rational to think that deregulation helps create jobs? is it rational to think that privatising the essential public services benefits the public? is it rational to think that the rich are job creators? Is it rational to think capitalism = democracy? Is it rational to think climate change can be addressed with the framework of capitalism? Is it rational to think that capitalism doesnt need imperialist wars? Is it rational to think a free market exists? No, not a joke. I just don't get what the point is. The OP was asking why certain people don't critique economics like they critique religion. My answer was that it's not their area. But there are people who do critique economics. Noam Chomsky would be a good example. You can find experts that respond to every one of your questions above. So what's the connection to rationalism? Some people have rational critiques, some not so much. Just because we see irrational things happening, it doesn't mean rationalism is never applied to economics. There is as much disagreement among economics experts as in any subject of discussion. Economics is closely related to political opinion, so there are extreme views on exonomics from the left and the right. There was a joke going around a few years ago. Professors were discussing how they must constantly change the questions on exams because exam questions are passed around among students. The professor of economics said he never has that problem. "In economics we don"t have to change the questions, we change the answers."
Hello Sr Member. That's a terrible answer. Rational thinking transcends all areas of life. Even socioeconomic issues. Capitalism today in the form of neoliberalism promotes and defends pseudoscience when it's comes to stuff like fracking, climate change renewable energy, health, education and war.
I didn't follow your logic from "rational thinking" to capitalism. Capitalism doesn't require rationalism. Lausten- are you having a laugh when you say that? From the empirical evidence : Is it rational to think that tax cuts to the rich helps the working class? Is it rational to think that deregulation helps create jobs? is it rational to think that privatising the essential public services benefits the public? is it rational to think that the rich are job creators? Is it rational to think capitalism = democracy? Is it rational to think climate change can be addressed with the framework of capitalism? Is it rational to think that capitalism doesnt need imperialist wars? Is it rational to think a free market exists? No, not a joke. I just don't get what the point is. The OP was asking why certain people don't critique economics like they critique religion. My answer was that it's not their area. But there are people who do critique economics. Noam Chomsky would be a good example. You can find experts that respond to every one of your questions above. So what's the connection to rationalism? Some people have rational critiques, some not so much. Just because we see irrational things happening, it doesn't mean rationalism is never applied to economics. There is as much disagreement among economics experts as in any subject of discussion. Economics is do closely related to,political opinion, so,there are extreme views from the left and the right. There was a joke going around a few years ago. Professors were discussing how they must constantly change the questions on exams because exam questions are passed around among students. The professor of economics said he never has that problem. "In economics we don"t have to change the questions, we change the answers." These points that I have penned is what is taught in neo classical economic text books championed by ring wing economists around the globe. From our observations of past and present socioeconomic outcomes, do you agree with these fundamentals? Do they indeed reflect how the real world works?

They aren’t points. They’re questions. I don’t know what I’d be agreeing to.

Theistic religion stops rational thinking because if rational thinking were permitted most religions would evaporate. Theistic religion is the antithesis of rational thinking.
Theists claim we go to heaven after death. Atheists claim we rot in the ground, and that's it. Neither side can prove anything. Should we choose a theory which gives people hope, and encourages them to earn heaven through constructive behavior? Or should we choose a theory which promises nothing as a reward for all our efforts? We can't separate these theories on the basis of fantasy, because both are fantasy. The theist thinks they know, the atheist thinks they know, but the truth is nobody has a clue what death is. Which is the most rational theory? Everybody rots in the ground (if they're buried) whether they believe in god and an afterlife or not. It isn't the body that they believe goes to heaven (or hell), it's the soul. It's odd that few theists ever think that they, themselves, or their loved ones will go to hell, even knowing they would deserve it under the terms of their own religion. They'll trot out god's mercy, for one thing, no matter what scripture says to the contrary.
Why does rational thinking stop at religion? Where is the thoughtful objective analysis of economic theory based on observations of the socioeconomic outcomes for the masses from people who champion critical thinking? https://things-that-matter.net/2017/07/05/why-doesnt-richard-dawkins-ever-debunk-us-militarism-trickle-down-economics-or-corporate-media-propaganda/
Theistic religion stops rational thinking because if rational thinking were permitted most religions would evaporate. Theistic religion is the antithesis of rational thinking. what about neo Liberial thinking? What about it? rational? So yyou're saying that yiunthink neo-liberal thinking is rational thinking? It sounded as if you were denigrating it.
I didn't follow your logic from "rational thinking" to capitalism. Capitalism doesn't require rationalism. Lausten- are you having a laugh when you say that? From the empirical evidence : Is it rational to think that tax cuts to the rich helps the working class? Is it rational to think that deregulation helps create jobs? is it rational to think that privatising the essential public services benefits the public? is it rational to think that the rich are job creators? Is it rational to think capitalism = democracy? Is it rational to think climate change can be addressed with the framework of capitalism? Is it rational to think that capitalism doesnt need imperialist wars? Is it rational to think a free market exists? No, not a joke. I just don't get what the point is. The OP was asking why certain people don't critique economics like they critique religion. My answer was that it's not their area. But there are people who do critique economics. Noam Chomsky would be a good example. You can find experts that respond to every one of your questions above. So what's the connection to rationalism? Some people have rational critiques, some not so much. Just because we see irrational things happening, it doesn't mean rationalism is never applied to economics. It is though. Just as it's applied to other politically charged subjects, say the death penalty. Both sides are being rational in their approach, even if some disagree with one side. Both sides use rational thought to come to their conclusions, even if one side claims their opponents are being irrational. They aren't. They've just come up with a different conclusion. Lois
They aren't points. They're questions. I don't know what I'd be agreeing to.
Yes or no to the questions?
They aren't points. They're questions. I don't know what I'd be agreeing to.
Yes or no to the questions? They seemed rhetorical to me. It seemed you were expressing your opinion on things like deregulation. Obviously a lot of people disagree with you. But if it makes you happy, then "no" to all of them.
Everybody rots in the ground (if they're buried) whether they believe in god and an afterlife or not. It isn't the body that they believe goes to heaven (or hell), it's the soul. It's odd that few theists ever think that they, themselves, or their loved ones will go to hell, even knowing they would deserve it under the terms of their own religion. They'll trot out god's mercy, for one thing, no matter what scripture says to the contrary.
You've completely ignored the challenge presented, pretty normal behavior for atheist ideologues.

<![CDATA[

Everybody rots in the ground (if they’re buried) whether they believe in god and an afterlife or not. It isn’t the body that they believe goes to heaven (or hell), it’s the soul. It’s odd that few theists ever think that they, themselves, or their loved ones will go to hell, even knowing they would deserve it under the terms of their own religion. They’ll trot out god’s mercy, for one thing, no matter what scripture says to the contrary.

You’ve completely ignored the challenge presented, pretty normal behavior for atheist ideologues.]>

Everybody rots in the ground (if they're buried) whether they believe in god and an afterlife or not. It isn't the body that they believe goes to heaven (or hell), it's the soul. It's odd that few theists ever think that they, themselves, or their loved ones will go to hell, even knowing they would deserve it under the terms of their own religion. They'll trot out god's mercy, for one thing, no matter what scripture says to the contrary.
You've completely ignored the challenge presented, pretty normal behavior for atheist ideologues.[/quote Great, now we've got two new members who only allow participation in their questions if you stick to their framing. The responses have been that the call for rational thinking does NOT end with religion. The challenges Adamski has presented wouldn't even exist if there weren't rational thinkers out there writing entire books challenging the irrational ideas. We'd still be living in a feudal system, with no coherent arguments for why it wasn't good for everybody.
You've completely ignored the challenge presented, pretty normal behavior for atheist ideologues.[/quote Great, now we've got two new members who only allow participation in their questions if you stick to their framing. The responses have been that the call for rational thinking does NOT end with religion. The challenges Adamski has presented wouldn't even exist if there weren't rational thinkers out there writing entire books challenging the irrational ideas. We'd still be living in a feudal system, with no coherent arguments for why it wasn't good for everybody. Hear, hear!
You've completely ignored the challenge presented, pretty normal behavior for atheist ideologues.[/quote I didn't ignore it. Your question was why rational thinking stops at religion. I presented an example of religious irrational thinking. You simply didn"t like my answer so you decided to label it as not answering your question, which is typical of mindless idealogues.

I didn’t watch out of misquoting above, so it looks like Adamski said my words, which in the outer most quoted section of my post. Then Lois quoted it all again.
And if you don’t change your post much when editing, it looks like spam. So, let’s just delete this whole thread. :slight_smile:
And now I really have no idea who is saying what to whom about what. A little more clarifying and little less squabbling please.

I didn't watch out of misquoting above, so it looks like Adamski said my words, which in the outer most quoted section of my post. Then Lois quoted it all again. And if you don't change your post much when editing, it looks like spam. So, let's just delete this whole thread. :) And now I really have no idea who is saying what to whom about what. A little more clarifying and little less squabbling please.
Tanny thinks that it is rational to believe the supernatural exists!!! A real thinker!

Lois, you claimed…

Theistic religion is the antithesis of rational thinking.
I replied with the following analysis of the rational basis for both theism and atheism.
Theists claim we go to heaven after death. Atheists claim we rot in the ground, and that’s it. Neither side can prove anything. Should we choose a theory which gives people hope, and encourages them to earn heaven through constructive behavior? Or should we choose a theory which promises nothing as a reward for all our efforts? We can’t separate these theories on the basis of fantasy, because both are fantasy. The theist thinks they know, the atheist thinks they know, but the truth is nobody has a clue what death is.
Which is the most rational theory Lois?
I think the irrationality of religions is more obvious than that of economic theories and their outcomes,
Lois, you claimed...
Theistic religion is the antithesis of rational thinking.
I replied with the following analysis of the rational basis for both theism and atheism.
Theists claim we go to heaven after death. Atheists claim we rot in the ground, and that’s it. Neither side can prove anything. Should we choose a theory which gives people hope, and encourages them to earn heaven through constructive behavior? Or should we choose a theory which promises nothing as a reward for all our efforts? We can’t separate these theories on the basis of fantasy, because both are fantasy. The theist thinks they know, the atheist thinks they know, but the truth is nobody has a clue what death is.
Which is the most rational theory Lois?
You completey misunderstand atheism. The atheist doesn't say he knows whether there is an afterlife or not. He says there is no evidence of one so he sees no reason to waste his time believing in one. That people need the "comfort" of belief is wrong. Atheists do well without it. I don't see any atheists pining for the "comfort" of religion. There is a lot more comfort in rational thinking.