2014 State Of The Planet

warned that the effects of AGW on the permafrost could lead to a dramatic spike in temp. http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2009/07/14/the-latest-on-permafrost/
And that was 5 years ago. This is 2 years old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx1Jxk6kjbQ psik
I strongly agree about the importance of teachers, Jack, but parents are even more important at the very beginning. Even though my mother had only an eighth grade education, she started teaching me to read when I was about two and a half. Although she had no scientific education, she was never satisfied with anything that didn't work the way she wanted it to, so she modified just about everything and often used things in ways that they weren't designed for. I couldn't help learning from her, and that gave me a big advantage as soon as I started school. Occam
Absolutely! Your mom sounds like a hoot. (in the good sense) Setting the tone. The older I get, the luckier I feel for my parents and background, living in Chicago and although money was always tight, we were taken to all the museums, zoos and the lake shore, other times being dressed up and taught how to behave at classical music concerts and actually enjoying the thing once we were there. Getting taken to the Davis Theater on Lincoln, at the time (60s) all German movies and newsreels from Europe. Early school years I had a heck of a time at public school, since my 2nd and 3rd grade teachers were of the nasty type and I kinda disconnected from the class. Math was self evident, but reading writing with a touch of dyslexia tossed in. But, I had parents that kept up on the homework scene and took my lagging behind seriously and proactively engaged - which by and by led to some of my earliest adventures ( two, half days off reg school - 4th grade was a three block walk, then 'she' was moved. Not sure what my parents did, besides asking me if I was up for it, but 5th grade found me running to catch a solo ride on the CTA a bunch of blocks then another block long walk to that wonderful reading/writing teacher who turned it all around - oh if she could only see me now) despite all odds, and more than a few predictions, I have managed to have an amazingly interesting fun productive life - sorry there's a certain something that happens to a person nearing 60 who can sleep in peace and look back satisfied. I did grab the reins and had a hell of good ride… on my own dime, working my way through it. … and that all leads back to my parents and their tone of appreciation and wonder and hunger for learning, to say nothing about the work ethic. You don't have to enjoy it, but you still better do it as good as you possibly can and keep learning so don't forget to shut up and listen! All that comes from engaged parents. Among my childhood memories are mom who in Chicago would stop us, inject a little drama and wonder looking over Lake Shore Drive: "Look children what two hands have achieved. Think on it" … or the drives out into the country and walks where: "Stop children, breath deeply, smell that air!!!" (of course it was in German and much more poetic.) and me and my two sisters would giggle, but actually do it and think about it. But, nowadays most kids seem to be growing up nurtured by a mass-media baby-sitters who fills their heads with Hollywood fantasies - that won't help them in real life one f'n bit. How could they know how precious the water coming out of that tap is, when no one ever asks them to think about it? How can they be curious about science if they never witnessed anyone being excited about new findings. Or asked them to explain something in order to force them to think about it. Mind you it wasn't all idilic, but it was engaging and an engaged mind is a growing learning mind. And once that learning is learned, guess it's like the runner's high, you can't get enough, and keep wanting to add new stuff and verify what you've heard and believe and you don't mind being corrected and you build on the whole chaos of information coming in, while being amazed at the world one is lucky enough to inhabit.
I know this is off topic but I'll reply here ...
Hey, I got nothing against digressions Cap't Jack, unless they are dodges, and I know you don't swing that way. :cheese:
Catcher in the Rye? Give me a break. psik
Thank you psik! Pathetic book, never could figure out the fascination it holds, but then I don't get Woody Allen either :smirk:
but then I don't get Woody Allen either :smirk:
Booooo! :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK1GBsmJdKA psik
… and that all leads back to my parents and their tone of appreciation and wonder and hunger for learning, to say nothing about the work ethic. You don’t have to enjoy it, but you still better do it as good as you possibly can and keep learning so don’t forget to shut up and listen! All that comes from engaged parents. Among my childhood memories are mom who in Chicago would stop us, inject a little drama and wonder looking over Lake Shore Drive: “Look children what two hands have achieved. Think on it" … or the drives out into the country and walks where: “Stop children, breath deeply, smell that air!!!" (of course it was in German and much more poetic.) and me and my two sisters would giggle, but actually do it and think about it.
Right you are CC. You, me, Occam and others on this site were given a gigantic boost up in life with caring parents who taught us to appreciate life's wonders. My father was fascinated with learning and like your parents, he took us everywhere he could to "see the sites". Every year we traveled and tent camped near historic places, towns and cities. I haunted museums then and still do. We lived for a time in South Bend,In. and visited Chicago often. The Field Museum and the Museum of Natural History were my favorites of course. Back in 59' we camped opposite the Jefferson Memorial in D.C. (It's a park now) and visited the Smithsonian, the Archives (in 84' I was allowed to do some research there for my masters program and got to go back in the stacks, what a hoot!), and the Zoo. This stuff stays with you and I still love to learn. I'm trying to instill that wonder in our granddaughters. We take them to the Carnegie Museum in Pittsburg every chance we get. They love the dinosaur exhibit. So do I. Our oldest loves to read. She's eight and reads on a sixth grade level and her sister is just as smart but loves puzzles, a linear thinker! I declared this Summer as "science Summer" and they're working on projects. Today we're building a crystal radio. Last week they built a robot duck. They're going to do well in school because we all emphasize the importance of learning but as George always contends, it's partly genetic as well and I don't disagree. Howsomever, a good teacher can impart that desire to his/her students as well. I've been harping on this it seems like forever and with proper training, a passion for knowledge, the skill of classroom management including discipline (not the Neanderthal type) you can fire a kid up and create that wonder that we experienced. Now, the reverse is also true if the "teacher" doesn't possess those characteristics. We all had them growing up, the history teacher who was a coach and read out of the book, the math teacher who said "if you didn't get it the first time then tough, I gotta move along", and etc. curiously, all of my Science and English teachers were pretty darn good, especially the science teachers. It was all hands on then, dissecting sharks, building models of the solar system, identifying plants, collecting insects, pretty fun stuff. I learned about evolution in high school and the other day my parents found my old text published in 1962 and what do you think? Evolution was clearly spelled out for all to see! amazing. No Creationist BS or ID. But I digress. Wow your Parents were German speakers. My favorite foreign language. My college German is a bit rusty these days but I still retain what I learned and practice it when I can. Crap, digressed again. Back on topic we now need to include open discussions about AGW especially in the science classrooms nationwide. This generation needs to know what it's up against in the near future. I always told them that they are the future voters and leaders and apathy is their enemy. I hope it caught their attention. For some it did. Cap't Jack
but then I don't get Woody Allen either :smirk:
Booooo! :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vK1GBsmJdKA psik What did she say "I really liked your early funny movies" :lol:
warned that the effects of AGW on the permafrost could lead to a dramatic spike in temp. http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2009/07/14/the-latest-on-permafrost/
And that was 5 years ago. This is 2 years old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx1Jxk6kjbQ psik thank psik, interesting stuff. Here's a video about permafrost thaw touching on not just the methane, but physical impacts of permafrost melting. Thawing Permafrost -- Changing Planet National Science Foundation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN4OdKPy9rM ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Nice post Cap't, it's good to know a little more about you.