Why Ancient Wisdom

I might do better to read other responses before offering my own, and apologise for any repetition of ideas already offered. I have just two or three minutes to write. As follows…!

It makes perfectly reasonable, good sense to consider seriously “old” ideas. Old ‘wisdom’, so that I am puzzled by the question. My first source of information, must always be my own experience, that is, what do I already ‘know’, or have confidence in, that may help me draw conclusions concerning existing puzzles, paths to be taken, decisions to be made?

Among my acquired information is almost certainly, and every time I need to access more, all of those positive experiences that are relative to new circumstances. That pool of information that I reference every time, includes some of the oldest, most ancient, scraps of knowledge, memory, and shared experiences, that I imagine may well be as old as human species, itself. It survives so long for no more surprising reason, than that it is tried and tested over maybe millions of years, by millions of others of this same species. Does that mean that I can rely on that source of information alone? Of course not! One of those most precious bits of ancient wisdom advises very strongly against such a path!

Welcome to the forum. This is an old thread, so the person who asked the question hasn’t been around lately. I think he was asking is something considered wisdom based solely on it being ancient. You kind of addressed that.

This is an old thread, so the person who asked the question hasn’t been around lately.
Nonetheless, it's an interesting question which I have also asked and given some thought.

These beliefs, that ancient “wisdom” involves something modern man does not or cannot understand, is generally only held in some sort of “mythical thinking”. For instance, I remember seeing this suggested many years ago on a documentary about “Coral Castle”. It’s a piece of land that a single person built a bunch of strange stuff on. They used terms like “perfectly balanced” to describe some of the stone mechanisms. One such mechanism is a stone wall where the central, large stone slab can be pushed with a single finger, causing it to rotate around an axis. Most of the wall “spins” (those studying it have since learned that wasn’t caused by some mysterious “balance”, he used bearings).

Since the place was shrouded in mystery, stories were born, of course. He supposedly only had simplistic tools, like a tripod hoist he made himself out of wood, capable of safely supporting, maybe, up to a ton, and that’s questionable. Yet many of the pieces he used weight several times that. In one story, a man brought him a stone slab on a flatbed, seeing only this makeshift tripod for tools. He was asked to turn his back. Within a few seconds he heard a scraping noise and turned around to find that the man had unloaded a 5 or 10 ton stone slab by himself in seconds. So the documentary was asking what “ancient wisdom” he might have had allowing him to perform such feats.

And then there’s the building of the pyramids, something “impossible with modern technology” (but really not). Since we couldn’t do it with the tools we have today (again, yes we could), then how did they do it? The guesses usually involve magic or aliens, the “ancient knowledge” of which has been lost.

Pretty much all of these “ancient knowledge” claims I have heard, certainly all I can think of now, involve a deep sense of mysticism of one sort or another. They’re usually talking about aliens or magic (including religious-based magic or magical happenings), but sometimes that is more implied than outright stated, sometimes being presented as a general sense of wonder with the listener left to their own imaginations.

So, essentially, it’s an undisprovable way for people to believe in magic, allowing them to believe it without giving any possible dissenters a chance to shatter those beliefs with facts. It’s a “safe magic” to believe in because, “You don’t know! You can’t know!”

@ensnaturae

I love that picture you used.

I think the reason for the apparently too rapid development of some civilizations could be similar to the Renaissance in Europe. Discoveries continue to push technologies and civilizations further back in time. Ancient near extinction or local extinction events could have had the same effect as the plagues in Europe. Ancient wisdom could have been lost and then rediscovered many times.

Modern humans for hundreds of thousands of years have had the mental capacity we have today. They accomplished spectacular advances and some of their accomplishments are now considered ancient wisdom. It’s just more difficult to talk about future wisdom than current wisdom or ancient wisdom.

. Old age is when you start to turn out the lights for economical rather than romantic reasons! Old age is that period of life when your idea of getting ahead is staying even. Old age is when you can do just as much as ever, but would rather not.

. Old age is a mysterious experience, but all these laws have been found by the Western mind. I have not been able to discover anybody in the whole literature of the East talking about old age. On the contrary, old age has been praised immensely, because in the East it has been thought that you are not old. If your life has simply moved on the horizontal line, you are only aged. But if your life, your consciousness, has moved vertically, upwards, then you have attained the beauty, the glory of old age. Old age in the East has been synonymous with wisdom.

. These are the two paths: one is horizontal – from childhood to youth, to old age and to death; the other is vertical – from childhood to youth, to old age, and to immortality. The difference in quality of both the dimensions is immense, incalculable.