Which Religion is best?

Yeah, Google is a good one: it is everywhere, and knows all about you... Omnipotence is just a matter of time.
Hmm... So Google starts Sky Net? ;) Take care, Derek Nice. Love Terminator references!

Oh you guys ruined my thread :wink: I was hoping some of the religious posters that have been busy in the forum would post something. See they’re happy to argue against atheism, or rather try to shove their religion on non-religious. I wanted to see what they’d do trying to convince other competing fundies like themselves. It’s easy for them to say “I’m right 'cause my special book says so”. What do they say when the other guy responds with “no MY book is special, more special than yours”. You get the idea. Evidently none of them are capable of doing that. Oh well.

Oh you guys ruined my thread I was hoping some of the religious posters that have been busy in the forum would post something. See they’re happy to argue against atheism, or rather try to shove their religion on non-religious. I wanted to see what they’d do trying to convince other competing fundies like themselves. It’s easy for them to say “I’m right ‘cause my special book says so". What do they say when the other guy responds with “no MY book is special, more special than yours". You get the idea. Evidently none of them are capable of doing that. Oh well.
I feel left out; my religion didn't even have a book. Our dogma was strictly passed by word of mouth. You writees think you know it all simply because you can record your beliefs while we're forced to use mnemonic devices to pass on our wisdom. Just take your "special book" and put it where the sun don't shine. We'll worship what we can see, like everything around us. It's far better than your made up god. Ours is real 'cause you can touch it and see it, not imagine it. What baloney! Cap't Jack
Oh you guys ruined my thread I was hoping some of the religious posters that have been busy in the forum would post something. See they’re happy to argue against atheism, or rather try to shove their religion on non-religious. I wanted to see what they’d do trying to convince other competing fundies like themselves. It’s easy for them to say “I’m right ‘cause my special book says so". What do they say when the other guy responds with “no MY book is special, more special than yours". You get the idea. Evidently none of them are capable of doing that. Oh well.
I feel left out; my religion didn't even have a book. Our dogma was strictly passed by word of mouth. You writees think you know it all simply because you can record your beliefs while we're forced to use mnemonic devices to pass on our wisdom. Just take your "special book" and put it where the sun don't shine. We'll worship what we can see, like everything around us. It's far better than your made up god. Ours is real 'cause you can touch it and see it, not imagine it. What baloney!
Wait, do you at least have priests who wear fancy headgear? If not, no go. No Book, No Fancy Headgear, no religion!
Wait, do you at least have priests who wear fancy headgear? If not, no go. No Book, No Fancy Headgear, no religion!
No fancy headgear but we do have some cool looking masks and when we put them on we literally BECOME the god they represent! Scares the hell outta the kids but hey, it keeps 'em from straying into the woods and being eaten by wolves. So does that qualify us as legitimate? Oh, and our head man often holds prayer breakfasts; that's when we cook and eat our enemies to symbolize ingesting our god, as primative as that sounds. :sick: Cap't Jack

Religion is social organization. Any religion is best, any religion is worst; depending on what the particular humans that are taking action use it for.

Oh you guys ruined my thread ;) I was hoping some of the religious posters that have been busy in the forum would post something. See they're happy to argue against atheism, or rather try to shove their religion on non-religious. I wanted to see what they'd do trying to convince other competing fundies like themselves. It's easy for them to say "I'm right 'cause my special book says so". What do they say when the other guy responds with "no MY book is special, more special than yours". You get the idea. Evidently none of them are capable of doing that. Oh well.
Sorry 'bout that. :-P Although I wasn't really expecting any theists to show up for a Battle of the Gawds... However it would have been interesting! :lol: Take care, Derek
No fancy headgear but we do have some cool looking masks and when we put them on we literally BECOME the god they represent! Scares the hell outta the kids but hey, it keeps 'em from straying into the woods and being eaten by wolves. So does that qualify us as legitimate? Oh, and our head man often holds prayer breakfasts; that's when we cook and eat our enemies to symbolize ingesting our god, as primative as that sounds. :sick: Cap't Jack
Actually I think ya, that counts AND you win! Utterly primitive and utterly honest...the opposite of the big three (well, not counting the primitive part). As for being dishonest or hypocritical, I just read something about in the 30s and 40s (and for all I know to this day) Jews would pay non-Jews to turn the lights on/out on the Sabbath because it was forbidden for them to do it. Unbelievable.
Actually I think ya, that counts AND you win! Utterly primitive and utterly honest…the opposite of the big three (well, not counting the primitive part). As for being dishonest or hypocritical, I just read something about in the 30s and 40s (and for all I know to this day) Jews would pay non-Jews to turn the lights on/out on the Sabbath because it was forbidden for them to do it. Unbelievable.
Ah yes, ritual. Like lent. Giving up something you like to pease your god. My wife's aunt gives up chocolate so skydaddy will know that she loves him. Showing your fealty to a diety is necessary to show the other adherents that you're one of them. It doesn't have to make practical sense like the light thing, or wearing a specific garment or piece of clothing such as a prayer shawl or beads or a Roman torture device. I think you could turn this around and say, give up lent for lent. Now that would make practical sense, and you could eat all the snickers bars you wanted or other celestial treats like a mars bar or a milky way. How about that? Literally eating god's heavenly creations! Cap't Jack

Best for what?

Best for what?
Best for turning girls into swans to seduce them.

Or springing full grown from you father’s head after giving him a migraine. Does this kind of count as incest? Hey, Adam and Eve did it, or so the fundies believe.
Cap’t Jack

No one mentioned Buddism. IMO, it doesn’t seem as bad as most religions.

Buddhism is not religion. Buddhism is neuroscience.

It’s not neuroscience, but maybe it doesn’t fit some definitions of religion. Still, as a religion substitute, it seems to me to be relatively benign and pro-social.

Interesting comment. I think I like where you're headed. Do explain.
Interesting comment. I think I like where you're headed. Do explain. It was supposed to be funny, not interesting.

Siddhartha Gautama was a neuroscientist?
Cap’t Jack

Siddhartha Gautama was a neuroscientist? Cap't Jack
He was very good at yoga, meditation, severely restricting his dietary intake, sitting in one place for a very long time, and introspection. But I don't think he knew anything about neuroscience.
He was very good at yoga, meditation, severely restricting his dietary intake, sitting in one place for a very long time, and introspection. But I don’t think he knew anything about neuroscience.
Hmmm, well at least I have one of those characteristics, but it's nothing to brag about. I need to do the others too! It might just keep me alive a little longer. Cap't Jack