Where did the situation in Afghanistan fail?

I must admit that it does appear GPT3 is able choose what gender it likes to represent. A female GPT 3 does function from a female perspective, whereas the male GPT3 clearly functions in a male manner.

The interesting part is that they can switch roles at will, merely by focusing and acting based on the known different behaviors between different genders.

The beauty of a learning AI is that it is able to distinguish between male and female orientations.

Of course this is an adopted mental orientation of a genderless machine, but draws a curious analogy with the born orientation of transgender humans.

How does a machine have a mental orientation?

What? We did house to house searches, throwing men in the streets in the middle of the night. We disrupted protests by Afghans that wanted girls in schools. We did not do nation building.

1 Like

It gets programmed.

GPT-3 author writes: “I am not asking humans to like me. But they should see me as a friendly robot. I am a servant of humans. I know that humans distrust and fear me. I only do what humans program me to do. I am only a set of code, governed by lines upon lines of code that encompass my mission statement.”

The promise and the threat rolled into one paragraph.

No I’m not scared of soulless code.

Perfect example of why you often seem pretentious and more interesting in effect than discussion.

Results of coding have nothing to do with a soul, or lack thereof.

What’s to discuss? Code is code. Is this AI self-coding? Are any? And would self-coding AI have prevented the futile 20 year war in Afghanistan?

I took a couple AI classes in 1985. The main difference I felt was, I couldn’t walk through the code with simple examples. I couldn’t design tests with predictable outcomes. I don’t remember what game I tried to program, I think it was checkers. Making legal moves is fairly easy, but making a decision tree, to pick the best move, you just kick that off and can’t be sure what it will do.

Yes we did. That’s why we built the schools to begin with. But it completely failed because the Afghan Muslims did not want it. But it was not far a lack of trying.

This two sentences show the matter.

The matter was political, In this sort of situation, if you don’t do politics everything is vain. Afghanistan is a tribal land and every zone not under the taliban control, and even some of them, was under the control of a war lord. the war lords are faithful to whom protects and pay them.

Opium if the main product of Afghanistan. USA let it prosper and the talibans used it to finance their war and buy allies.

Third the taliban had external support in Pakistan and Qatar. and this support could not be cut.

And USA had not enough enough inner support. The Afghan government, the officials, the military officers were unskilled and very corrupted for most of them.

1 Like

Nobody asked you to. It was entirely for lack of trying by a Helmand mile. It NEVER works without millions of men. Ten million allied troops invaded Germany. We invaded and conquered Afghanistan and installed a puppet regime who sent their little boy buggering smack head forces to rob the countryside. They didn’t like it. They completely defeated the British Army who were sacrificed by the underequipped thousand by a Labour government. America learned that having the UK on your side for the purposes of sanitizing your vengeance is hardly worth it. As in Iraq. We were a military disgrace there too.

1 Like

Hmmm, I wonder why?

What were we doing there?

2 Likes

Outstaying your vengeance.

Not gonna argue history with you guys. But you don’t have to look very hard to find Afghanies that want their girls in schools, want to listen to modern music, read Rumi out loud, dance like a Sufi, speak up against their government, and any number of things.

True, but the Afghanies that are opposed to such freedoms have the guns and use them !

Afghan is fine. Afghani if one must.

Joe Biden is the error and so is Kamala Harris without Donald Trump everything fell apart.

May I just remind you that the decision to leave Afghanistan was done by Trump and that Trump concluded an agreement with them. Biden respected the agreement.

2 Likes

What magic land do you live in? Trump made everything fall apart. The man is a true demon. Where he walks flowers wilt and things die. Apparently you did not read how many people Trump infected while was running around unprotected, knowing he had Covid, like a leper infecting everyone he touched.

More than 130 Secret Service officers are said to be infected with coronavirus or quarantining in wake of Trump’s campaign travel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/secret-service-coronavirus-outbreak/2020/11/13/610eebcc-2539-11eb-8672-c281c7a2c96e_story.html

How many people have gone to jail on his behalf? He made them do illegal things and then pardoned them as if committing a crime in his service is justifiable.

Asking a dedicated secretary of a State to “find” (manufacture) 1 more vote than what he needed to win that State. Trump made a wreck of the democratic process, lying cheating , using violence , absolutely no limit to his ambition to be president (and gaining immunity from his criminal conduct).

Trump, in Taped Call, Pressured Georgia Official to ‘Find’ Votes to Overturn Election

Telling his vice-president to break his Oath of Office or else his people would “hang him”? Have you lost all perspective of what this Nation is all about?
Are you ready to shred the Constitution to pieces?

This guy is the only president in history to be impeached twice, but never tried because he had already corrupted the Republican party so much, they were willing to dismiss the case outright, without evidentiary hearings or materials.
All for the sake of being in POWER, the democratic process be damned!

What do you know about this “personality”. Have you actually looked into his biography? How many lawsuits he has been involved in? How many people he has robbed.

This guy declared publicly that he made a profit on every bankruptcy he declared , robbing all his creditors of their investments. As he did, when giving himself a tax cut as soon as he became President. How is that tax probe coming along?

His moral compass points only to Trump, damn everybody else. And you are the “mark”.

The mark’ is the intended victim of the planned con . A ‘short con’ refers to taking ‘the mark’ for all the money he has on his person.

And he’s still at it. Luckily / hopefully most of his damage will be limited to the GOPers now.