Time for registration of reiigious offenders

Hello. I am a new poster to this forum, and I was inspired to join after reading about the 16-year girl in Israel who was killed by religious extremists because she was protesting in favour of something that the religious extremists did not support.
IT IS TIME FOR RELIGIOUS OFFENDERS TO BE REGISTERED THE SAME AS SEX OFFENDERS!
Both types of criminals are crazy, and unable to control themselves, so they should be identified and watched as potential dangers to the public.
What do others think?

Sorry for my typo in the title; that word should of course be “religious”.

Hello. I am a new poster to this forum, and I was inspired to join after reading about the 16-year girl in Israel who was killed by religious extremists because she was protesting in favour of something that the religious extremists did not support. IT IS TIME FOR RELIGIOUS OFFENDERS TO BE REGISTERED THE SAME AS SEX OFFENDERS! Both types of criminals are crazy, and unable to control themselves, so they should be identified and watched as potential dangers to the public. What do others think?
Yes, good point. Incidentally you can edit the thread title if you are the one who created it by using the edit function. Lois
Hello. I am a new poster to this forum, and I was inspired to join after reading about the 16-year girl in Israel who was killed by religious extremists because she was protesting in favour of something that the religious extremists did not support. IT IS TIME FOR RELIGIOUS OFFENDERS TO BE REGISTERED THE SAME AS SEX OFFENDERS! Both types of criminals are crazy, and unable to control themselves, so they should be identified and watched as potential dangers to the public. What do others think?
Perhaps you could define, a bit more precisely, what you mean by a religious offender. Many of the crimes being committed in the name of religion, are included in prosecutable crimes, and these are part of the public record, and arrests and convictions are usually reported in the local papers. If you are simply referring to those who want to proselytize their religion, they are breaking no law that I am aware of.

As the husband of someone who works with sex offenders, I can tell you that those laws are currently being challenged. Actually not the registration stuff, although I suspect that’s next, but the programs that lock them up and say it is “treatment”. So, politically, I don’t think the time is right for an idea like this.
Instead, I would suggest a better enforcement of current laws, like not preaching politics to the point of telling people who to vote for.

Calgary, I have a deep disdain for those who kill in the name of their religion, perhaps equal in my disdain for sex offenders who do equally horrific things. But sexual deviancy is not explicitly Constitutionally protected. Religion is.

As the husband of someone who works with sex offenders, I can tell you that those laws are currently being challenged. Actually not the registration stuff, although I suspect that's next, but the programs that lock them up and say it is "treatment". So, politically, I don't think the time is right for an idea like this. Instead, I would suggest a better enforcement of current laws, like not preaching politics to the point of telling people who to vote for.
There is one imbalance that should be corrected. In a criminal court case there is a limit on how many "bad" things that can be introduced against the plaintiff, and a limit on how many good things that can be introduced for the defendant. There is a definite bias against the one accused of a crime, that limits the justification of the presumed crime.

Another thought: Our registration of sex offenders is deeply flawed. e.g., An immature 20 year old who has consensual sexual relations with a precocious and more socially mature 16 year old, can be convicted and registered as a sex offender. Thus such an offender would be classified in the same category as a blatantly perverse psychopath who is obsessed with achieving their own pleasure at the expense of and without regard to the horrific impact on his/her helpless victims.

I disagree.
Religious offenders who stand out from the rest of society are already on a certain kind of list. Thats good enough, IMO.

Religious offenders: People who offend by being religious? They are not offensive as such, but they are crazy!
This craziness is in the form of delusion. They live in two worlds, this world and the dream world of heaven and eternal life. As such they are a dual personality, suffers of schizophrenia. How crazy are they? It varies of course, but when people have such a condition they should be so diagnosed and given the cure, which is education. Instead of registration, how about them wearing a duck’s head cap so everyone will know they are quaky!
Religious sex offenders? This is reprehensible in any case and when children are involved it cannot be tolerated. More than 'registration" is needed at many levels of society.

Religious offenders: People who offend by being religious? They are not offensive as such, but they are crazy! This craziness is in the form of delusion. They live in two worlds, this world and the dream world of heaven and eternal life. As such they are a dual personality, suffers of schizophrenia. How crazy are they? It varies of course, but when people have such a condition they should be so diagnosed and given the cure, which is education. Instead of registration, how about them wearing a duck's head cap so everyone will know they are quaky! Religious sex offenders? This is reprehensible in any case and when children are involved it cannot be tolerated. More than 'registration" is needed at many levels of society.
All murderers and sex offenders should, IMO, be subjected to the punishment that their crime warrants. In our society being religious is not considered to be a mental illness. I agree that they have something that is strikingly similar to delusions, but technically speaking, simply having religious beliefs, does not fit the diagnostic criteria for disorders such as MPD or schizophrenia. And AFAIK, there is no cure for religiosity, other than the possibility that an individual will, at some point, develop beyond it. But I share your extra-disdain for murderers and sex offenders who commit their crimes in the name of religion or under its protection.