The UN will be appointing a major supporter of Uganda's anti gay laws to be its president.

I can’t believe this is about to happen. The UN continues to loose credibility and this story seems to be just a blip on the radar.

I think they should revoke his visa to be on US soil.

I wonder how many of the delegates who may have voted for this action a) dislike homosexuallity, or b) don’t see that view of the Ugandan president as important.
Occam

From what I read, apparently this is largely a ceremonial position that rotates among member states. The vote is more ratification than actual election. This brings to the fore a structural feature that would require more than just a vote to change. It shows an embarrassing part of the structure that trivializes the UN. Among other things that trivialize the UN.

Oh geez, I misread your thread title to mean he would only be the Ugandan president. If he’s the president of the UN, that’s disgusting and a major error on their part. They will immediately lose credibility with and respect from a significant portion of the world’s population.
Occam

A simple fix would be to just add a couple of letters to the organization’s name, that would more accurately reflect its true character. Call it the Un-united Nations.

Well, it’s official. The UN president is a homophobe.

Oh geez, I misread your thread title to mean he would only be the Ugandan president. If he's the president of the UN, that's disgusting and a major error on their part. They will immediately lose credibility with and respect from a significant portion of the world's population. Occam
As if they haven't already! The UN has a death wish. Lois
Well, it's official. The UN president is a homophobe. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-27789108
The law that he supported and signed will not only provide up to life in prison for persons who engage in homosexuality, it also provides certain penalties for anyone who simply supports LGBT rights. The Act initially had the death penalty, but they amended it, before it became law. It replaced an earlier law which only allowed for up to 14 years imprisonment.

I have lost all the respect I ever had for the United Nations. I suspect I am not alone. The intentions were right, but the way it was set up doomed it to fail. IMO, it is completely useless except for its humanitarian efforts, which the political arm has managed to obliterate.
Lois

I can't believe this is about to happen. The UN continues to loose credibility and this story seems to be just a blip on the radar. http://www.voanews.com/content/controversial-ugandan-set-to-lead-unga/1934098.html I think they should revoke his visa to be on US soil.
Well, they did back an overtly neo-Nazi-led coup in Ukraine against a popular, democratically-elected president simply because he didn't fully support the UN's economic agenda. Then they compared Putin to Hitler. I'm no fan of Putin, but give me a frigging break! They refused to put voting monitors in Crimea for the secession referendum because they said it was an illegitimate vote. Then they had the gall to say the voters "had guns to their heads", even though no serious person denies that an overwhelming majority of Crimeans wanted to secede (90%+ of the 80%+ that voted wanted independence from Ukraine). They said secession is illegal even though they've facilitated a number of secessions over the last decade or so. So, secession is unacceptable, but a coup against a democratically-elected leader by neo-Nazis? Not a peep from the UN.
... Then they compared Putin to Hitler. I'm no fan of Putin, but give me a frigging break!...
Really. Can you imagine Hitler, shirtless on horseback? ...
... Then they compared Putin to Hitler. I'm no fan of Putin, but give me a frigging break!...
Really. Can you imagine Hitler, shirtless on horseback? ... This was the closest thing I could find: https://twitter.com/shitimobsessed/status/307364170964299776 Shirtless, but unfortunately no horse. Damn, I didn't realize Hitler was such a fitness buff! It feels a bit strange saying this about Hitler, but I'm inspired! I'm getting a gym membership. Like, today.
Really. Can you imagine Hitler, shirtless on horseback? ... This was the closest thing I could find: https://twitter.com/shitimobsessed/status/307364170964299776 Shirtless, but unfortunately no horse. Damn, I didn't realize Hitler was such a fitness buff! It feels a bit strange saying this about Hitler, but I'm inspired! I'm getting a gym membership. Like, today. Wow. I take it back. That picture puts Putin's machismo to shame. It could cause a furor over the fuhrer. It's a good thing he's dead and gone lest France lie back and get "invaded" again.