The big question

Very interesting, green with an animist feel ….

This thread started out about our relationship to death. Recently, I read “Finish Strong” by Barbara Coombs Lee, about taking control of the end of our lives. She’s been there for the long history of the changes, from nurse to lawyer. In this book, she’s acknowledging that change has hit some roadblocks and instead of working on changing the laws, she’s trying to change the conversation.

Much of the problems we have with being able to tell our doctors what we want stem from religious objections. Our fee for service system is also a problem. She handles both of these diplomatically, while not pulling punches on what needs to be done. The main thrust though, is getting all of us to talk about it. Only then will we be able to speak comfortably, as one larger voice, to allow people end their life when they are ready, to direct their care to preventing pain while letting nature take its course let us go without spending our inheritance in a hospital or being hooked up to machines so we can live a few more months.

Oh, wow! You’re right that’s taking it into the right direction. Can probable even use that magic word ‘sustainable’ to it.

I had no idea.

Hey, this is a great example why some of us like it here at CFI. One can find out about interesting things, ya never had a clue about.

Exactly! I really like the idea because it’s how I try to live my life, so it’s very fitting for my death. The funeral can be any way they want, because that’s for the living, but the burial I think should match the person.

Ironically, my Russian friends grand mother died a few days back, and yesterday we had a “neighbor” get together to celebrate her life, and see some pictures, tell hear some stories, share some stories, eat some Russian food, and of course a couple shots of some of the smoothest vodka you’ve ever tasted, with a shot of vodka, sitting there in a place of honor, waiting for grandma, then tossed to the wind.

Grandma did good, rough life, but kept the family together and going. I know her one grandchild is special indeed. Grandma was in mid 80s, day before the night she died, she planted a hundred tomatoes in her garden. People can be so fantastic, too bad politics and religious obsessions and avarice and ego can make us so ugly. The sword’s edge of living.