Philosophical health check: survey

In my mind to not oppose the Nazis would have been also wrong.
Then taking life is sometimes okay, right? Not really. It's just that doing nothing while an army of stormtroopers is marching across Europe would also be wrong. I really don't think you're understanding what the survey is all about. Hey I can only do the best I can with what I have to work with! :) Looking back, if the question had been worded, "Is it always absolutely wrong to kill?", I would have disagreed, because it implies that there are absolute moral values. While I agree that there ARE moral values, they are not absolute. If I were placed in a position where I had a gun and the only way to stop some madman with a loaded Uzi from opening fire on a crowd of people were to kill him, I would probably do it. NOT because killing him is Right, but because it is marginally Less Wrong than allowing him to gun down twenty other people. In my opinion, if you ever catch yourself thinking, in this particular situation it's not wrong to kill, well presumably that was how a whole nation of devout Christian Germans convinced themselves that it wasn't wrong to kill 6 million Jews.

Well, as far as these kinds of moral dilemmas go, I think it’s much easier to accept that moral realism is nonsense and Bob’s your uncle.

Well, as far as these kinds of moral dilemmas go, I think it's much easier to accept that moral realism is nonsense and Bob's your uncle.
I'm resigned to being a moral realist now (wasnt always). I just cant accept that inflicting suffering isnt objectively morally wrong in certain situations, like the holocaust. Stephen

As a moral realist, Stephen, you would find suffering always wrong, not only in certain situations.

As a moral realist, Stephen, you would find suffering always wrong, not only in certain situations.
Hmm, well in a sense I do due to my belief that we dont have free will. But in the case of moral dilemmas we have no choice but to look for the lesser of two evils. V sad. My understanding of moral realism is the idea that its an objective fact that its wrong for me to flog my daughter because she hasnt taken the dog for a walk, for instance. Stephen