Neil: Destiny

Hi everyone,

I just posted a new blog entry last night here.

Here’s the content. Let’s discuss!

Neil: Destiny
Posted by YONKEY on 1 JUN 2021
https://open.spotify.com/track/7Kpqjspw4Y7HrvItIRcBiW?si=Bs2RGdYURvaY-zf21hb6Jg&utm_source=copy-link
Despite having free will, I’ve often wondered if we also each have a destiny. By that, I mean do we have some kind of path that we’re following throughout life that’s predetermined? Maybe not in the sense of every decision being known beforehand, but more like our life choices are centered around some kind of “constant”.

For example, we’re hardwired to have certain instincts. We try to survive, learn from our mistakes, provide for our family, etc. But I believe that fulfilling our destiny by using our gifts and talents to succeed in life, is another important human instinct.

Life is a series of choices, and our morals help us make these decisions. Therefore, our destiny consists of: how we’re raised, our knowledge and experience, and what we believe will be the best for our future. Good or bad decisions don’t really exist, because they’re all subjective to the individual.

Does this mean our fate is sealed? Hardly. We can always use history as a guide. When we start seeing familiar patterns, we can predict outcomes. Depending on whether or not we like that outcome, we can change some “variables” around and get some other result entirely.

As for my own destiny, I’m guided primarily by two things: logic and emotion. Logic gives me a path of true or false statements that I choose to follow, which lead towards some kind of result. But emotion dictates whether or not I will like or dislike every choice I make along the way. So, if I want to be happy in the future, I try to make choices that will ultimately lead to the goal of “happiness”.

Of course, this doesn’t always happen. Life can throw you a curveball, and you end up in a depressing state of misery. This is where upbringing and experience come in. You can use that knowledge to change and grow. Eventually, in time, you’ll return again to your “happy path”.

Negative events in life are like tests. They test your mind, heart and soul. Sometimes these events are predictable and sometimes they aren’t. Generally, they’re caused by forces outside of your control; so, try not to stress out over them. Just remember to follow the happy path of your decision-making process, and everything will work itself out.

Sure there’s a certain “destiny” dictated by the circumstance we were born into - that’s including all that’s in your bloodline, and how those filters impact how we deal with the world.

There’s also a sort of Karma, the energy you send out, will impact response. Your way of solving problems, or your way of shooting yourself in your foot, will dictate how you proceed in life. Circumstances, can also take a hold, and drive your destiny.

But, are you asking about some preordained destiny that the stars map our and natures forces guide you too. That’s the stuff of our imaginations. Hero stories and all that, they have their value since we need to tell ourselves stories, but they do not dictate destiny.

Einstein was definitely wrong and God definitely plays with dice. Randomness, and Emergence, and detours and all that get’s in the way.

Or as someone else once said, most eloquently,: “Life is what happens, while we’re busy making plans.

@yonkey Negative events in life are like tests. They test your mind, heart and soul. Sometimes these events are predictable and sometimes they aren’t. ... Just remember to follow the happy path of your decision-making process, and everything will work itself out.
For me, it comes down to focusing on today and doing one's best to stay true to the goals one set for oneself during our more innocent days. I'm fortunate in that I'm content and not driven my material envy, or wishing I were somewhere else.
Despite having free will, I’ve often wondered if we also each have a destiny.
How about, our "destiny" is "colored" ?
But, are you asking about some preordained destiny that the stars map our and natures forces guide you too. That’s the stuff of our imaginations. Hero stories and all that, they have their value since we need to tell ourselves stories, but they do not dictate destiny.
Good question. When I wrote this entry, I wasn't really thinking 100% rationally about what destiny itself is. You mentioned bloodlines and circumstances we're born into. I think I touched on that as well in the entry.

But as for the stars going into alignment with the sun and moon… all that stuff is beyond me, lol. Maybe there’s some scientific truth to it, but I just use astrology as entertainment. Not as a source of truth.

As for how destiny relates to hero stories, yes. As a kid, I always assumed destiny was determined by the Narrator of the story. After all, he/she is the only one who knows exactly how the characters will proceed throughout the tale. As an adult, I apply the same level of thinking to God as being the omnipotent Narrator of our lives. He doesn’t control what we say or do (obviously), but I believe there is a “story” that each of us have in life – and that pertains to the notion of destiny.

Lastly, I’ll mention that I made a poll for my Instagram and Facebook friends simply asking “Do you believe in destiny? Yes/No” 13 people responded in total, and all of them said Yes. The funny thing about those polls is that you can’t see the answer until you vote – so one vote didn’t influence the other.

I think the reason why everyone believes in destiny is because they feel their lives have a charted course and a purpose. It’s up to them to navigate through life, but ultimately everyone is following their own destiny.

How about, our “destiny” is “colored” ?
What do you mean by colored?

Predestination or Predetermination?

(my own “sorting things out”)

Predestination - You start at the tip of a tree, on a leaf, heading down. Even if you are able to jump from one branch to another, your destination will always be the trunk.

Predetermination - You start at the trunk. You have many choices on the way up, which may determine what side of the tree, how high up, etc. but ultimately, you’re still on the same tree.

Those may not match “Official” definitions, but who’s counting.

I am more of a Predetermination type guy. Or maybe I like to believe I still have some choices in my life, even if it is always still on this crab-apple tree ?

Nice! ? What you’re describing sounds like what we call “bottom-up” and “top-down” design in Software Engineering. It’s kind of a methodology used for solving problems, but it can easily be applied to anything, including going through life choices.

“wanting something” and “being capable of something” are 2 completely different things.

I wanted to fly, so I tried it from the Statue of Liberty. Made it all the way to the bay and drowned. I can’t swim…

That’s destiny.

You should try indoor skydiving. It’s the closest to flying you can get! Tons of fun, too. ?

A brilliant friend of mine said, “Nothing is free. There is a cost to every choice you and I make.”

Make pizza or the 3-course roast turkey dinner? Go to the beach or stay home and watch TV or go spend extra time on YOUR business?

Let’s ask, or flip a coin, or just see what happens.

Free will is kinda lame as a subject for reality in this world.