Music next to godliness?

Do you think that a minor chord could sound happier than a major chord, in any culture?
That's even true in our culture. Many examples abound of sad songs in major keys and happy songs in minor keys.
... Music as a universal language is a pretty common saying, but I don't think it's true... There are a lot of examples of people hearing unknown music and not being moved by it all, not recognizing any of it in their learned repertoire of sounds associated with music... One element of music which does seem to be universal is a musical intent to increase or decrease intensity. People from all cultures will agree when some music gets more or less intense - but as for greater details (more happy, more sad, more gross, etc.) how people interpret music seems to be entirely dependent on cultural context.
As a universal (sort of) language of emotion, I think the best analogy would be that of elicited non-verbal expressions of emotion (e.g., facial expressions, body language, and any outwardly apparent elicited physical bodily reaction to whatever stimulus.) (I could be wrong about music being a universal (sort of) language. So please feel free to challenge this. I would like to know if I am wrong.)

I was not talkingabout specific melodies. I was thinking more of human response to chordal harmonics.
IMO, a minor chord will sound sad, a 7th elicits an expectation of resolution, and a major chord is a happy sound and used as thge resolution to a 7th.
It is the composition (combination) of these chords that create the emotional response. Tension and release.
a few beautiful examples of the use of these chords and emotional response can be found in these examples:
Django (in memory of Django Reinhardt) by the Modern Jazz Quartet; - YouTube
and a live performance of Estate, by Michel Petrucciani which is irresistibly romantic.
Michel Petrucciani - Estate (Summer in Italia) Live at Montreux 1990 - YouTube
and for a bonus, this also performed by Chet Baker . His tone is like velvet, and has a positive emotional response in me.
Chet Baker - Estate - YouTube
If the music is mathematically compelling the brain to have a similar shared emparthic response of an rare event, it might be called a form of language, IMO…

Do you think that a minor chord could sound happier than a major chord, in any culture?
That's even true in our culture. Many examples abound of sad songs in major keys and happy songs in minor keys. small correction; minor = sad , major = happy . Is that what you meant to say?
... Music as a universal language is a pretty common saying, but I don't think it's true... There are a lot of examples of people hearing unknown music and not being moved by it all, not recognizing any of it in their learned repertoire of sounds associated with music...
As a universal (sort of) language of emotion, I think the best analogy would be that of elicited non-verbal expressions of emotion (e.g., facial expressions, body language, and any outwardly apparent elicited physical bodily reaction to whatever stimulus.) (I could be wrong about music being a universal (sort of) language. So please feel free to challenge this. I would like to know if I am wrong.) I agree, music is a mathematical emotional language and its effects are a product of our mirror neural network. This may be of interest: The *Catconcerto* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg
... Music as a universal language is a pretty common saying, but I don't think it's true... There are a lot of examples of people hearing unknown music and not being moved by it all, not recognizing any of it in their learned repertoire of sounds associated with music...
As a universal (sort of) language of emotion, I think the best analogy would be that of elicited non-verbal expressions of emotion (e.g., facial expressions, body language, and any outwardly apparent elicited physical bodily reaction to whatever stimulus.) (I could be wrong about music being a universal (sort of) language. So please feel free to challenge this. I would like to know if I am wrong.) I agree, music is a mathematical emotional language and its effects are a product of our mirror neural network. This may be of interest: The *Catconcerto* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeoT66v4EHg Hmm. She's not just pussy footing around. (And everyone thinks Prince was such a musical genius.)

Tim, a little aside; your quote of

Write4U - 21 April 2016 11:37 PM
… Music as a universal language is a pretty common saying, but I don’t think it’s true… There are a lot of examples of people hearing unknown music and not being moved by it all, not recognizing any of it in their learned repertoire of sounds associated with music…
is incorrect. TromboneAndrew was the author of that POV.
I agree to some degree as far as actual musical composition is concerned, but I believe there are some sound waves (or combinations) which elicit a common emotional response in all people,and perhaps in other mammals as well, regardless of culture.

That's even true in our culture. Many examples abound of sad songs in major keys and happy songs in minor keys. small correction; minor = sad , major = happy . Is that what you meant to say? Nope.
Tim, a little aside; your quote of
Write4U - 21 April 2016 11:37 PM ... Music as a universal language is a pretty common saying, but I don’t think it’s true… There are a lot of examples of people hearing unknown music and not being moved by it all, not recognizing any of it in their learned repertoire of sounds associated with music…
is incorrect. TromboneAndrew was the author of that POV. I agree to some degree as far as actual musical composition is concerned, but I believe there are some sound waves (or combinations) which elicit a common emotional response in all people,and perhaps in other mammals as well, regardless of culture.
Sorry. I hate when posters screw up and mis-attribute quotes to the wrong person. And here I made that mistake. Forgive me, Write and Trombone. I will not try to edit/correct the original mistake at this point as it might just cause further confusion.