Metformin anyone?

I know a few people in the 90-year-old range. Believe me, their lives are barely worth living now, and they admit it. Why would anyone want to live 30 more years as a very old person? It's all downhill after 70 and the decline is exponentially faster every year after that. Lois
My great grandmother lived by herself and was pretty spry into her 90s. She died in her sleep in her home, where she wanted to be. She had an active social life until her death, and was sharp as a tack.
I know a few people in the 90-year-old range. Believe me, their lives are barely worth living now, and they admit it. Why would anyone want to live 30 more years as a very old person? It's all downhill after 70 and the decline is exponentially faster every year after that. Lois
My great grandmother lived by herself and was pretty spry into her 90s. She died in her sleep in her home, where she wanted to be. She had an active social life until her death, and was sharp as a tack. That would be the point of starting metformin at an early age. And the relative uselessness of the testing they are starting on people in their 70s and 80s. The animal tests indicate that it extends health span. Suppose it gave a 50% increase to make the calcs easier and a young person started taking it at age 20. Then at age 50 they would be in the physical condition of someone 40 years old. At 80 they would have the body of a 60 year old. But thorough human testing takes decades because humans live so long therefore positive results from testing would be too late for tens of millions of people. psik
My great grandmother lived by herself and was pretty spry into her 90s. She died in her sleep in her home, where she wanted to be. She had an active social life until her death, and was sharp as a tack. It happens, of course. Some people do stay sharp and able into their 90s. Most people do not. It sounds as if you have some very good genes. Lois

It’s surprising that under Metformin, people are commenting about anti-aging drugs. Metformin is about diabetes. You can find more details about Metformin here

Thanks Bilal, I’m going to take your link as informative, even though I didn’t read much about it. Normally, a link a pharmaceutical site would be suspicious. This thread is really, really old though, so not much point in trying to add to it.

An Anti-Aging Pill? Think Twice The diabetes drug metformin, sometimes taken to slow aging, may blunt the health benefits of exercise.

By Gretchen Reynolds, June 19, 2019

www_nytimes_com/2019/06/19/well/move/an-anti-aging-pill-think-twice_html

A popular diabetes drug sometimes taken to slow aging may diminish some of the expected health benefits of aerobic exercise in healthy older adults, according to a new report. The drug, metformin, can blunt certain physical changes from exercise that normally help people to age well.

The results raise questions about the relationship of pills and physical activity in healthy aging and also whether we know enough about how drugs and exercise interact. The results are particularly disconcerting given that healthy, active people may be considering taking the drug to slow aging.

; }