Medical Question about Heart

Wow, TVA. Bad news on the heart attack but I’m glad you’re still around. Get well soon and keep posting.

Many thanks guys and the Appalachian diet is fried everything with a side order of grease. God but I loved fried chicken! Now only a memory.
Cap’t Jack

Hey Mac and all, just to let you guys know This post pretty much saved my life. I've been feeling pretty fatigued lately and Friday night I woke up with discomfort in my biceps and across my chest and it didn't go away. My wife called 911 and they took me directly to the cardiac hospital where I had a heartattack on the table. They put in a balloon and then four bypasses, two of which were blocked over 90%.the others were over 60% reading everyone's posts alerted me to be potential danger so when it hit I didn't hesitate. I'm recovering in the hospital, my wife brought my I-pad. Once again, thanks to all for this post. Now I'm officially off Te Appalachian diet. Cap't Jack
Wow. What a story! If you're on the iPad already you must be having a quick recovery. A friend's husband had a quadruple bypass recently. He spent several days in a state of serious confusion. Didn't know where he was or what day it was. He had never had a heart attack, they just discovered the blockages with tests. He's better now but he certainly couldn't have sent iPad messages even a week after the operation. Glad to hear you're ok. That was a close call! Lois

I’m still weak but healing quickly.Just glad they caught me on time as we we’re heading for vacation. The cardiac unit here is top notch and after the ICU they took me to step down and got me up. Mostly I’m still weak but not in pain. Of course the pain meds helped. I have seven incisions but everything is done by laser now so The scars are healing well. I’m probably going home today then three weeks of rehab. My wife brought my I-pad as a reader but I wanted to post as well. Kind of a return to normalcy.
Cap’t jack

Welcome back to the living, T.V.A. Yours was much more serious than the one I had twelve years ago. After the hospital rehab (exercise regime) three times a week for the four weeks paid for by my insurance, I switched to the local Y (formerly YMCA) and have been going there three times a week ever since. As Macgyver says, you can’t get rid of your plaque, but regular cardiac exercise keeps your arteries stretched and open so the blood can flow past the obstructions more easily. So stay with the exercise.
Occam

TVA
I haven’t been paying attention to this thread, glad you made it, follow Doctor’s orders, have a good recovery. (Leave the Buffalo Wings :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: go.)

I'm still weak but healing quickly.Just glad they caught me on time as we we're heading for vacation. The cardiac unit here is top notch and after the ICU they took me to step down and got me up. Mostly I'm still weak but not in pain. Of course the pain meds helped. I have seven incisions but everything is done by laser now so The scars are healing well. I'm probably going home today then three weeks of rehab. My wife brought my I-pad as a reader but I wanted to post as well. Kind of a return to normalcy. Cap't jack
Glad you're on the mend!

Thanks again guys. Right now I’m taking bowl of meds I’ve never even heard of. They do insist on the exercise and after the rehab sessions at the hospital it’s back to walking and the bike. Before this horrible weather forced me inside I was peddling six miles a day. And since it doesn’t appear to be genetic (both my parents are still living and physically active at 88) they concluded it was a very poor diet for a long time and no exercise. So I’m fixing that up immediately. I’m going to try to stay off red meat for a while although I can have it in moderation. For now, I’m getting stronger daily but not up to really posing much yet although there’ a few topics I’d like to dive in to. Soon.
Cap’t Jack

TVA I haven’t been paying attention to this thread, glad you made it, follow Doctor’s orders, have a good recovery. (Leave the Buffalo Wings go.)
Gary, you don't know what you're asking! Dry rubbed Buffalo wings were my favorite. Guess I'll be dining on tofu turkey for a while. Cap't Jack
Thanks again guys. Right now I'm taking bowl of meds I've never even heard of. They do insist on the exercise and after the rehab sessions at the hospital it's back to walking and the bike. Before this horrible weather forced me inside I was peddling six miles a day. And since it doesn't appear to be genetic (both my parents are still living and physically active at 88) they concluded it was a very poor diet for a long time and no exercise. So I'm fixing that up immediately. I'm going to try to stay off red meat for a while although I can have it in moderation. For now, I'm getting stronger daily but not up to really posing much yet although there' a few topics I'd like to dive in to. Soon. Cap't Jack
Glad to hear you're doing better and it's is obviously important to make some lifestyle changes but in all likelihood there is some genetic contribution to this as well. People often make the assumption that if mom and dad didn't have something then they are not genetically disposed to that problem but genetics really isn't that simple in most cases. Except for a few disorders most illnesses are brought on by the interaction between environment and a suite of genes. For example there may be 10 or 20 genes that affect your risk of hypertension. Dad could have 7 of the bad ones and mom may have 8 so neither has hypertension but they may give birth to an offspring who inherits 13 of the bad ones and ends up with a predisposition which may then lead to hypertension given the right environmental triggers. A condition like heart disease is certainly multifactorial in both it's genetic and environmental risk factors. Each of us is a genetically unique individual that has never existed before unless we are an identical twin so while family history can give us some clues to our genetic risks it's really only a crude guide. Unfortunately you can't pick your parents so you have to work on the things you can change. The best thing that could come out of you misfortune TVA is that you adopt better lifestyle habits but also your friends family and aquaintences do to. Maybe some of your readers on this forum will make changes that save their own lives because you shared this.
Thanks again guys. Right now I'm taking bowl of meds I've never even heard of. They do insist on the exercise and after the rehab sessions at the hospital it's back to walking and the bike. Before this horrible weather forced me inside I was peddling six miles a day. And since it doesn't appear to be genetic (both my parents are still living and physically active at 88) they concluded it was a very poor diet for a long time and no exercise. So I'm fixing that up immediately. I'm going to try to stay off red meat for a while although I can have it in moderation. For now, I'm getting stronger daily but not up to really posing much yet although there' a few topics I'd like to dive in to. Soon. Cap't Jack
I'd like to know what you were peddling, Jack. ;-P
A condition like heart disease is certainly multifactorial in both it’s genetic and environmental risk factors. Each of us is a genetically unique individual that has never existed before unless we are an identical twin so while family history can give us some clues to our genetic risks it’s really only a crude guide.
You hit the ail on the head there Mac, although my doctor was very pleased to hear that neither of my parents had heart trouble. Fortunately I have the histories of ancestors going back several generations on both sides so I'm somewhat aware of my genetic background but as you say, we're all unique and life is literally a crap shoot and we're not going to live forever even if we fool ourselves into believing it. I intend to go down fighting however and do a turnaround. My whole family is preparing to do The same so it will be a little easier. Cap't Jack
I’d like to know what you were peddling, Jack.
As hard as I can Lois, on a seven speed bike that is :-P Cap't Jack
I’d like to know what you were peddling, Jack.
As hard as I can Lois, on a seven speed bike that is :-P Cap't Jack
That's pedaling! Peddling is selling something. Just making a joke at your expense. :-S

Hey Lois, cut me some slack! I’m still full of anesthesia. I know it’s pedaling for God’s sakes!
Cap’t Jack

Hey Lois, cut me some slack! I'm still full of anesthesia. I know it's pedaling for God's sakes! Cap't Jack
Not God, for your heart's sake! :-P
Not God, for your heart’s sake!
Asanta you know me better than that! I'm just using it As an expression, and no I didn't have a Epiphany, see angels, relatives or Jesus when I was under anesthesia either. Mein Gott, Mon Dieu whatever. I did sacrifice a goat to Athena though just for luck. ;-) Cap't Jack