Is there any historical information in the narratives of the Passion/Empty Tomb/Resurrection of Jesus?

The only theological malpractice here is taking place by you. I don’t care if the Pantera story is correct or not. Just like I don’t care if the Indians got to North America by land or sea.
Then why bring up Pantera at all? And by my saying the Pantera story is wild speculation, that indicates I believe Jesus was God? How do you get that? I don't care what it is you don't care about, but make some effort to be coherent. I wasn’t trying to say that you believe Jesus is god, if I did, I blew it. What I am saying is, that it is impossible to get out what I really want to say. Because there has not been enough learning by the general public to have any reference to relate to even ask a question. So I try and spoon feed items to see the reactions. I know when I started learning about religion I would have never have agreed or understood the basics that seem so simple and straight forward to me about religion today. I’ll try and post a direct idea and see where it goes. On Ockham post about Jesus’s teachings not dying. Jesus’s religion was Christian Gnosticism. And it got fully created by the second century before the Trinitarian thinking in the third and fourth century. But what we have a geological change from the Egypt influenced area to Turkey. In the second century the Christians in Turkey were trying to understand Jesus and Mary and the Jewish aspects of God. Sort of filling in the missing gaps you might say. This is how I understand it may have happened. To understand what was going on with Jesus’s teachings, one has to look at the political side of Jesus. Jesus change goal directions to become Messiah. Both Jesus and his cousin John the Baptist had the backing of Sejanus. It was a three man race for Messiah by Antipas, Agrippa and Jesus. Jesus was in top place because of his backing by Sejanus. Sejanus was close to the Emperor Tiberius. Sort of the second place in Roman power. Sejanus wanted to become Emperor and was collecting his backers around the empire. Jesus and John backed Sejanus. The political climate of the area was bad. Herod the Great had murdered his own family and a lot of rabbis. After he died the area was ruled by a tetrarchy known as the Herodian Tetrarchy. Herod Antipas wanted to be King of the Jews. Herod Antipas also had the backing of Sejanus. The High Priest Caiaphas was to lose his job to Herod Antipas and or Jesus when Sejanus became Emperor. Basically Juda was going to have two King of the Jews – one political and one religious. John the Baptist wasn’t up to the idea of two Kings, so he was decapitated by Herod Antipas. It wasn’t looking good for Caiaphas. Pontius Pilate was the prefect of the province and wanted nothing to do with the political power grab going on. Emperor Tiberius caught on to what Sejanus was up to and had him killed. Jesus was a political backer of Sejanus and that made his time limited. Caiaphas went after Jesus and got rid of Jesus. Had Sejanus became Emperor, Jesus’s religion would have survived and the old Jewish religion may have been put to bed. As it turned out, Jesus’s Gnostic teachings may have evolved into Valentianian Gnosticism in Egypt at the same time as Christianity was being reworked in Turkey.

Do you have any historical evidence of Caiaphas?

Do you have any historical evidence of Caiaphas?
Yea, I know where you are heading. There is the theory that Caiaphas was appointed by Gratus who was the perfect after Pilate. But the dates and who and when are really muddy. Example when was the crucifixion, 30, 31 or 33? But as of now I will go with main thinking about Caiaphas. The High Priests at that time were Roman appointees. Valerius appointed Caiaphas to the job of High Priest. Valerius was Germanicus’s man. Germanicus died and Sejanus took over and put Pilate in place. Now, Annas was appointed as high priest earlier in the year 6 by Quirinius the Roman governor of Syria. Caiaphas was the son-in-law of Annas. Jesus was given to Caiaphas by Annas. By around (32) Annas had been in retirement. There was no siting governor in Syria at this time. So Pilate was kind of in charge and had to deal with the Jesus political mess going on. Jesus was Sejanus’s man, Sejanus was dead, but things were up in the air politically so Pilate wanted to tread lightly. Pilate washed his hands, but this was a political mess and no high priests want to sit over the trial. Pilate ended up getting a retired high priest out of retirement to preside over Jesus. That priest was Annas. No one in Juda really knew how powerful Jesus’s political connections were in Rome after Sejanus's death and their heads were on the line if they miss judged Jesus’s political connections in Rome. For example, Jesus is arrested, in less than twenty-four hours he is handed over to Annas, then to Caiaphas, then to Pilate, then to Antipas, then back to Caiaphas, then back to Pilate. Talk about a hot potato. As far as historical evidence, I leave that up to the experts, remember this is just one of my hobbies to learn about past history. That said, in John 19:21 the chief priest would have been Caiaphas.
I looked up the Pantera guy, classic Yohe. Something that has absolutely no evidence, a coincidental use of the same name in the same time, but you believe it. It's the kind of evidence that Popes and pastors use, something you seem to be against, except when it's you doing it. I agree that these things spring up, then get forgotten. But that's not what "modern" means, or "historically accurate", or "newly discovered". What you are talking about is religious malpractice. It's the kind of theological sleight of hand that people allow every Sunday. The questioning of the authorship of some of Paul's epistles goes as far back as Eusebius, but a Preacher who wanted to sound liberal would mention it as if he just read it in the latest literature.
Now let’s go out on some thin ice with Mr. Pantera, the base for you “theological malpractice". We have the governor of Syria, which Juda is part of at the time, named Varus. Varus was friends with Sejanus. Sejanus had organized the marriage of Claudia Procula to Pontius Pilate. Claudia Procula was instrumental in Mary Magdalene and Jesus coming to live in the region of Rennes-le-Château. Mr. Pantera was the head of 500 to 1,000 archers and served under Varus in Rome. Mr. Pantera was sent to put down a revolt in Sepphoris. Sepphoris is the home of Anna and Joachim, the parents of the Virgin Mary. You get the picture. http://www.marymagdalenebooks.com/quintillan-the-secret-of-jesus-s-birth

I ask for evidence and I get stories. I don’t know what others think, since they just ignore you, but I’ll tell you, I don’t care about your theories. They are just cobbled together made-up history, based on fragments of rocks and paper with a name here and an unverified date there. They have no place in a skeptic’s forum.

I looked up the Pantera guy, classic Yohe. Something that has absolutely no evidence, a coincidental use of the same name in the same time, but you believe it. It's the kind of evidence that Popes and pastors use, something you seem to be against, except when it's you doing it. I agree that these things spring up, then get forgotten. But that's not what "modern" means, or "historically accurate", or "newly discovered". What you are talking about is religious malpractice. It's the kind of theological sleight of hand that people allow every Sunday. The questioning of the authorship of some of Paul's epistles goes as far back as Eusebius, but a Preacher who wanted to sound liberal would mention it as if he just read it in the latest literature.
Now let’s go out on some thin ice with Mr. Pantera, the base for you “theological malpractice". We have the governor of Syria, which Juda is part of at the time, named Varus. Varus was friends with Sejanus. Sejanus had organized the marriage of Claudia Procula to Pontius Pilate. Claudia Procula was instrumental in Mary Magdalene and Jesus coming to live in the region of Rennes-le-Château. Mr. Pantera was the head of 500 to 1,000 archers and served under Varus in Rome. Mr. Pantera was sent to put down a revolt in Sepphoris. Sepphoris is the home of Anna and Joachim, the parents of the Virgin Mary... And Mary was the name of Kevin Bacon's mother! Wahlah! 6 degrees of separation from Varus to Kevin Bacon!!
Now let’s go out on some thin ice with Mr. Pantera, the base for you “theological malpractice". We have the governor of Syria, which Juda is part of at the time, named Varus. Varus was friends with Sejanus. Sejanus had organized the marriage of Claudia Procula to Pontius Pilate. Claudia Procula was instrumental in Mary Magdalene and Jesus coming to live in the region of Rennes-le-Château. Mr. Pantera was the head of 500 to 1,000 archers and served under Varus in Rome. Mr. Pantera was sent to put down a revolt in Sepphoris. Sepphoris is the home of Anna and Joachim, the parents of the Virgin Mary... And Mary was the name of Kevin Bacon's mother! Wahlah! 6 degrees of separation from Varus to Kevin Bacon!!Hey, didn’t Kevin Bacon lose a lot of money to Bernie Madoff. Most of Madoff investors were Jewish. Did I get your thinking for picking Kevin?
I ask for evidence and I get stories. I don't know what others think, since they just ignore you, but I'll tell you, I don't care about your theories. They are just cobbled together made-up history, based on fragments of rocks and paper with a name here and an unverified date there. They have no place in a skeptic's forum.
See that’s the problem with most religious thinking. You get stuck dealing with the bible. And that just goes in circles. The new findings deal with history as a whole and covers a lot more territory outside of the bible. I don’t know what type of evidence you are expecting. There are books written about what I am talking about. There are people who look for logic and answers and there are people who just sit, judge and complain. If you can’t understand the logic, then just ask. You don’t have make up conclusions. None of what I brought up was my theories. The point being made. Jesus was trying to win the title of messiah. So Jesus would have had to have friends of top Roman power or be a part of the ruling power already in place. Since, he was not part of the ruling family or power, then he had to have connections of power. This is very simple logic. I gave you all the connections and showed you his path to Messiah. It was the death of Sejanus that ruined Jesus’s quest. You come off the wall with Caiaphas. I gave you some of Caiaphas’s connections and his position. I don’t know what more you would be looking for. In post #19 you ask “why bring up Pantera at all?" Pantera was Jesus’s connection to Sejanus, the second most powerful Roman. What was Pantera to Jesus? His father. In post #19, you claimed I was not coherent. I said that I would post the direct idea and see where it goes. I knew that most people are not interested or into the life of Jesus enough to follow the connections. Therefore I was doing this just for you. I did not expect others to respond. In post #17 you questioned the use of name Pantera. Therefore I explained why Pantera is important in the history of religion. Now I question your honesty, were you really interested in Pantera and what theories are available today? Or are you just playing games?
I ask for evidence and I get stories. I don't know what others think, since they just ignore you, but I'll tell you, I don't care about your theories. They are just cobbled together made-up history, based on fragments of rocks and paper with a name here and an unverified date there. They have no place in a skeptic's forum.
Maybe Mike wants to be the next Dan Brown.
Now I question your honesty, were you really interested in Pantera and what theories are available today? Or are you just playing games?
I’m not playing games. I’m telling you that you use unsubstantiated data and then claim you have something. You talk about Pantera being Jesus’ dad as if it is a fact. It’s not. It gets really weird when you use the Bible as a source of facts, then say people “get stuck" dealing with the Bible. I ask about Caiaphas and Pantera as a challenge. I challenge you to come up with evidence for these claims. Personally, I like being challenged, it’s how I grow and adjust my worldview so it is more in line with reality. You like to read books and accept them as factual. Saying “there are books out there" doesn’t mean anything. The book has to have evidence to back up its claim. The book itself is not evidence. As for Jesus, I don’t think we have sufficient evidence to even know he existed. What we do have is teachings. We call them the “teachings of Jesus", but they could be the teachings of Yeshua, or of a group of people. What the teachings say is more important than the man. As an example of how that colors my approach to the Bible read the Luke section in this blog.] ** Edit - added link
Maybe Mike wants to be the next Dan Brown. No that’s not my goal, I couldn’t even if I wanted to, because I do not have those types of skills. I find it interesting that you pick Dan Brown instead of Henry Lincoln, Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh who’s book inspired Dan Brown. I’m not looking for a pat on the back here. Fully aware that I was going to be ignored and that I will be greatly criticized for the posts. Twenty years ago my views about the history of religion was 180 degrees from where they are today. For example when I first heard of people connecting India to Christian ideas and Jesus. I thought they were out of their ever loving minds. I felt that way about all the religious ideas out there that today seem silly to me that it could have happened any other way. I didn’t take the time or had an open enough mind to understand the logic. It took me twenty years and now I appreciate those crazy people who got me thinking about this veiled part of history. I did expect the people on this site to be a lot further along than I was twenty years ago, but I am not seeing that at all.
... Now let’s go out on some thin ice with Mr. Pantera, the base for you “theological malpractice". We have the governor of Syria, which Juda is part of at the time, named Varus. Varus was friends with Sejanus. Sejanus had organized the marriage of Claudia Procula to Pontius Pilate. Claudia Procula was instrumental in Mary Magdalene and Jesus coming to live in the region of Rennes-le-Château. Mr. Pantera was the head of 500 to 1,000 archers and served under Varus in Rome. Mr. Pantera was sent to put down a revolt in Sepphoris. Sepphoris is the home of Anna and Joachim, the parents of the Virgin Mary...
And Mary was the name of Kevin Bacon's mother! Wahlah! 6 degrees of separation from Varus to Kevin Bacon!!
Hey, didn’t Kevin Bacon lose a lot of money to Bernie Madoff. Most of Madoff investors were Jewish. Did I get your thinking for picking Kevin?
No. I was simply poking fun at your tendency to use loose associations to see patterns (but I don't mean that this is always, necessarily, a bad thing). (And I certainly don't mean to infer that I lack respect for your breadth of knowledge.)
To understand what was going on with Jesus’s teachings, one has to look at the political side of Jesus. Jesus change goal directions to become Messiah. Both Jesus and his cousin John the Baptist had the backing of Sejanus. It was a three man race for Messiah by Antipas, Agrippa and Jesus. Jesus was in top place because of his backing by Sejanus. Sejanus was close to the Emperor Tiberius. Sort of the second place in Roman power. Sejanus wanted to become Emperor and was collecting his backers around the empire. Jesus and John backed Sejanus. The political climate of the area was bad. Herod the Great had murdered his own family and a lot of rabbis. After he died the area was ruled by a tetrarchy known as the Herodian Tetrarchy. Herod Antipas wanted to be King of the Jews. Herod Antipas also had the backing of Sejanus. The High Priest Caiaphas was to lose his job to Herod Antipas and or Jesus when Sejanus became Emperor. Basically Juda was going to have two King of the Jews – one political and one religious. John the Baptist wasn’t up to the idea of two Kings, so he was decapitated by Herod Antipas. It wasn’t looking good for Caiaphas. Pontius Pilate was the prefect of the province and wanted nothing to do with the political power grab going on. Emperor Tiberius caught on to what Sejanus was up to and had him killed. Jesus was a political backer of Sejanus and that made his time limited. Caiaphas went after Jesus and got rid of Jesus. Had Sejanus became Emperor, Jesus’s religion would have survived and the old Jewish religion may have been put to bed. As it turned out, Jesus’s Gnostic teachings may have evolved into Valentianian Gnosticism in Egypt at the same time as Christianity was being reworked in Turkey.
Well, your view of Sejanus and Pilate is far too dependent on Philo for me, and he is generally thought of as untrustworthy in this regard. I have no idea where you get your information about Jesus, John and Sejanus backing one another.
... Now let’s go out on some thin ice with Mr. Pantera, the base for you “theological malpractice". We have the governor of Syria, which Juda is part of at the time, named Varus. Varus was friends with Sejanus. Sejanus had organized the marriage of Claudia Procula to Pontius Pilate. Claudia Procula was instrumental in Mary Magdalene and Jesus coming to live in the region of Rennes-le-Château. Mr. Pantera was the head of 500 to 1,000 archers and served under Varus in Rome. Mr. Pantera was sent to put down a revolt in Sepphoris. Sepphoris is the home of Anna and Joachim, the parents of the Virgin Mary...
And Mary was the name of Kevin Bacon's mother! Wahlah! 6 degrees of separation from Varus to Kevin Bacon!!
Hey, didn’t Kevin Bacon lose a lot of money to Bernie Madoff. Most of Madoff investors were Jewish. Did I get your thinking for picking Kevin?
No. I was simply poking fun at your tendency to use loose associations to see patterns (but I don't mean that this is always, necessarily, a bad thing). (And I certainly don't mean to infer that I lack respect for your breadth of knowledge.) Please continue with your comments, I enjoy and they are tone setting.
To understand what was going on with Jesus’s teachings, one has to look at the political side of Jesus. Jesus change goal directions to become Messiah. Both Jesus and his cousin John the Baptist had the backing of Sejanus. It was a three man race for Messiah by Antipas, Agrippa and Jesus. Jesus was in top place because of his backing by Sejanus. Sejanus was close to the Emperor Tiberius. Sort of the second place in Roman power. Sejanus wanted to become Emperor and was collecting his backers around the empire. Jesus and John backed Sejanus. The political climate of the area was bad. Herod the Great had murdered his own family and a lot of rabbis. After he died the area was ruled by a tetrarchy known as the Herodian Tetrarchy. Herod Antipas wanted to be King of the Jews. Herod Antipas also had the backing of Sejanus. The High Priest Caiaphas was to lose his job to Herod Antipas and or Jesus when Sejanus became Emperor. Basically Juda was going to have two King of the Jews – one political and one religious. John the Baptist wasn’t up to the idea of two Kings, so he was decapitated by Herod Antipas. It wasn’t looking good for Caiaphas. Pontius Pilate was the prefect of the province and wanted nothing to do with the political power grab going on. Emperor Tiberius caught on to what Sejanus was up to and had him killed. Jesus was a political backer of Sejanus and that made his time limited. Caiaphas went after Jesus and got rid of Jesus. Had Sejanus became Emperor, Jesus’s religion would have survived and the old Jewish religion may have been put to bed. As it turned out, Jesus’s Gnostic teachings may have evolved into Valentianian Gnosticism in Egypt at the same time as Christianity was being reworked in Turkey.
Well, your view of Sejanus and Pilate is far too dependent on Philo for me, and he is generally thought of as untrustworthy in this regard. I have no idea where you get your information about Jesus, John and Sejanus backing one another.These views came from the new book out called – The Lost Gospel. Sorry for the time delay in response, was called out of town. Sejanus was the de facto ruler of Rome. Seganus is said to be anti-Semite by Philo and Josephus. I think they got that wrong. And this book leans the other direction.
Now I question your honesty, were you really interested in Pantera and what theories are available today? Or are you just playing games?
I’m not playing games. I’m telling you that you use unsubstantiated data and then claim you have something. You talk about Pantera being Jesus’ dad as if it is a fact. It’s not. It gets really weird when you use the Bible as a source of facts, then say people “get stuck" dealing with the Bible. I ask about Caiaphas and Pantera as a challenge. I challenge you to come up with evidence for these claims. Personally, I like being challenged, it’s how I grow and adjust my worldview so it is more in line with reality. You like to read books and accept them as factual. Saying “there are books out there" doesn’t mean anything. The book has to have evidence to back up its claim. The book itself is not evidence. As for Jesus, I don’t think we have sufficient evidence to even know he existed. What we do have is teachings. We call them the “teachings of Jesus", but they could be the teachings of Yeshua, or of a group of people. What the teachings say is more important than the man. As an example of how that colors my approach to the Bible read the Luke section in this blog.] ** Edit - added linkIf would be great if there was a lot more books of history. It would make unraveling the past much easier. Even today political correspondence is quite questionable even as it is happening. Historically political and religion historical facts can be extremely hard if not impossible to locate. Logic and common sense needs to be used upon reading any political communication. The oldest manuscripts we have today of Josephus date from 900-1000 CE. Josephus died in 100 AD. There is the Macarios Monastery manuscript called – A volume of Records of Events Which have Shaped the World. It is a collection of writings. Scribed by a 6th century monk. The writings cover Emperor Constantine and Church history that relates about the person of Christ. It even cover 1st century relics and the story of proof of eternal life. The stories the scribed chose to copy roughly dates to the time as the earliest copies of the Gospels. Basically stories of major political religious events and major religious stories dating back to Jesus. With the exception of one story. This one prevaricate story did not fit in the theme of the tendency of the other stories. The story was a mock to cover up the genuine story hidden within. In 2008 an adjunct professor of religion and a professor specializing in Christianity took on the task of decoding the story. In November, 2014 they published the book called – The Lost Gospel. The story covers Jesus’s life up to a decade prior to the crucifixion. His marriage and children. More than that it gives us a look at the political forces in play with Jesus and Christianly. The best open minded review I could find was in the Times of Israel. The book has been out just over a year now. And it is in the stage of “cautious support for the general thesis." Compared to the same time period with the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi Library this book is being rapidly accepted. As the Nag opened up the ideas that Jesus and early Christianity was Gnostic. This story sheds light on how all the pieces of Christianity fit together with aspects to Jesus and the political standings of his time. The Chronicle of Pseudo-Zacharias Rhetor (the monk) If you are telling me the truth about being challenged, then this whole Jesus scenario is in itself the evidence needed using logic and common sense.

Lausten, could not get the addresses posted in the last post. Got the spam message.

Lausten, could not get the addresses posted in the last post. Got the spam message. www.timesofisrael.com/lost-gospel-depicts-a-married-political-activist-rabbi-jesus/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacharias_Rhetor
If I were to bother to read anything about this book, and I doubt I will bother, I'd read this https://biblicalstudiesonline.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/richard-bauckham-debunks-simcha-jacobovicis-the-lost-gospel/
Lausten, could not get the addresses posted in the last post. Got the spam message. www.timesofisrael.com/lost-gospel-depicts-a-married-political-activist-rabbi-jesus/ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacharias_Rhetor
If I were to bother to read anything about this book, and I doubt I will bother, I'd read this https://biblicalstudiesonline.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/richard-bauckham-debunks-simcha-jacobovicis-the-lost-gospel/ I read your link. Mr. Bauckham’s views on religion, mainly Jesus and John are not anything to brag about with matching the findings of today’s researchers. If Mr. Wilson is correct, then Mr. Bauckham is fundamentally wrong in his writings about John and Jesus role in the foundation of Christianity as Mr. Bauckham puts it. Do you remember when the bone box first came out? Did you agree with Jacobavici’s finding back then? If I were to guess, I would say “NO". In Israel every top expert (over forty) said it was phony, fake, reproduction and a fraud. Eight years later, Israel didn’t want to give the box back because it was one of the greatest archaeological finds in Israel. The box did not change. So, have you ever ask yourself why all the Israeli experts were wrong? I think we have a little of that going on here today with some experts. Myself, I go with the facts. And if the facts change, so does my thinking. To me, this new data makes the completion of the puzzle of Jesus possible, thank god.
If I were to bother to read anything about this book, and I doubt I will bother, I'd read this https://biblicalstudiesonline.wordpress.com/2014/11/27/richard-bauckham-debunks-simcha-jacobovicis-the-lost-gospel/ Eight years later, Israel didn’t want to give the box back because it was one of the greatest archaeological finds in Israel. The box did not change. So, have you ever ask yourself why all the Israeli experts were wrong? Except that didn't happen Mike. Do you think we are all stupid? You make your case by lying. Maybe you think Israel is not allowing others to examine it "because it was one of the greatest archaeological finds in Israel", but that's what you think. What you think does not equal truth. You need to start prefacing every sentence you write with "I think".