I don't get the big deal about Leary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr8jqQcR8TA&t=597s

Personally I think he just made psychedelics out to be more than what they really are. People gas on about how he was ahead of his time and all that but the man was very much of that time, as was much of that hippie philosophy. I’m not even going to get started on their “free your mind nonsense”.

He was a lowlife just like all the figures from the hippie movement. I don’t think he is really held in high regard by many people today because the kind of lifestyle he advocated was clearly bullshit to anyone not on drugs. William Burroughs was in the same league.

I never met the guy.

Looks like he went to Harvard during the time that BF Skinner was the bulwark of the Psychology Dept there. Leary did not conform to Skinner’s insistence that we study the observable external behaviors and relevant contingencies, in organisms, including humans. Leary wanted to explore the internal, 'the mind". He apparently started out doing what looked, originally, like some bona fide research, while he was at Harvard, but then started transitioning to a more party-ish, rather than scientifically studious, lifestyle. I guess he went downhill from there.

Oh, I did meet B.F. Skinner.

It’s Skinner’s daughter (I was not a lab rat) I’d of liked meeting and getting to know a little. Bet she has some good stories to tell.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2004/mar/12/highereducation.uk

It’s the typical “going against the system” stuff and questioning authority. Questioning authority is good, within certain limits that is. Some parts about the self maybe, like how we are products of those who came before us in terms of knowledge and morals.

Thanks CC: for spreading some truth about Burrus Frederick.

Tell us the story, how did you get to meet ol Burrus.

Sorry Snowy, I see little point in discussing Leary - if you weren’t there it’ll never make sense.

About all I say about him is that he took a bit too much of his own medicine. Then he fell in love with himself and lost grip of everything else. It’s pretty common in our society. Just look at the bona fide lunatics controlling our government.

Oh, I just met him at a Conference when I was doing my Master’s program in Psychology (specifically in Applied Behavior Analysis, which is the field that was founded by Skinner and some of his contemporaries).

About all I say about him is that he took a bit too much of his own medicine. Then he fell in love with himself and lost grip of everything else. It’s pretty common in our society. Just look at the bona fide lunatics controlling our government.
Sounds about right with my assessment of the "free your mind" people.
Sounds about right with my assessment of the “free your mind” people.
When you can't make coherent statement, guess all that's left is empty riddles.

Got a problem with my assessment?

Just look at the bona fide lunatics controlling our government.
Can you explain it; or defend the boy-man who's president?

and his team.