How do you explain the rise of atheism/secularism?

I doubt even Sree believes the laughable crap in his last post. It’s almost certainly only there to rile up people and have them respond emotionally so he can sit and be entertained.

Don’t entertain him.

Please, sree, if you do believe in God, ask it to take away your demon of erroneous thinking.
Religion is not about worshipping God. It's about not sleeping with your neighbor's wife, not passing off fake twenty-dollar bills, not having drug-dealers for boyfriends, not shooting members of other gangs, not resisting arrest, and a few other wicked things.
You mean in countries and in populations within countries that are composed mostly of poorly educated persons. Yes religion works well for those who aren’t so good at functional learning and for persons prone to believe LIES that make them comfortable.
Not necessarily. We are well educated and excel in a few narrow fields but our overall intelligence is debatable. There is also no evidence that the correlation between higher education and atheism/secularism exists outside of W.E.I.R.D. populations.
not having drug-dealers for boyfriends -- Sree
That's a good one. I assume you are referring to Breonna Taylor's ex-boyfriend. So what you want is a world where if you turn your life around, push out the bad people from life, get a good job, pay your rent, go to bed early so you can work hard the next day, then cops can shoot you in your sleep. Well, I do want to die in my sleep, but that's not what I had in mind.
There is also no evidence that the correlation between higher education and atheism/secularism exists outside of W.E.I.R.D. populations.
A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I can see how the W.E.I.R.D. moniker would draw your attention as some pop psychology that you can twist into supporting your preconceived notions.

https://slate.com/technology/2013/05/weird-psychology-social-science-researchers-rely-too-much-on-western-college-students.html

Western, Educated, Industrial, Rich, Democratic populations. Those studies overwhelmingly have college students as subjects in the United States participating in studies for class credit. So over-generalized conclusions based on the studies of college kids to everyone else, is a fundamental problem.

IOW you effectively are generalizing from young college students as if they represent our entire Western, Educated, Industrial, Rich, Democratic society. (Personally, I was naive as a college student when it came to religion.)

We are well educated and excel in a few narrow fields but our overall intelligence is debatable.
Well IQ and education ARE 2 different things. But the various aspects that make up IQ, include some aspects (e.g., Crystalized Intelligence) that are enhanced by education.

But anyway high education does not necessarily mean one will be secular. LIE-Believers such as Christians, who have been conditioned to believe the LIES of their religion can get educated and remain religious.

https://www.pewforum.org/2017/04/26/in-america-does-more-education-equal-less-religion/

Still overall adults with a college education are less religious.

Then there are the poorest nations who happen to have the most religiosity.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/142727/religiosity-highest-world-poorest-nations.aspx

Religion is not about worshipping God. It’s about not sleeping with your neighbor’s wife, not passing off fake twenty-dollar bills, not having drug-dealers for boyfriends, not shooting members of other gangs, not resisting arrest, and a few other wicked things.
Your religion seems to be about continually coming up with trollish comments. I mean, really. You are just poking for a response.

@sree

Religion is not about worshipping God.

Really? You don’t say? Then how do you explain the first 4 Commandment?

Ten Commandments list 1. You shall have no other gods before Me. 2. You shall make no idols. 3. You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain. 4. Keep the Sabbath day holy.

More detailed:

Ten Commandments: King James Version God's Law, the Ten Commandments, is expressed in Exodus 20:2-17 (KJV) with the following:

“I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Seems like it is about worshipping God too. YOu got the seventh one, but nowhere in the Bile does it talk about drug addict boyfriends.

If you need a link, because I can’t put the Bile on the forum: Ten Commandments List | Bibleinfo.com

As for education, there has been a few studies (I think timb listed one, but I haven’t read it yet) done in which if one has more education, the lower the religiosity and if one has less education, the higher the religiosity.

Still overall adults with a college education are less religious.
This is not true. The less religious a person is, the less committed they are to a life of order and responsibility. 80% of US adults across the board are married and have kids. They live a religious life. The less religious are in the streets protesting against one thing or another.
Then there are the poorest nations who happen to have the most religiosity.
Gallup conducts its polling interviews on landlines and cellphones. Who are they talking to in Somaliland?

If the poor are most religious, why are there more criminals among the poor in America’s inner cities?

@sree

This is not true. The less religious a person is, the less committed they are to a life of order and responsibility. 80% of US adults across the board are married and have kids. They live a religious life. The less religious are in the streets protesting against one thing or another.

ROFL! OMG! No. You have no idea of reality. I don’t think you even know any Black people, because if you did, you’d be surprised how many are religious and that many see church as community. 80% of U.S. adults maybe married and have kids, but that doesn’t mean they are religious and those who aren’t it doesn’t mean they don’t have order or take responsibility. What is true, statistic wise, the more educated you are, the less likely one will be religious.

From the link above:

Looking at the U.S. public as a whole, however, the answer to the question of whether more education is correlated with less religion appears to be yes. Among all U.S. adults, college graduates are considerably less likely than those who have less education to say religion is “very important” in their lives: Fewer than half of college graduates (46%) say this, compared with nearly six-in-ten of those with no more than a high school education (58%).

Highly educated Americans also are less inclined than others to say they believe in God with absolute certainty and to pray on a daily basis. And, when asked about their religious identity, college graduates are more likely than others to describe themselves as atheists or agnostics (11% of college grads vs. 4% of U.S. adults with a high school education or less).

Religious belief and societal health. Short and sweet summary: Less religion is better.

https://www.skeptic.com/reading_room/religious-belief-and-societal-health/

All of this is why the religious authorities fight against people getting an education, especially science. The more a person knows, the less likely they will be religious and if they study evolution… They fight tooth and nail against evolution, because they don’t want their flock to be educated because it leads to less belief.

If the poor are most religious, why are there more criminals among the poor in America’s inner cities?

– Sree

I’m not going to comment on this, I just thought it was worth quoting.

@sree believe it or not, criminals believe in God too. In fact, more people in prisons believe than not. They get out and often do it again. Most are Protestants and almost none are atheists:

In fact, more often than not, those incarcerated with sex crimes are religious. Something about the denial of sex seems to appear to cause more deviant sexual behaviour, not less. It’s like being on a diet where you can’t eat anything except salads. One will snap and go on a binge. That’s what religion does to people- can’t have sex, unless one is married unless you are a priest in the Catholic Church, then you can’t have any at all. How many women and children do you think many (an there is a lot) priests have raped? This doesn’t mean that atheists don’t have deviant behaviours, but the stats are lower than those who are religious. Religion doesn’t make one less violent.

Despite the last one having a pay wall, you can still see this statement, as well as a little more:

The religious affiliation of inmates in the United States, the country with most prisoners per head globally, is reasonably similar to the religious affiliations of the society overall. That said, the proportion of non-religious inmates and those declining to express their religious affiliation is smaller than the overall proportion. In contrast the number of Muslim inmates is disproportionately large in comparison with wider society. As a result a sizable share of prison chaplains identity as Muslim, catering to the preferences of the Muslim prison population.

That’s probably a lot of reading for you, but as you can see, stat wise, there are just as many Xians in prison as out of prison (percentage wise).

All of this is why the religious authorities fight against people getting an education, especially science. The more a person knows, the less likely they will be religious and if they study evolution… They fight tooth and nail against evolution, because they don’t want their flock to be educated because it leads to less belief.
Do you realize that the educated class is the clergy? They are the ones who founded schools and universities to bring education to the rest of society all over the world including the US. Almost every Ivy League university was established primarily to train ministers of the gospel. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

They are the ones who founded schools and universities – Sree

I really don’t know if you believe that or not. It’s a common trope. It’s easily found lacking with just a cursory review of history. The early European universities were run by the Catholic Church because they owned everything and shared power with the King as they had done throughout the Dark Ages to maintain that power. See “Condemnations of 1277”. More recently, fundamentalists had to start their own seminaries because the regular ones taught the actual history of how the Bible was assembled. They don’t come out and tell them not to preach the old myths, but the scholars in those schools were honest enough to preach the truth. Of course, they have no control once people leave the schools, and church leadership continues to keep that hush-hush. See John Shelby Spong, I think it’s in “Jesus for the Non-Religious”

@sree

Do you realize that the educated class is the clergy?

Yes. They always have been, but they never wanted the vulgar masses to be educated. Thus why the stain glass pictures on churches- they told a story to those who couldn’t read. Once people started to become educated, the clergy had to find another way to control the vulgar.

Ah, yes, @Lausten. My favourite Episcopal priest. Here’s a good on for @sree to watch, since he doesn’t/won’t read:

Yes. They always have been, but they never wanted the vulgar masses to be educated.
You will be burned in Hell for saying this. Christian missionaries have been persecuted and killed for working with the sick, the poor, and the uneducated. Schools, hospitals, leposariums in South America, Asia, Africa, places no one would go.

@sree

You will be burned in Hell for saying this.

ROFLMAO! Good! I won’t be cold. You obviously didn’t watch Bishop Spong’s video above. Hell is the invention of the Church to control people. The Church doesn’t want people to grow up because you cannot control grown up. So, I will not be burning in hell, but thanks for the thought though because I really hate being cold. The thing is, Xian missionaries don’t actually educate people. The people they “educate” do not learn real science, such as Evolution. They learn that the Bible is true, historically, geographically, biographically, but it is not accurate in any of that. Many missionaries also teach the Bible is scientifically accurate too, but it is not. It is far from being accurate in anything. I agree with Robert M. Price, if there ever was a Jesus that lived, you will not find him in the Bible nor will you find him the inaccurate pictures of most churches. The stories about Jesus in the Bible are as accurate as George Washington and the Cherry Tree.

believe it or not, criminals believe in God too. In fact, more people in prisons believe than not. They get out and often do it again. Most are Protestants and almost none are atheists:

Religious affiliation of inmates in U.S. prisons, 2011 | Statista

I suspect the high religiousness of inmates is because most are black, and blacks are more religious than any other group in America.

It would be interesting to see religious beliefs of inmates broken down by race and then by the crime committed.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I can see how the W.E.I.R.D. moniker would draw your attention as some pop psychology that you can twist into supporting your preconceived notions.

Western, Educated, Industrial, Rich, Democratic populations. Those studies overwhelmingly have college students as subjects in the United States participating in studies for class credit. So over-generalized conclusions based on the studies of college kids to everyone else, is a fundamental problem.

IOW you effectively are generalizing from young college students as if they represent our entire Western, Educated, Industrial, Rich, Democratic society. (Personally, I was naive as a college student when it came to religion.)

It isn’t a problem to study W.E.I.R.D. students in order to generalize about ourselves, it’s only a problem to think they can tell us about non-W.E.I.R.D. populations.

They can’t.

Researchers already know the rest of the world is psychologically different from us.

It would be interesting to see religious beliefs of inmates broken down by race and then by the crime committed.
Do you think Charles Manson was Christian or atheist?