Fundamental Question for Progressives

I think the fundamental question for Progressives is this: How do you defeat a well-funded mob of bullies who operate in lockstep with each other and who operate according to an Ends Justify the Means morality? Moreover, how do you do that when you yourself find it morally repugnant to engage in the same tactics that are, in the end, extremely effective?

I think the fundamental question for Progressives is this: How do you defeat a well-funded mob of bullies who operate in lockstep with each other and who operate according to an Ends Justify the Means morality? Moreover, how do you do that when you yourself find it morally repugnant to engage in the same tactics that are, in the end, extremely effective?
I guess we have to hold our noses and fight fire with fire. LL

This is what I’m talking about: http://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2014/11/dems-duped-caucus-room-conspiracy
Repubs implemented a strategy that you might argue literally harmed people. But Ends Justified The Means for them and they stuck to their strategy with great success.

This is what I'm talking about: http://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2014/11/dems-duped-caucus-room-conspiracy Repubs implemented a strategy that you might argue literally harmed people. But Ends Justified The Means for them and they stuck to their strategy with great success.
I can't say the meeting doesn't sound a bit conspiratorial, but the case as laid out as far as what the GOP did the last few years and the way the Dems dropped the ball in this election was very accurate from what observed. This will sound crazy, but I suspect that the Dems had some kind of crazy scheme that they would just give the GOP the next two years to let them throughly hang themselves. After all, the Dems are basically throwing Obama under the bus, to bide their time till 2016. We are about to view the GOP primaries that are likely to be a repeat of the 2012 expose of the ugly side of the far right faithful, as the GOP candidates pander to their base and provide all the amo needed and more to insure 2016 will be huge a win for Hillary and the Democratic Party. It is also important that many of the new GOP senators are tea party extremists that are guaranteed to take Boehner for the ride of his life. Read this article from Politico. Very interesting reading. http://www.politico.com/magazine/?ml=m_pm#.VFxZnYhOKrV
This is what I'm talking about: http://www.thomhartmann.com/blog/2014/11/dems-duped-caucus-room-conspiracy Repubs implemented a strategy that you might argue literally harmed people. But Ends Justified The Means for them and they stuck to their strategy with great success.
Am I missing something? Where is the "engage in the same tactics" part? Politics is often about obstructing and back room deals, but not so consistently as the Republicans have done in the last 6 years. And I've heard of this meeting before, so I'm pretty sure it's true, and not so hidden as this article suggests. The strategy he suggests is the strategy that Republicans used successfully post-Nixon; get consistent with your message and express it constantly. That got Reagan in, but Reaganomics failed, so consistency was exposed as pig-headedness. But now pig-headedness is winning, I can't quite explain that. Anyway, part of the Democrats problem is, they don't believe in being a pack of bullies, they accept disagreement within their party. I see this as an important modern value, many people don't. There are some things that you can do that are justified even though they go against your core principles, like using violence to prevent violence because you're against violence. But I don't think you could sell, "stop thinking for yourself, let us do it for you" from a progressive standpoint. There's actually a book about this. See, The Guardian, democrats-gop-plot-obstruct-obama It was also discussed on a Frontline titled "Inside Obama's Presidency"

My point was, Repubs/Conservatives are willing to engage in tactics that no progressive ever would. And in another thread there was mention of Denialists and how to deal with them because facts and truth don’t seem to matter, i.e. things progressives value. So how do we deal with well financed, ends-justify-the-means, bullies?

Goad them on and keep their behavior front and center for the public. They’ll cook their own goose.