Duke will now have a weekly Islamic call to prayer on Campus

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/duke-muslim-prayer-safi_n_6479824.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592
I will applaud their move toward inclusivity as soon as they also include a weekly Campus broadcast by atheists on the non-existence of deities. Satanists, Wiccans, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Hindus, Church of Monday Night Football, Spaghetti-Monster deity worshippers, Confucianists, etc., etc., etc. should get in on the action, as well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/15/duke-muslim-prayer-safi_n_6479824.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592 I will applaud their move toward inclusivity as soon as they also include a weekly Campus broadcast by atheists on the non-existence of deities. Satanists, Wiccans, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Hindus, Church of Monday Night Football, Spaghetti-Monster deity worshippers, Confucianists, etc., etc., etc. should get in on the action, as well.
Indeed, yes. Lois

By time I heard about this, they had already backtracked. There is an update link on the article you provided. Seems like they caved in to Christian pressure. I think that is worse than doing the call itself. It is another case of the bullies getting their way. I don’t have a problem with the call at all, it is a cultural, it is not a call to violence, Islam is a major religion, I really don’t see a problem. Atheists state their non-participation by not doing anything, they should continue doing that.

By time I heard about this, they had already backtracked. There is an update link on the article you provided. Seems like they caved in to Christian pressure. I think that is worse than doing the call itself. It is another case of the bullies getting their way. I don't have a problem with the call at all, it is a cultural, it is not a call to violence, Islam is a major religion, I really don't see a problem. Atheists state their non-participation by not doing anything, they should continue doing that.
I think that they only backtracked, re: the particular building that it will be broadcast from. Atheist, and non-Christian, and non-Muslim students will be exposed to the religious broadcast of the Muslim call to prayer, as well as the on-going traditional Christian bell ringing for service. The call to prayer is purportedly being added as a measure of inclusivity. Don't they want to include atheist and other non-Christian, and non-Muslim students? Are you suggesting that atheist students should not have any passion about their dis-belief? They may never threaten violence for perceived insults. And they are quite likely, more rational than other students, but that doesn't mean they don't have feelings, too.

The call to prayer will now be done on the quadrangle outside the chapel, rather than from the chapel bell tower, as they had originally announced. 700 of the 15000 students at Duke are Muslim. So perhaps they are promoting religions by the number of students that claim a particular faith. I bet that as many as a few thousand claim no particular religion. How should that group be honored?
Perhaps a call to video games, or pop music?

Are you suggesting that atheist students should not have any passion about their dis-belief? They may never threaten violence for perceived insults. And they are quite likely, more rational than other students, but that doesn't mean they don't have feelings, too.
You can be as passionate as you want, but I'm passionate about those big ugly purses women are carrying these days, I don't go around snatching them or covering them with towels so I don't have to look a them. Atheism should not be offended by cultural expression. Or even if an atheist is, it does not give them the right to suppress that expression. Duke is not promoting religion by doing this.

Oops, double posted

Are you suggesting that atheist students should not have any passion about their dis-belief? They may never threaten violence for perceived insults. And they are quite likely, more rational than other students, but that doesn't mean they don't have feelings, too.
You can be as passionate as you want, but I'm passionate about those big ugly purses women are carrying these days, I don't go around snatching them or covering them with towels so I don't have to look a them. Atheism should not be offended by cultural expression. Or even if an atheist is, it does not give them the right to suppress that expression. Duke is not promoting religion by doing this. What Duke says they are doing is being inclusive of students of different faiths. (Though I wonder about their timing. It could, alternatively, be viewed as appeasement, coming right after the worldwide attention on the Muslim terrorists murders in the Charlie incident.) I didn't suggest that Duke should suppress Muslim expression of faith. I suggested that Duke be equitable, in regards to their students of different faiths, and non-faith.
The call to prayer will now be done on the quadrangle outside the chapel, rather than from the chapel bell tower, as they had originally announced. 700 of the 15000 students at Duke are Muslim. So perhaps they are promoting religions by the number of students that claim a particular faith. I bet that as many as a few thousand claim no particular religion. How should that group be honored? Perhaps a call to video games, or pop music?
Forget the video games, how about a call to attend classes? Then they could learn critical thinking skills, religious history, higher math, philosophy and astrophysics and become atheists. Then they could join the "few thousand" (hopefully) of their fellow students who have no belief system. Cap't Jack
What Duke says they are doing is being inclusive of students of different faiths. (Though I wonder about their timing. It could, alternatively, be viewed as appeasement, coming right after the worldwide attention on the Muslim terrorists murders in the Charlie incident.) I didn't suggest that Duke should suppress Muslim expression of faith. I suggested that Duke be equitable, in regards to their students of different faiths, and non-faith.
I realize there is some gray area here. I personally would not feel infringed in any way if I heard a call to prayer once a week. I don't see a legal problem, but I'm not a lawyer. There is no forcing of anything, only that you have to hear something. It's the same as seeing a cross. Which is the same as seeing a Victoria's Secret commercial. My state university had a chapel, not a problem. Atheists don't have such traditions, so there just isn't any equivalent need for accommodation. If they wanted to hold an "atheist pride" rally, I suppose they could do that.
What Duke says they are doing is being inclusive of students of different faiths. (Though I wonder about their timing. It could, alternatively, be viewed as appeasement, coming right after the worldwide attention on the Muslim terrorists murders in the Charlie incident.) I didn't suggest that Duke should suppress Muslim expression of faith. I suggested that Duke be equitable, in regards to their students of different faiths, and non-faith.
I realize there is some gray area here. I personally would not feel infringed in any way if I heard a call to prayer once a week. I don't see a legal problem, but I'm not a lawyer. There is no forcing of anything, only that you have to hear something. It's the same as seeing a cross. Which is the same as seeing a Victoria's Secret commercial. My state university had a chapel, not a problem. Atheists don't have such traditions, so there just isn't any equivalent need for accommodation. If they wanted to hold an "atheist pride" rally, I suppose they could do that. In the light of recent world events, and reactions to it, with members of faith demanding to establish societal rules for everyone, perhaps atheists should become more organized and establish traditions, so as not be left out of the mix of getting what to say is appropriate and acceptable behavior, in regards to religious rights (which atheists have for establishment clause purposes). But again, my comment in this thread was not to say that any religious expression should be suppressed. I was claiming that the University's claim of doing this to be "inclusive" should be equitable. But I suppose that your argument is that everything that is not religious expression is already secular, and thus, non-religious students are already experiencing everything else, that is not religious, and are thus being treated equitably. That is a decent point. So that just leaves the University needing to be equitable for all other students of all of the other varying faiths, by including their expressions, as well.

That is what I was saying about atheists, or non-Christians or non-Muslims. And I have not addressed Buddhists at all, or any other group with traditions that might feel left out. Anything I can think of to say will come across as utilitarian or worse. Guess I need to think about some more.

Well, maybe they do allow other groups to perform rituals in their public quadrangle, but just don’t yet have a weekly University directed ritual like the Christian Church bells ringing or the Muslim call to prayer.
And young assertive atheists with a bent toward organizing do exist. I don’t know if they exist at Duke.