Defining the American way

Just came across this and seems a great one line description of where were at,

"American systems of cutthroat capitalism and bare-bones social welfare programs would be a frightening prospect."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/17/opinions/greenland-has-long-been-a-bargaining-chip-between-the-us-and-denmark-rosengaard

How would you define the American Way?

Argue about everything and if you can’t win with logic, shoot them or just quietly go back to the lab and write a paper no one will read. We are the country with the statue of liberty and the big fence. We’re the place where Wyatt Erp made you leave your guns with him while you were in town, but now people claim the right to walk around with an AK47 based on an idealized image of those times. We’re pretty confused. We have great libraries, but we spend more on gum.

I would like Barack Obama to take this one. Barry, if you’re listening, what do you say to the question, “What is the American Way”?

Maybe it came to me in a dream.

Barry said “What makes us American, is not a question of what we look like, or where our names come from, or the way we pray. What makes us American, is our fidelity to a set of ideals—that all of us are created equal; that all of us deserve the chance to make of our lives what we will; that all of us share an obligation to stand up, speak out, and secure our most cherished values for the next generation.”

Or something like that, you know, dreams are difficult to remember.

But man, that Barry Obama, was somethin’ else. I wonder whatever happened to him.

me too