Cultural Appropriation

When we upgrade, we’ll have like buttons. Mrmhead would have got one from me on this thread

He thought right said fred was American??

Ha ha ha

@djtexas

You mean like America imposes its shit culture on others?

Please watch the language. You did it twice in this thread.

When we upgrade, we’ll have like buttons. Mrmhead would have got one from me on this thread
I like like buttons

Not accurate. American pop culture is well liked around the world. America imposes its politics on the rest of the world and that causes resentment of anything American to some people.

Not accurate. American pop culture is well liked around the world. America imposes its politics on the rest of the world and that causes resentment of anything American to some people.

This is why I see people on this forum as boxed in their thinking. If you really want to promote truth and logic, then why don’t any here care to call his bs out? Yeah, I get the possibility that he’s probably a troll, but time and again I see bad posts being made by the fan favorites without any scrutiny from any other CFI member? To be honest, it sucks. Something’s changed a great deal since first I had come to this forum. People were just different back then.

People were just different back then.
You are right, that was before Trump came into public life. Where Trump walks, things die. Good manners was the very first thing to go.

Remember; “You grab em by the pussy, and they let you”, that was before he became president. It got worse every day : 30573 lies over 4 years.

And 25% of the population just adores him. You are right, people were different back then, they were civilized.

without any scrutiny from any other CFI member -- mitch
There is no judgment about what members say, only how they say it. If you have a theory about Bigfoot, post it, then be prepared to defend. If you don't like the politics of the people here, I suppose that would suck, but it's a big internet. Moderation can't change the politics. I'm not here (when I'm acting as moderator) to create a bubble chamber, I'm here to keep the place welcoming and discussion flowing freely.

It’s not your job to get people to think any certain way either. Stick to defending your points and do a lot less name-calling when someone disagrees. We’ll all be happier, including you.

This is why I see people on this forum as boxed in their thinking. If you really want to promote truth and logic, then why don’t any here care to call his bs out? Yeah, I get the possibility that he’s probably a troll, but time and again I see bad posts being made by the fan favorites without any scrutiny from any other CFI member? To be honest, it sucks. Something’s changed a great deal since first I had come to this forum. People were just different back then.
This is not really an intelligent forum anymore. 5 years ago was a different story.

@Mrmhead

Like any common consultant knows, the correct answer is always It Depends.

If the appropriation is for exploitation – just for money, fame, etc – then, Yes it is wrong.

If it’s simply for interest or admiration, “Imitation is the best compliment” … or something like that.

Something in between? It depends.

I have a summer outfit in wax, tailored and sewn by an African seamstress, living in France. It is very inspired by African designs and it is very cool to wear when a heat weave hit Europe. Is it cultural appropriation? I don’t give a damn, she is happy of her work, i am happy to wear it and that’s what matters. both profit of the exchange.

Incidentally, i love pizzas, couscous, rice, sauerkraut, and many dishes from around the world, and i like to share a good bottle of French wine with friends from Africa.

Now, except when some one is abusing it for profit, not merely using it for profit, cultural appropriation is just a melting of cultures and ideas.

And so called woke people have no idea about what they are talking about.

Yoga as practiced in West has only a very distant relationship with original yoga. It has been created by Indian yogis specifically for western people, as a form of physical exercise.

Disabled people in Ottawa university have been deprived of a very useful yoga class, under the cover of a critic of cultural appropriation.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/university-ottawa-yoga-cultural-sensitivity-1.3330441

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoga#Modern_revival

In fact, the world is open, and every one borrows to other cultures and some use what they borrow to create greatness.

Have not the greatest African or black american writers used the tools conceived by European writers, poets or philosophers or other scientists, to fight oppression ?

There is no judgment about what members say, only how they say it. If you have a theory about Bigfoot, post it, then be prepared to defend. If you don’t like the politics of the people here, I suppose that would suck, but it’s a big internet. Moderation can’t change the politics. I’m not here (when I’m acting as moderator) to create a bubble chamber, I’m here to keep the place welcoming and discussion flowing freely.

It’s not your job to get people to think any certain way either. Stick to defending your points and do a lot less name-calling when someone disagrees. We’ll all be happier, including you.

So much we agree on and so many others we both disagree, so it’s only fair that I give you my opinion on this topic. I’ll break down what you said, not as an insult, but as a means for you to understand my perspective. I think it’s only fair that I ask that you consider each point made without knee-jerk judgment on me.

There is no judgment about what members say, only how they say it.
There is always both when a person talks and how they say it. I agree with you about the way you make an argument, but there is also the bias people hold against what you are arguing. This holds true today as it did in the past. People judge each other all the time whether they agree or disagree. To think otherwise is bad thinking. Even when you read a post of someone with whom you always agree, you always hold back your thoughts of agreeing or not. Challenging them on their arguments makes you and the person with whom you disagree stronger as you both have challenged each other's thinking. It's only when we become complacent with each other's beliefs and comfortable with our own, that we become weak.
If you have a theory about Bigfoot, post it, then be prepared to defend. If you don’t like the politics of the people here, I suppose that would suck, but it’s a big internet.
Yeah, but I don't agree with the politics of China as Mriana had caught on much earlier to my surprise. It's the idea of any organized group that gains power. "So you don't like it? Go somewhere else." To me, it reeks of command and control for anyone who does not conform to the group agenda, and it's what the left has become to this day.
Moderation can’t change the politics. I’m not here (when I’m acting as moderator) to create a bubble chamber, I’m here to keep the place welcoming and discussion flowing freely.
I don't want to say this because you'll hate me for it. What you're asking for (IMO) is a circle jerk. The worst thing every you could end up with within ANY discussion group is a place where all like "hive" minds agree. I've seen many times over the hive mind of both leftists and the right stroking the bad ideas of the members of those they admire and never want to offend. I get the rationale, but I can never subscribe myself to it as I have pissed off many of those who assumed I'd be knee-jerk agree with them. Needless to say, I have few friends.