"Cranky Uncle vs. Climate Change"

@ibelieveinlogic You do know the dotard has had the facts on Climate Change edited into false and misleading info? He did this almost as fast as he got into office. Nothing on the government website is factual now. Most .gov sites are only the world according to the dotard, so we can, until he is thrown out of office in January and we get a real president who puts out accurate info and not misinformation, we can only take any site that ends with .gov as well as other sites that follow and support the dotard with a grain of salt. Not saying all .gov info is false, but we have to be careful that the dotard hasn’t forced them to take down facts and put up misinformation.

That said though, you also cannot take a paragraph out of context, which you have also done.

It’s better to take it all in context. NASA, despite being .gov is still monitoring global temperature.

So bob your president can say anything, crude or dishonest don’t matter, oh but better not call victims of brainwashing, brainwashed.

How about if I simply state you are dialoguing in Bad Faith? Is that politically correct enough for you?

You see from your words, it seems to me you have no interest in absorbing what the other side is explaining - creating confusion and irritation is the only game you seem to be interested in.

I’ve noticed you won’t engage the discussion itself, instead you toss out one childish diversion after another. As for constructive, good faith dialogue, that you seem to have zero interest in. How can I say such a judgmental thing? Okay, lets review.

I shared a review of a nice gentle book about the science of climate change and communicating with contrarians along with a review of the fundamental facts. What was your response?

LogicBob: Would you prefer that we go deeper into the current ice age?
Excuse me but that certainly sounds like a know-nothing arse-hole heckling from the bleacher section - oh but lefties aren't allowed to slap-back at bullies, that's only the Republican's prerogative.

The game is that it’s true in a very technical geophysical hair splitting manner that we could call today an ice age because we possess a cryosphere, which incidentally has a lot to do current conducive global weather pattern. What enrages me to the point of pounding my fist through the table - is the idiotic arrogant know-nothing implication that we can do without our current ice caps, so losing them is no big deal.

Then Bob/logic (do we really have people here using two monikers ? Or do we have two Bobs?) brings up some graph about the Holocene, that graph actually ends in the '60, if not '50 - long long time ago when it comes to our atmosphere!!! Bet he didn’t even notice the little 2016 on the right side of the graph. So I see an act of pure fraud, since the implication every time that graph is waved around, is that thing haven’t changed.

Further upset is trigger by the utter lack of interest in understanding those fluctuations, which are very well understood. Or the deliberate avoidance of the bottomline reality that while CO2 is our planet’s atmospheric insulation regulator there are other factors that work together to produce the temperatures being experience on our varied Earth at any one time. But all those factors are ignored - ergo, is logicBob being deliberately malicious as can be, or simply another sheople who drank too much of the Reaganomic/murdoch/koch/trump KoolAid, and wound up brainwashed by the fantastic disinformation campaign of the past decades.

CC: Was that supposed to be sarcasm?

LogicBob: No, just an attempt to look past the current tendency towards hysteria.

Here L/B is implying John Cook’s book is hysteria, but he don’t possess the knowledge, nor the moral backbone, or intellectual integrity, to support his assertions, with a few specifics we could examine.

Implications and tossing shit at the wall is all you’ve provided. And of course the wet noodle democrats have been bowing down to it and play by the Republican script, so you expect everyone to accept it. With another resounding fist slammed through another table, NO! - you are deliberately feeding people malicious deception and yes I’ll scream about it, if the mood strikes me.

CC: you folks really make me wonder if you have any conception of what “trends” are

LogicBob: One man’s trend is another man’s short term deviation. Maybe.

Another utterly contemptuous piece of empty-headed diversion. The trend to be aware of is CO2 since the start of humanity’s industrial revolution! Why? Because of the PHYSICS, plain and simple! All the playing with minuscule variations in temperature records are of third rank importance to understanding climate science, but contrarians are dependent on focusing on trivial pursuits, making mountains out of molehills of self-delusion - while steadfast rejecting constructive learning.

Why not try to actually discuss climate science before getting all sensitive and hurt feeling when I call bullshit on your deliberate distortion and misrepresentation of the facts?

I had more, but Maddy tells me she’s been patient enough. See ya.

Why limit the data we look at?
I didn't say to limit anything. I said to look at the data that is meaningful. If you are fine with the end of civilization as we know it, then fine, we'll get back to 3 million years ago, just like when homo sapiens didn't exist. If you want to know when most of the major cities we have built will be underwater, you need to look at the more recent trends.

Again, quote mining doesn’t have much effect on me, and I’m not going to look those up and help you understand them in context. The second one is almost exactly what I said anyway.

Here’s a gentle kind look at what the future holds. Remember there is a good deal of uncertainty, this was put together by government officials with rose tinted spectacles, so you can bet that the uncertainty will all leaning towards the “bad and worse” outcomes.

What are the long-term effects of climate change?

Scientists have predicted that long-term effects of climate change will include a decrease in sea ice and an increase in permafrost thawing, an increase in heat waves and heavy precipitation, and decreased water resources in semi-arid regions.

Below are some of the regional impacts of global change forecast by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change:

North America: Decreasing snowpack in the western mountains; 5-20 percent increase in yields of rain-fed agriculture in some regions; increased frequency, intensity and duration of heat waves in cities that currently experience them.
Latin America: Gradual replacement of tropical forest by savannah in eastern Amazonia; risk of significant biodiversity loss through species extinction in many tropical areas; significant changes in water availability for human consumption, agriculture and energy generation.
Europe: Increased risk of inland flash floods; more frequent coastal flooding and increased erosion from storms and sea level rise; glacial retreat in mountainous areas; reduced snow cover and winter tourism; extensive species losses; reductions of crop productivity in southern Europe.
Africa: By 2020, between 75 and 250 million people are projected to be exposed to increased water stress; yields from rain-fed agriculture could be reduced by up to 50 percent in some regions by 2020; agricultural production, including access to food, may be severely compromised.
Asia: Freshwater availability projected to decrease in Central, South, East and Southeast Asia by the 2050s; coastal areas will be at risk due to increased flooding; death rate from disease associated with floods and droughts expected to rise in some regions.

And then it gets really ugly. :frowning:

FYI, making it real. Handy reference guide, for easy linking all you need to do is figure out what needs to be replaced with a dot. :wink:

Global temperatures on track for 3-5 degree rise by 2100: U.N.

Tom Miles; Editing by Kevin Liffey, NOVEMBER 29, 2018

reuters _ com/article/us-climate-change-un/global-temperatures-on-track-for-3-5-degree-rise-by-2100-u-n-idUSKCN1NY186

<strong>Why a half-degree temperature rise is a big deal</strong>

By Bob Silberg, June 29, 2016, NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory

climate.nasa _ gov/news/2458/why-a-half-degree-temperature-rise-is-a-big-deal/

The impacts of climate change at 1.5C, 2C and beyond

interactive.carbonbrief _ org/impacts-climate-change-one-point-five-degrees-two-degrees

Carbon Brief has extracted data from around 70 peer-reviewed climate studies to show how global warming is projected to affect the world and its regions.

Scroll down to see how these impacts vary at different temperature levels, across a range of key metrics. Click on the icons below to skip to specific categories and regions.

<strong>A Degree of Concern: Why Global Temperatures Matter</strong>

By Alan Buis,  NASA's Global Climate Change Website

climate.nasa _ gov/news/2865/a-degree-of-concern-why-global-temperatures-matter/

Global Warming Prediction Sounds Alarm for Climate Fight

By Laura Millan Lombrana, December 3, 2019,

bloomberg _ com/news/articles/2019-12-03/global-temperature-headed-toward-5-degree-increase-wmo-says

<strong>Impacts of a 4°C global warming</strong>

greenfacts _ org/en/impacts-global-warming/l-2/index _ htm

&nbsp;</blockquote>

A correction in sloppy writing:

... Or the deliberate avoidance of the bottomline reality that while CO2 is our planet’s atmospheric insulation regulator there are other factors that work together to produce the temperature fluctuations being experience on our varied Earth at any one time. ...
the dotard has had the facts on Climate Change edited ... Nothing on the government website is factual now. Most .gov sites are only the world according to the dotard
Wow.
before getting all sensitive and hurt feeling
No, just checking on whether there's a double standard.
I said to look at the data that is meaningful.
Meaningful short term deviations in the context of meaningful long term trends might seem meaningful to some.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/fact-or-fiction-runaway-greenhouse/

Measurements of 56-million-year-old sedimentary rocks have revealed an event during the mid-Cenozoic era called the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) in which a millennia-scale pulse of greenhouse gases warmed the globe. The PETM pulse seems to have been roughly equivalent to what humans could release through burning all recoverable fossil fuels, and may have warmed the planet in excess of 10 degrees Celsius, but clearly no catastrophic runaway occurred, for otherwise we would not now be here. If it didn’t happen then, many researchers suggest, it won’t happen now from a similar, anthropogenic spike of greenhouse gas.

Stupid stupid thoughtless person, where do they all come from? Bob, didn’t you comprehend a single thing from that article???

scientificamerican _ com/article/fact-or-fiction-runaway-greenhouse/

Measurements of 56-million-year-old sedimentary rocks have revealed an event during the mid-Cenozoic era called the Paleocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM) in which a millennia-scale pulse of greenhouse gases warmed the globe. The PETM pulse seems to have been roughly equivalent to what humans could release through burning all recoverable fossil fuels, and may have warmed the planet in excess of 10 degrees Celsius, but clearly no catastrophic runaway occurred, for otherwise we would not now be here. If it didn’t happen then, many researchers suggest, it won’t happen now from a similar, anthropogenic spike of greenhouse gas.

Okay so lets get this straight Big Bob or LogicBob or whoever you are - you’re gloating about the Earth recovered from the PETM Extinction Event - and telling folks that mean we have nothing to worry about today??? What is the matter with you???

We are discussing dangers to our human society and human kind - and you come in here with a straight face and an innocent conscience telling everyone DON’T WORRY ABOUT IT, EVEN THE PETM WAS INCAPABLE OF ELIMINATING ALL OF LIFE ON EARTH - WHAT ARE YOU TREE HUGGERS WORRIED ABOUT!

This is exactly what pissed me off, your thoughts (of course NOT you personally, just your self-delusional thinking process and those words delivered with such idiotic cocky self-certainty) are so stupid, so totally uninformed and ill-considered and disconnected from physical reality it’s unbelievable and yes maddening in the extreme. I mean god gave you brain didn’t he??? It’s there for more than holding your ears apart!

Those stupid words make clear he doesn’t have the first conception of deep time and that 6,000 years is the no different than 6 million or 60 million or 600 million, in that vacationing mind. Why can I say that? Here’s a hint

How long did it take for the warming of the PETM to unfold? "The exact age and duration of the event is uncertain but it is estimated to have occurred around 55.5 million years ago. The associated period of massive carbon release into the atmosphere has been estimated to have lasted from 20,000 to 50,000 years. The entire warm period lasted for about 200,000 years."
Does that mean anything to you???

Maddy begging for her walk so gotta cut short - but for those curious enough, who still possess a modicum of intellectual integrity and respect for honesty curiosity and learning, here’s some parting thoughts:

Lessons from a previous global warming event The PETM took place at a point in Earth's development when the climate was very different than today. It's important to stress that none of the preceding discussion implies that direct and complete comparisons can be made between the Earth climate of today, and the Earth climate of 56 million years ago. Much has changed since then, such as the layout of the continents, and the development of major mountain chains such at the Himalayas and Andes, the growth of major ice sheets, major cooling of the deep ocean and the poles, slight warming of the Sun, and changing Earth-Sun orbital characteristics, all of which greatly alter global circulations and therefore climate.

But now that we humans have embarked on a global warming experiment, there are some useful lessons from the past:

The rapid pulse of PETM CO2 followed by rapid warming (figure 2e) indicates high climate sensitivity.
CO2 does indeed appear to have a long atmospheric lifetime.
Ocean acidification (of the deep sea at least) can occur even under conditions of CO2release much slower than today.
Present acidification of the ocean is far greater than the PETM, and is probably unprecedented in the last 65 million years.
Whether the plants and animals upon which humans depend can survive the present rapidly changing environment remains to be seen.

Recommended reading: Sks post - Wakening The Kraken ( skepticalscience - com/Wakening_the_Kraken - html_ )

source: CO2 Currently Rising Faster Than The PETM Extinction Event

FYI:

New study: We’re outpacing the most radical climate event we know of
Lots of carbon got dumped into the atmosphere 56 million years ago.
JOHN TIMMER - 8/30/2017

arstechnica _ com/science/2017/08/new-study-were-outpacing-the-most-radical-climate-event-we-know-of/

"the dotard has had the facts on Climate Change edited … Nothing on the government website is factual now. Most .gov sites are only the world according to the dotard" Bob scintillating response: Wow.
On the one hand, I think the first sentence is a bit extreme - On the other hand, Bob response is ludicrous and must be seen in the light of coming from someone incapable of recognizing our president for who he is, a lying con artist who knows nothing of world affairs, his personal self-aggrandizement is as for as trumps intellect goes.

Who is feeding you this stuff Bob? You are cherry picking from the best cherries. You can’t just be finding these randomly

Okay time for a last one for the road - The masters of rightwing opinion want to trivialize the PETM in order to trivialize what we are doing to ourselves today. Lest I start destroying yet another table or two :wink: , I’ll stick to the science and trends:

Long-term legacy of massive carbon input to the Earth system: Anthropocene versus Eocene Richard E. Zeebe and James C. Zachos Published:28 October 2013 https://doi.org/10.1098/rsta.2012.0006

royalsocietypublishing _ org/doi/full/10.1098/rsta.2012.0006

Abstract
Over the next few centuries, with unabated emissions of anthropogenic carbon dioxide (CO2), a total of 5000 Pg C may enter the atmosphere, causing CO2 concentrations to rise to approximately 2000 ppmv, global temperature to warm by more than 8°C and surface ocean pH to decline by approximately 0.7 units.

A carbon release of this magnitude is unprecedented during the past 56 million years—and the outcome accordingly difficult to predict.

In this regard, the geological record may provide foresight to how the Earth system will respond in the future.

Here, we discuss the long-term legacy of massive carbon release into the Earth’s surface reservoirs, comparing the Anthropocene with a past analogue, the Palaeocene–Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM, approx. 56 Ma).

We examine the natural processes and time scales of CO2 neutralization that determine the atmospheric lifetime of CO2 in response to carbon release.

We compare the duration of carbon release during the Anthropocene versus PETM and the ensuing effects on ocean acidification and marine calcifying organisms. We also discuss the conundrum that the observed duration of the PETM appears to be much longer than predicted by models that use first-order assumptions. Finally, we comment on past and future mass extinctions and recovery times of biotic diversity.

1. Introduction
    Since the beginning of the industrial era, anthropogenic emissions of carbon dioxide (CO2) from fossil fuel burning and, to a lesser extent, land-use change and cement manufacturing have increased the concentration of CO2 in the Earth’s atmosphere by approximately 40%. The combined fossil fuel and cement emissions reached a record high in 2010 of 9.1 Pg C yr−1 (1 Pg=1015 g) [1], higher than predicted 20 years ago under business-as-usual scenarios for the year 2010 (8.7 Pg C yr−1, IS92a scenario) [2]. …

Lets talk about trends and which trends to pay attention to, this one hot off the press:
Earth may be 140 years away from reaching carbon levels not seen in 56 million years Date: February 20, 2019 Source: American Geophysical Union

Summary:
Total human carbon dioxide emissions could match those of Earth’s last major greenhouse warming event in fewer than five generations, new research finds. A new study finds humans are pumping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere at a rate nine to 10 times higher than the greenhouse gas was emitted during the Paleocene-Eocene Thermal Maximum (PETM), a global warming event that occurred roughly 56 million years ago. …

sciencedaily _ com/releases/2019/02/190220112221.htm

Tale of two climate crises gives clues to the present Date: September 24, 2019 Source: Geological Society of America

Summary:
Figuring out what lies ahead for our species and our planet is one of the most pressing and challenging tasks for climate scientists. While models are very useful, there is nothing quite like Earth’s history to reveal details about how oceans, animals, and plants respond to and recover from a warming world.

Journal Reference:

Philip D. Gingerich. Temporal Scaling of Carbon Emission and Accumulation Rates: Modern Anthropogenic Emissions Compared to Estimates of PETM-Onset Accumulation. Paleoceanography and Paleoclimatology, 2019; DOI: 10.1029/2018PA003379

sciencedaily_com/releases/2019/09/190924125040.htm

okay not so hot, yeh, 2020, I know, know.

Who is feeding you this stuff Bob? You are cherry picking from the best cherries. You can’t just be finding these randomly
I have been interested in geology and climate since childhood. They have been my minor hobbies for decades. The Earth is a very dynamic system. Many don't seem to have given that fact much consideration. The earth has experienced, and still is experiencing, many cycles of land configuration, atmospheric composition, volcanic activity, glaciation, temperature, extinction and near extinction events. We have evidence of short term cycles within long term cycles going back millions of years.

The “best cherries”, as you put it, show me that we have had much greater deviations from trends over history than those of the last 2000 years. I see no need to panic. Change is happening. I accept it will be dramatic over the longer term but also slow enough to allow us to adjust to it. We are not going to stop climate change. To do that in one or two or three generations I think we would have to disrupt civilization beyond our capacity to adjust to the required changes.

What we can do and where we can spend our resources most effectively is to prepare for the results of global warming. I think we need to work out what we will do to live successfully with continuing sea level rise, the continuing desertification of semi-tropical regions, increasing temperatures in the tropics and near both poles.

We will, for example, have to deal with migrations of millions away from low-lying coastal areas and the financial problems of people having to abandon billions of dollars of what is now prime coastal real estate. We will need to address the issue of those millions settling on what is now productive agricultural land. These problems, and many others, will be with us regardless of what we try to do to stop climate change.

Bob, so none of the facts I shared made a dent? Nor will you challenge anything specific I share. Really, its truly is like trying to reason with someone who’s gone down the autism road.

Oh and yes I’ll venture given the utter cluelessness that your words reflect, that you are a liar when you say you’ve spent your life studying nature, because it would be impossible for your words to reflect such utter, such total ignorance as your words reflect.

Dear gentle reader, please notice how LogicBob talks about a 2,000 year trend - yet can’t bring himself to acknowledge the CO2 trend that started mid-1800 and that makes all the difference on Earth.

But don’t take my word for it:

One for the road:

What do ancient eclipse records kept by Babylonian, Chinese, Arabic and Greek scholars, and fish tanks, built by wealthy Romans during100BC-100AD, contribute to our understanding of modern climate change? Dr. Jerry X. Mitrovica will describe the important role these archaeological treasures have played in the understanding of sea-level rise and how they help scientists both "fingerprint" sources of recent sea level changes and make more accurate projections of future sea levels.

Jerry X. Mitrovica, Ph.D., is a Professor of Geophysics in the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard University, a Fellow of the American Geophysical Union, and the Director of the Earth Systems Evolution Program of the Canadian Institute for Advanced Research. A 2007 Guggenheim Foundation Fellow, he is also the recipient of the Rutherford Memorial Medal from the Royal Society of Canada and the Augustus Love Medal from the European Geosciences Union.

I accept it will be dramatic over the longer term but also slow enough to allow us to adjust to it. -- Bob
I guess you didn't have time to read about history while you were studying volcanoes and junk. I think you said something like 1,000 years for the changes to occur? Which is way longer than anything I've heard, except for that one time, you know, 5 million years ago. So, yeah, all the big buildings we see were built in the 100 years or so, but it took a lot longer to establish the nations for those cities. Much of that was based on where the good harbors are, where the good rivers are, where the good farming is. And we established those things believing the land would be more or less the same for 100s of years to come. We are going to have to completely rethink that idea. Droughts and famines that last a year or two have collapsed empires. The amount of change you are referring is on a scale that we have never experienced.
acknowledge the CO2 trend that started mid-1800 and that makes all the difference on Earth.
Changing CO2 levels have always been the cause of short term climate change. I have never denied this. CO2 levels over history have been much higher than they are today. Surely you cannot deny that. The recent increase in CO2 levels has been primarily due to human actions. I have never denied this. Where this leaves us is that we must acknowledge that climate change is happening and will continue to happen. I think we all agree on that.

In one of the links I posted the author stated that even if we were to burn up all the fossil fuels on Earth we could not come close to causing a runaway greenhouse effect. Surely we can all agree that, while climate change will be uncomfortable and will require major adjustments, we are not going to cause our own extinction by burning fossil fuels.

I don’t see what your point is. I have seen you make no proposal to do anything. I expect we will not give up burning fossil fuels any time soon. There are no reasonable alternatives for transportation without disrupting society as we know it. Giving up fossil fuels in the short term is a prime example of the cure being worse than the problem.

We can hope electric cars and trucks will become viable soon, but I think the problems that will bring with it are not known. Have we discovered enough lithium to make even a fraction of the batteries needed? Will we be willing to build the 100 or 200 nuke power plants that would be required just in the US? What will we do with the waste from the mining and manufacture of lithium? Can we recycle and/or dispose of the batteries safely? There are similar questions for solar energy production, storage and distribution. I’ve only scratched the surface here.

We can hope these questions will be addressed satisfactorily but I suspect it won’t happen soon. Meanwhile climate change will continue and may accelerate. As Lausten posted:

And we established those things [nations and cities] believing the land would be more or less the same for 100s of years to come. We are going to have to completely rethink that idea. ... The amount of change you are referring to is on a scale that we have never experienced.
My point is we need to address at least rising sea levels and population migration because we will have to live with it for the foreseeable future regardless of what we do or don't do about rising CO2 levels.

Quoting cc: “acknowledge the CO2 trend that started mid-1800 and that makes all the difference on Earth.”

logicbob - “Changing CO2 levels have always been the cause of short term climate change. I have never denied this.”

Cc: No, instead you trivialize it to meaningless nothing to be disregarded - that is every bit as contemptible and dishonest and outright denying it!

It’s just as bad as unidirectional ‘skepticism’.

logicbob - “CO2 levels over history have been much higher than they are today. Surely you cannot deny that.”

Cc: That’s insane. History goes back a few thousand years!

Earth’s evolution goes back millions and billions of years.

Recalling periods in Earth’s deep geologic past is nothing but dishonest diversion away from the reality of the numbers and the physics that we are dealing with today.

It’s not like you ever examine those ancient eons of very high CO2 levels to understand why they were so high or to understand the ways in which those ancient periods are significantly different from today world and sun.

Worst you deliberately don’t want to learn about it.

Imbecilic diversions is all you are offering.

logicbob - “The recent increase in CO2 levels has been primarily due to human actions. I have never denied this.”

Cc: Of course you are denying it! Your glib disingenuous bit of lip service not withstanding.

By never examining what our CO2 reality means in actual physical terms. That is, considering how much we are injecting into our atmosphere and what the results of that increasing atmospheric insulation medium means, so far as cascading consequences.

You haven’t familiarized yourself with any of that, but still you gotta do the Republican chest thumping with causal thoughtless self-certainty.

logicbob - “Where this leaves us is that we must acknowledge that climate change is happening and will continue to happen. I think we all agree on that.”

Cc: Another indication of amazing disconnected from Physical Reality (or back to plain dishonest?) - anyone, who’s ever spent the slightest time looking into evolution appreciates that Earth’s climate is/will always fluctuate.

Logic, you ever think about the well understood “history” and evolutionary paleoclimate lesson, which is that every major climate change in Earth’s history has significantly damaged, if not destroyed the biosphere in existence at the time.

Why doesn’t Logic ever consider the amazing climate optimum of the past ten thousands and what a gift of Earth it was?

Something to be nurtured and hung onto as long as possible, for our children’s sake. Why? Because people who actually study and think about these things, understand that our society is dependent on this “climate optimum” and that as soon as we deviate from it a bunch, Earth and weather would become increasing hostile to all our demands upon her landscapes and oceans.

Logicbob claims to have studied nature, well, then why no appreciation for the folds within folds of nature’s complexity and interdependences?

Why are we willfully forcing our climate system into realms that will not sustain human society and then after a few more decades may in good probably make all complex life impossible. Bringing Earth’s evolution right back to basics, much like all the other major climate changes in Earth’s Evolution.

Of course, in the end it’s all the blink of an eye so Logic, what’s a few years, a few decades, a few millennia, or millions of years - none of it makes an impression - it’s all the same.

logicbob - “In one of the links I posted the author stated that even if we were to burn up all the fossil fuels on Earth we could not come close to causing a runaway greenhouse effect. Surely we can all agree that,"

Cc: Agree on what? That Earth’s oceans won’t boil away and turn us into Venus??? Great is that supposed to be some kind of victory for us??? Don’t you appreciate that even the most conservative learned guesses at the impacts of 2°C warming.

Now the estimate range from 3-5°C, to 7°C in a 2018 Presidential report. That’s not runaway warming, but it’ll extinct us.

What’s in the world do you think your sources are telling you logicBob, can you explain the rationale at work here - is it possible?

I’m worried about us rearranging all those webs that run through our biosphere, that took millions of years (built upon the previous 50 millions years) to achieve humanity’s past nine, ten millennia of climate optimum. The thing that nurtured human society during our history of global conquest.

logicbob - “while climate change will be uncomfortable and will require major adjustments, we are not going to cause our own extinction by burning fossil fuels.”

Cc: “Uncomfortable”? That line makes me wish you were in front of me so I could bitch slap some sense into you (with those rolled up scientific papers you keep ignoring).

Unfortunately, the trends say something very, very, terrifyingly different. Observation support the fears that rapid change is gaining momentum. Blinding oneself to those trends does not make them disappear. We’re living in a material world don’t you know!

logicbob - “I don’t see what your point is. I have seen you make no proposal to do anything. I expect we will not give up burning fossil fuels any time soon. There are no reasonable alternatives for transportation without disrupting society as we know it. Giving up fossil fuels in the short term is a prime example of the cure being worse than the problem."

Cc: I’ve made plenty of proposals.

> Starts with honestly learning about this planet that created and sustains us!

> That is followed with a bit less self-serving greed.

> Followed by a genuine appreciation for the difference between our mindscapes and physical reality - plus drawing obvious conclusions from that.

>> Followed by a public dialogue that demands honesty, where constructive learning is the goal, and deliberately maliciously misrepresenting and slandering scientists is considered a crime.

We really did have the future of the world in our hands during the ‘60s, ‘70s, ‘80s - even after squandering those precious decades, slowing things down during the early 2000s would have helped to moderate initial impacts and buy us time to deal with the developing situation.

Instead, corporate masters of the universe convinced us to go peddle to the metal,. They geared up the brainwashing machine and slowly torn apart and burn up the fabric of America’s “Social Contract” with itself and humanity.

logicbob - “We can hope electric cars and trucks will become viable soon, but I think the problems that will bring with it are not known. Have we discovered enough lithium to make even a fraction of the batteries needed? Will we be willing to build the 100 or 200 nuke power plants that would be required just in the US? What will we do with the waste from the mining and manufacture of lithium? Can we recycle and/or dispose of the batteries safely? There are similar questions for solar energy production, storage and distribution. I’ve only scratched the surface here.”

Cc: What the hell does that have to do with the geophysics unfolding upon our planet?

Crawl out of that Republican Mindscape that’s trapped youz all within your collective EGOs and childish trivia such as your electric cars - crack that shell and refocus on the actual physical world out here, the ultimate entity, the one that doesn’t really care about your expectations and assumptions.

Earth and evolution does what it does and plays by simple, but absolutely binding rules.

Sadly, I bet not a bit of that makes a bit of sense within your head. Wish I could convey what a bummer that is Bob."

logicbob - “We can hope these questions will be addressed satisfactorily but I suspect it won’t happen soon. Meanwhile climate change will continue and may accelerate.”

Cc: “may”? Love that one. “May”, even scientists are way the hell too fond of it. Everyone seems terrified of being honest and using “WILL” happen.

If I put on a few extra sweaters on nice warm day, I “may” get too warm working outside.

Of course, I “may” go and hide in the shade doing nothing.

Ergo extra sweater “may” make you warmer or not.

As opposed to you’re damned straight you silly goose, those extra sweaters WILL warm you up and Earth WILL continue warming for a long long long time.

Hopefully it doesn’t turn into that runaway, probably not.

That gives us Earth Centrists with an appreciation for deep time and the awareness that Earth does recover from extreme disruptions and life keeps on coming up with amazing creatures and biomes. Even if it’s take tens of thousands, if not hundreds and perhaps millions of years to recover from the cascading consequences of humanity’s imperative to consume Earth fast as possible. It offers us a little bit of spiritual comfort in ugly days.

But Bob, you can be sure we won’t be building any more nuclear power plants - we’re entering the age of rear actions and tactical retreats, new realities to cope with, while ever more heat and upheaval builds up.

Thanks Bob, the logic man for doing your part in helping ensure worst possible outcomes."

logicbob - “My point is we need to address at least rising sea levels and population migration because we will have to live with it for the foreseeable future regardless of what we do or don’t do about rising CO2 levels.”

Cc: My point is you don’t have the first clue what rising sea levels really means for us and our way of life. Migrating peoples is the f’n least of it! Not that I don’t appreciate that will be hideous enough in itself, but … there’s so much more going on yet you can’t think past spoon fed cartoons.

So, according to you we will solve the problems of global warming by learning, being less greedy and appreciating the difference between our mindscapes and physical reality.

All that will probably do as much good as giving everyone high-water boots.

No you silly, that is how we could have averted this disaster - it’s how we could have mitigated and made the adjustments needed to better prepare and to moderate impacts. Instead we did nothing when it mattered.

If you actually understood a thing or two about Earth system and global warming, you would understand a little term referred to as ‘lag-time’. Scientists have estimated that our climate system has about a three decade lag-time. Meaning roughly that we are feeling the impacts of our actions up to thirty freaking years ago - . . . . . (I’ll just let you puzzle about that little bit of our manmade global warming status. )

You’re brain is driven by the bias born of your EGO and tunnel vision.

We are at stage three cancer, so you talking about how to heal us back go good health is ass backwards - this is the stage where you’d be better off simply focusing on ‘getting your house in order’ and enjoying the time left.

We are way the hell past a solution and that malignant malicious imbecilic vicious monster man-boy President is only making sure we continue making all the worry choices.

BOB, CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW.

I can well imagine you’ll come up with some cutizie response,

but I also know it’ll be the parroting of empty lip-flapping from some insane right wing conspiracy fabrication factory, that holds truth and honesty in complete contempt. The way I see you doing all the time with your imbecilic pronouncements that ignore the real physical reality unfolding upon this planet.