Boy Scouts of America must believe in a god, any god.

Boy Scouts of America must believe in a god, any god. It doesn’t really matter which one, just as long as you believe in one.
“The Boy Scout Handbook goes on to explain that “A Scout is Reverent” simply means that “A Scout is reverent towards God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others.” Buddhists, followers of Native American religions, Muslims, Jews, Christians of all denominations, and many others, including those who define their own spirituality, can be and are members of the BSA. The BSA recognizes religious awards for over 38 faith groups including Baha’i, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Hinduism, and 28 varieties of Christianity.[15] Boy Scouts of America–approved religious emblems exist for most religions”
Only atheists and agnostics need not apply.
Your thoughts?

Will The Flying Spaghetti Monster or The Invisible Pink Unicorn do?

Sure, just as long as you call them god.

Well, I call Zeus a god, etc. So…

Yea, I know. It’s not my rule. It’s theirs.

Holy FSM!!

I use this as an excuse to not buy merchandise the Boy Scouts peddle. Occasionally I’ll explain to the scout and parent that I’m an atheist and will not give money to an organization that does not accept me.

I use this as an excuse to not buy merchandise the Boy Scouts peddle. Occasionally I'll explain to the scout and parent that I'm an atheist and will not give money to an organization that does not accept me.
You could do the same for the girl scouts when they try to sell you cookies. Explain to them that you are a male and will not give money to an organization that does not accept you. :)
Boy Scouts of America must believe in a god, any god. It doesn’t really matter which one, just as long as you believe in one. “The Boy Scout Handbook goes on to explain that “A Scout is Reverent" simply means that “A Scout is reverent towards God. He is faithful in his religious duties. He respects the beliefs of others." Buddhists, followers of Native American religions, Muslims, Jews, Christians of all denominations, and many others, including those who define their own spirituality, can be and are members of the BSA. The BSA recognizes religious awards for over 38 faith groups including Baha’i, Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Hinduism, and 28 varieties of Christianity.[15] Boy Scouts of America–approved religious emblems exist for most religions"
My how the handbook has changed over the last 50+years. I joined the souts in 1957, my father was a scout leader and my mother was a den leader, and although my den, pack and later troop was sponsored by the local Presbytarian church, no one gave a rat's ass about religious dogma; we were in it for the camping and outdoor skills. Our camp was built by the CCC and we stayed in log cabins. We hiked, camped out ate army surplus C rations (sans cigarettes) and our leaders were all World War II veterans. Those survival skills are still with me today. Point being, it was a great organization to learn practical skills and have fun outdoors, not in front of a tv screen killing imaginary zombies. But that was in the 50's. If the souts or any other organization wants to survive then they must alter their rules with the times. Drop the specific allusions to Baden-Powell's concept of god and incude any kid wanting to enjoy learning outdoor skills. Otherwise, be discarded as anachronistic and die. A person doesn't have to be reverent to camp and have fun. Cap't Jack

I imagine that’s much how the group still is for most of its members. More about camping and building rabbit snares and whatnot.

I use this as an excuse to not buy merchandise the Boy Scouts peddle. Occasionally I'll explain to the scout and parent that I'm an atheist and will not give money to an organization that does not accept me.
You could do the same for the girl scouts when they try to sell you cookies. Explain to them that you are a male and will not give money to an organization that does not accept you. :) That would be a big mistake. The Girl Scouts, unlike the Boy Scouts, is a very tolerant, accepting, positive organization. Yes it is for girls only, though men can in fact be troop leaders. But to not buy their cookies because they won't accept you because you're a boy is like refusing to buy anything at the Battery Store because they refuse to sell food.
You could do the same for the girl scouts when they try to sell you cookies. Explain to them that you are a male and will not give money to an organization that does not accept you. :) That would be a big mistake. The Girl Scouts, unlike the Boy Scouts, is a very tolerant, accepting, positive organization. Yes it is for girls only, though men can in fact be troop leaders. But to not buy their cookies because they won't accept you because you're a boy is like refusing to buy anything at the Battery Store because they refuse to sell food. LOL! I know. I was joking. Girls scouts allow gays and atheists.

I figured you were joking.

I don’t buy their cookies because last time I looked, they were made with trans fats.
I went to only one Boy Scout meeting in about 1942, and the main topic of conversation seemed to be about how, by tearing a hole in one’s pants pocket one could play pocket pool. I was young, innocent and apalled so I never went back.
Occam

I love their cookies. I don’t care if they’re bad for me. Thin Mints are magic. Delicious, Satan-made magic.

I love their cookies. I don't care if they're bad for me. Thin Mints are magic. Delicious, Satan-made magic.
I buy a case every year.. :red: It's for a good cause...really! It IS!! That's the only way I would suffer through eating....a whole case of thin mints...every year...

I wonder if they would accept Spinoza’s “god”?

You could do the same for the girl scouts when they try to sell you cookies. Explain to them that you are a male and will not give money to an organization that does not accept you. :) That would be a big mistake. The Girl Scouts, unlike the Boy Scouts, is a very tolerant, accepting, positive organization. Yes it is for girls only, though men can in fact be troop leaders. But to not buy their cookies because they won't accept you because you're a boy is like refusing to buy anything at the Battery Store because they refuse to sell food. LOL! I know. I was joking. Girls scouts allow gays and atheists. And men. "Membership is what you make it. Pitch in your expertise or build a skill you've always wanted to develop. Speak any foreign languages? Dabble in Web design? Your Girl Scout council needs your talent! You can spend an hour, a day, or more, depending on your schedule. We're looking for members who believe in girls and volunteers who represent the diversity of the world we live in—women, men, young adults, senior citizens, people of all racial and ethnic backgrounds, and of course our treasured Alumnae." http://www.girlscouts.org/join/adults.asp Girl Scouts have been ahead of the pack for most of its existence. The Girl Scouts' organization is nothing like Boy Scouts' Organization. BSA has a lot to learn from the Girl Scouts. Trouble is they're still pushing male supremacy which is why they're whithering away.
Girl Scouts have been ahead of the pack for most of its existence. The Girl Scouts' organization is nothing like Boy Scouts' Organization. BSA has a lot to learn from the Girl Scouts. Trouble is they're still pushing male supremacy which is why they're whithering away.
The Boy Scouts allows women, but not girls; just like the Girl scouts allows men, but not boys.
Girl Scouts have been ahead of the pack for most of its existence. The Girl Scouts' organization is nothing like Boy Scouts' Organization. BSA has a lot to learn from the Girl Scouts. Trouble is they're still pushing male supremacy which is why they're whithering away.
The Boy Scouts allows women, but not girls; just like the Girl scouts allows men, but not boys. No, the Girl Scouts have allowed boys to join. Not many do, but they have.