Atheist Libertarians Are Part of America's 1 Percent Problem

By CJ Werleman
Thinking Ron Paul is a genius because he’s anti-war and anti-drug law is like thinking a Big Mac is good for you because it has lettuce and a pickle.'Ultimately, atheist libertarians are not part of the solution; atheist libertarians are part of the problem.
Atheists who embrace libertarianism often do so because they believe a governing body represents the same kind of constructed authority they’ve escaped from in regards to religion. This makes sense if one is talking about a totalitarian regime, but our Jeffersonian democracy, despite its quirky flaws, is government by the people for the people, and it was the federal government that essentially built the great American middle-class, the envy of the world.
Ultimately, atheist libertarians are not part of the solution; atheist libertarians are part of the problem.
http://www.alternet.org/belief/why-atheist-libertarians-are-part-americas-1-problem

Its a bit off topic ( not entirely) but I am the midst of listening to one of the great courses called “a Skeptics Guide to American History” and the professor makes the point that Jefferson did not believe America should be a democracy but rather a republic. He and many of the founders were fearful of democracy because they felt it would result in mob rule and a tyranny of the masses. This is why the public does not elect the president, the electoral college does and in the beginning the public did not elect their senators either, the state legislatures did.

Why would anyone who is in power want democracy? Both MLK and Gandhi wanted rights for their people but both treated women (women close to them) as any other man in power, that is, as sex objects–not a moral judgment, just a statement. And the same for Jefferson and his slave mistress; yeah, let’s show England how every man is born equal, but let’s keep those rules away from Monticello. And that goes for all those people who want the best education for poor and black children but will make sure their own kids stay away from such schools as far as possible. No, it’s not hypocrisy, it’s all calculated masquerade. We all do it.

Its a bit off topic ( not entirely) but I am the midst of listening to one of the great courses called "a Skeptics Guide to American History" and the professor makes the point that Jefferson did not believe America should be a democracy but rather a republic. He and many of the founders were fearful of democracy because they felt it would result in mob rule and a tyranny of the masses. This is why the public does not elect the president, the electoral college does and in the beginning the public did not elect their senators either, the state legislatures did.
They were wrong to say "Jefferson did not believe America should be a democracy but rather a republic". A democracy and a republic are not two different forms of government. A republic is a form of democracy, just not a direct democracy. "Democracy. That form of government in which the sovereign power resides in and is exercised by the whole body of free citizens directly or indirectly through a system of representation, as distinguished from a monarchy, aristocracy, or oligarchy. [NOTE: In a pure democracy, 51% beats 49%. In other words, the minority has no rights. The minority only has those privileges granted by the dictatorship of the majority.]" http://www.1215.org/lawnotes/lawnotes/repvsdem.htm That was one of the main reasons the founding fathers, including Jefferson, decided on a republic rather than a direct democracy. A republic is no less a democracy than a direct democracy. It is simply a different way of forming a democratic government. Lois

Why does their atheism matter? Shouldn’t the title be “Libertarians are part of Americas one percent problem.”

Why does their atheism matter? Shouldn't the title be "Libertarians are part of Americas one percent problem."
Yes, but he was addressing an atheist audience. He said, "By people I mean atheists, because for some stupid reason, far too many of my non-believer brethren have hitched their wagon to the daftest of all socio-economic theories." The whole article is available on the link http://www.alternet.org/belief/why-atheist-libertarians-are-part-americas-1-problem Lois

Seems to me one of the problems with “libertarians” is that they haven’t noticed the world has filled up with people.
I say this because they seem to have this mindset that the whole world is still a wide open frontier.

Seems to me one of the problems with "libertarians" is that they haven't noticed the world has filled up with people. I say this because they seem to have this mindset that the whole world is still a wide open frontier.
Yes that's one of their problems. Their economic view is also simplistuc and unworkable in anything but an unsophisticated society, IMO. Lois

I’m mostly a Libertarian in social matters, and undecided on economic matters. I can’t agree with the article.

This country hasn’t been anything but a capitalist oligarchy with visible/hidden ties back to England/Europe since the beginning. That’s not my opinion…its a fact.
History books tell us about pilgrims and escape from religious persecution but right in amongst them was the seeds of our real future. The principalities and powers that rule the world are now coming to light as prophesied. Its sounds like conspiracy …because…well…that’s what it is. Duh Their are laws against it so why do people use the term conspiracy pejoratively now days.

This country hasn't been anything but a capitalist oligarchy with visible/hidden ties back to England/Europe since the beginning. That's not my opinion...its a fact.
IDK about the ties with Europe, but I completely agree about the capitalist oligarchy being dominant.

We started out that way, but the country was slowly moving toward a real representative democracy until about thirty or forty years ago when many of the laws protecting citizens from the oligarchs were quietly gutted. At this point we are a plutarchracy, and it’s going to take some very painful steps if we hope to get back on track toward true representative democracy.
Occam