An anomaly in satellites' flybys confounds scientists

An anomaly in satellites' flybys confounds scientists http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140919110526.htm September 19, 2014 Since the beginnings of space exploration, many spacecrafts have gone into a hyperbolic orbit around planets or moons, with the aim of taking advantage of their gravitational energy and go towards their target. However, during this flyby manoeuvre, 'something' makes the scientists' theoretical calculations to not meet and the speed of the probes deviates from that expected. … Thus, when the Galileo space probe flew over Earth in 1990, an unexpected increase of 4 millimetres per second was detected, as was a similar decrease when it took the same flyby in 1992. Also in 1998, a speed of 13 mm/s above estimates was observed in the spacecraft NEAR, and similar anomalies were repeated in the flybys of Cassini in 1999 (-2 mm/s), and those of the Messenger and Rosetta probes in 2005, with +0.02 mm/s and +1.82 mm/s respectively, the latter arriving just this year at the comet it was directed towards.. ...
OK I looked it up and the Galileo space probe travels at approximately 48.2694444 kilometers per second and they can measure variations of 4 millimetres per second - that's like 00.000004 kilometer per second sure, sure, guess it makes sense. Still amazing :gulp:
OK I looked it up and the Galileo space probe travels at approximately 48.2694444 kilometers per second and they can measure variations of 4 millimetres per second - that's like 00.000004 kilometer per second sure, sure, guess it makes sense. Still amazing :gulp:
But in 11.5 days it would be 4 kilometers from where they expect it to be. psik
But in 11.5 days it would be 4 kilometers from where they expect it to be. psik… and it will have traveled how far in that time? :-/ Still if you're going to put it that way - get your point. 8-/ I Yea goes to show that the compounding interesting thing is big. And sure it makes sense, even in simple construction it's amazing the difference a couple lousy degrees can make in a hurry. It still boggles my mind.