2D Universe?

What do you think about the Holographic Universe (whole information of the universe on 2d Surface) researched by Craig Hogan, Leonard Susskind?
Is everything just 2d?
What do you think?

What do you think about the Holographic Universe (whole information of the universe on 2d Surface) researched by Craig Hogan, Leonard Susskind? Is everything just 2d? What do you think?
Very, very speculative. It's the kind of thing that gets in the popular press because it's cool to think about, not because there's anything remotely approaching a scientific consensus about it.

I think that the 2d universe concept is probably a useful tool for people who want to deal with the physics of information management. I don’t try to visualize it too much, because my puny human brain isn’t designed to do that. But I can respect the predictive power of these kinds of tools that physicists use.

Read something about it, hard to understand.
So Leonard Susskind only talks about the possiblity of information being encoded on a 2d surface of the universe, not about the universe being really only the surface?

This is where theoretical physics starts to lose me (my support, not my knowledge, which is not much to start with). I remember way back when I took Quantum Mech 101 in college, thinking to myself, something’s not quite kosher here. They seem to regard certain of the equations as actually existing as real things that interact with the physical universe versus just useful, though highly complex, tools. This 2D stuff sounds like that.
I also start to wonder, at those extreme small scales, how do they know they’re looking at something real versus a “ghost” of the tools they’re using?

Do we have a Physicist in the Audience?

Didn’t this start with the old but great book called Flatland?
Occam

Didn't this start with the old but great book called Flatland? Occam
Flatland, published in 1882. Author: Edwin Abbott. I guess he was ahead of his time. And who knew that squares, polygons, etc., face some of the same social problems as we, in our less dimensionally-challenged existence?

A quite understandable explanation by Susskind on youtube here].
It boils down to the fact that the informational content of a blackhole is proportional to the size of the surface of the event horizon of a black hole, instead to its volume. Now the event horizon is the border from behind which no information can reach us because it would need to be faster than light. We have something similar with the universe as a whole: because two points in the universe move from each other the faster they are from each other, there is an event horizon in the sense that they move from each other faster than light, so no information can be exchanged anymore. So the whole of the 3-dimensional visible universe has the same information content as the two dimensional surface of the event horizon.
So far my 4 sentence summary of the 55 minutes video…